What Projects Are You Considering This Winter?

I'm fond of telling friends that my to do list is so long it disappears over the horizon. What I don't tell them is that its largely because in my older years I rarely get any of them done! This winter I'll be happy if I can simply complete a rewiring home renovation project for the boss. Other things on my to do list that would be a bonus( not necessarily to be done by this winter, I never make myself deadlines any more);

get a milling machine
finish a vfd conversion on my bigger lathe
finish my tool post grinder restoration project
finish QCTP installations on both lathes
finish milling attachment installation for lathe
finish my Mitutoyo dial caliper restoration project
finish my Federal dial indicator restoration project
Finish my compressed air condenser project
finish my table saw fence project
build a cabinet for my metalworking tools
build another workshop work table
start my foundry furnace project
finish my recycled plastics extruder project
build a recycled plastics shredder
finish my old mill vise restoration project
restore a crashed computer
fix weather stripping and thresholds in the house
organize my paints and chemicals storage
build a fire proof outdoor box for holding hazardous chemicals
restore an old desk
cleanup my workshops: both garage and basement
build a weather station
reorganize my poly house storage area

etc.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
build a weather station

Ive had an interest in one of these for a long time. But it has slipped off my priority list. In fact that project didn't even make my winter list. What is your rough plan for this one?

Last edited:
Ive had an interest in one of these for a long time. But it has slipped off my priority list. In fact that project didn't even make my winter list. What is your rough plan for this one?
The idea originally was to buy something like the one in the link and mount it on top of an old TV tower.

Right now I don't even have the TV tower.

Hacker

Super User
Here is my wish list for me:

1. Get my friend's Studer FS71 running
1637418984948.png
1637419014657.png
1637419039786.png
2. Finish the infloor heating in the shop
3. Install 4 axis DRO on the mill.
4. Finish the Cincinnati Tool and Die grinder

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Chicken lights : it would be great to use it, but I would have problems not damaging the finish as my need will be for cutting out bad steel and welding (quite a bit) in new and then ....painting - probably a lot and possibly undercoating as well. Not sure I could avoid some form of abuse (the youngest lad will be also involved :D). Also it might be on the stand for several months......:oops:

You offer is fantastic though :cool:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
@Chicken lights : it would be great to use it, but I would have problems not damaging the finish as my need will be for cutting out bad steel and welding (quite a bit) in new and then ....painting - probably a lot and possibly undercoating as well. Not sure I could avoid some form of abuse (the youngest lad will be also involved :D). Also it might be on the stand for several months......:oops:

You offer is fantastic though :cool:
But it gets it out of my shop for a few months....
You’d be doing ME the favour. :D

Cutting and welding is fine, just cover it with paper if you’re gonna paint. It’s powder coated so it’s hard to ruin the finish

Brent H

Ultra Member
OK - well @Chicken lights we can make a date for the spring or a bit earlier when you have a few brief moments at home. I can wrap it no problem and will put down the fire blankets. Not much is needed for the Opel to mount. Just a few forks I would make up and then fit to your stand - not modifying anything. The height is perfect as the Opel needs only about 3 feet to swing (5 foot 3 wide)

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The idea originally was to buy something like the one in the link and mount it on top of an old TV tower.

Right now I don't even have the TV tower.
I have one from these guys:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
They seem to have updated their product line. Mine is similar to this

I like the phone app so I can see the weather at home from anywhere. It’s been a great toy I like it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 6

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
This highly depends in the lathe size and how much you want to cut with one pass. Generally a 10" swing lathe should be fine with 1hp & if you want more I have plenty of motors to sell. I assume you will use a VFD at some point to change motor speed - this will necessitate larger motor.

Steppers are as accurate as servos especially when combined with feedback I would not worry about it for hobby equipment. Generally bigger means you can move faster.
Would you happen to have any 3 phase motors? All of my motors are single phase, is it possible to use a vfd with a single phase motor?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They seem to have updated their product line. Mine is similar to this

I like the phone app so I can see the weather at home from anywhere. It’s been a great toy I like it.

As a farmer, I live by the weather.

The price is very attractive for what you get. I'm very tempted.

So how does this thing handle snow and freezing rain? Not looking for an excuse not to buy. No farming below zero. Just curious as hell.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
is it possible to use a vfd with a single phase motor?

VFDs power 3 phase motors only. they used to be readily available on kijiji...

In general, I agree with @Dabbler, and my recommendation is also to find a 3phase motor for your application.

Nonetheless, technology marches ever forward. I was very surprised to see that ATO & Leeson have both introduced new VFD's that can drive single phase motors. The capabilities are very limited compared to 3ph VFD's, and the sticker shock is major.

However, a 3ph VFD rated motor and VFD will still outrun the single phase systems by a very wide margin so I'd be looking for a 3ph motor and a regular VFD if I were you. You will be much happier with the end result. @Dabbler is the guy who talked me into trying that. I am sure glad he did. Words cannot describe the experience of running a VFD rated motor at 2Hz through to 120Hz - all as smooth as silk. I recently side cut 30 thou off of a full 2-1/2 inch block of steel at 5Hz. It's not necessarily what anyone would normally want to do, but the mere fact that I could do it had this old man smiling from ear to ear for days!

If you do decide to try a single phase system, please let us know how it goes. Even old dogs like us can enjoy learning new tricks! I have a single phase 220V lathe just waiting for the day that I feel comfy enough to try a single phase output VFD on it.