Sticky What Machines Do You have?

jgimp69

Where did you get the habit ?
Champion, Gearco, Sifto ?
I used to hail from Bayfield but got married and moved to Stratford and now Kitchener.
Did my millwrong apprenticeship in a plastic injection mold shop in London (Phillips Tool). Got a good education there. But I’ve been cutting chips since high school. We were luckily enough to have a pretty well equipped shop for a high school. Been hooked since then.

Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Did my millwrong apprenticeship in a plastic injection mold shop in London (Phillips Tool). Got a good education there. But I’ve been cutting chips since high school. We were luckily enough to have a pretty well equipped shop for a high school. Been hooked since then.
I apprenticed at Ex-Cell-O in Clinton after graduating from CHSS in Clinton.
A lot of machine shops were turned upside down in the mid-80s so I went back to school for process design and plastic extrusion.

GaryE

Just a quick update from when I joined the group a couple years ago. Managed to get through the painful process of transitioning my financial planning business to my partners, and stared retirement last March. Moved full tilt into finishing the new workshop and renovating the house in Prince Edward County. That has been a 7 day a week job for the last year. Heat and plumbing is complete in the workshop. Electrical and lighting about 50% done with more items coming on line as fast as I can install them. House reno is proceeding at a fevered pitch with an occupancy target around the end of May. Hope to be living in Prince Edward County full time, with a fully functional workshop by early Summer. Can't wait. :) Still have things to do like building workbenches and storage shelves, but most of my tools should be functional, even if in temporary spots. Decided to pick up my Craftex CX601 mill and Craftex CX709 lathe from Busy Bee last month while the spring sale is on. Items are still in the crates, but I have their spots in the new workshop ready to go now. I hope to crack them open in the next week or so and get them set up on their stands. Picked up a bunch of basic tooling to compliment the various small items I have accumulated over the past 20 years. Not sure when I'll be throwing chips as this will be my first time setting up a lathe and mill, and the reno is taking up 90% of my time right now. I'm pretty much starting from scratch with zero experience other than my grade 9 shop class when I made a cool screwdriver, and 20 years of watching youTube machining videos. :) I would have attended the meet up in April in Newmarket, but my friend and I will be in Toronto that day on a knife making course. Crappy timing unfortunately. I will shoot to attend next year's meet up. Cheers.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Agreed. Lol. I think things will look a little more like retirement later this year when all these big projects are behind me. Having fun despite the brisk pace.

I'd always take busy over bored.

Congrats on your retirement! First chips day is coming!

Too bad you will miss the meetup.

You keep referring to Prince Edward County. Is that different from Prince Edward Island?

GaryE

On Lake Ontario, near Belleville and Kingston. Beautiful area!
It is a beautiful area Martin. It's considered a "mini Niagara" and has become extremely touristy in the past 15 years. If you like to sip alcohol, there's a long list of places to sample in the area. Forty or so wineries, ten micro breweries, three or four distilleries, and half a dozen cider makers. Lots of antique places and artists. Lots of waterfront camping places, plus Sandbanks provincial park. It's a beehive of activity all summer, but it calms down in the cold months.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's a beehive of activity all summer, but it calms down in the cold months.

Sounds very nice! I've been to Belleville and Kingston. Spent lots of time in Shannonville showing cars to journalists for the car and truck of the year awards. Didn't know about Prince Edward County. I'll have to pay you a visit when summer comes.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
It is a beautiful area Martin. It's considered a "mini Niagara" and has become extremely touristy in the past 15 years. If you like to sip alcohol, there's a long list of places to sample in the area. Forty or so wineries, ten micro breweries, three or four distilleries, and half a dozen cider makers. Lots of antique places and artists. Lots of waterfront camping places, plus Sandbanks provincial park. It's a beehive of activity all summer, but it calms down in the cold months.
Beautiful area Gary.
Sandbanks PP, Wellington and peaceful places along the vineyards.
We have visited several times.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When we were in our early twenties, a group of us would go camping at Sandbanks Provincial Park for a number of years. And every year we got kicked out!! Too noisy; high levels of intoxication; large bon fires; flirting with the other campers, etc.

We've mellowed since.

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Machines left at the inn are the BP and little Hardinge DSM lathe along with all the needed shop accessories . Past machines are too many to list . Once all the extra stuff is gone I'll get another 12" or 13" and be done with my adventures and get back into restoring old tractors .

GaryE

When we were in our early twenties, a group of us would go camping at Sandbanks Provincial Park for a number of years. And every year we got kicked out!! Too noisy; high levels of intoxication; large bon fires; flirting with the other campers, etc.

We've mellowed since.
Lol! Ahhh, to be young and silly again

BaitMaster

Super User
I'm that neighbor that arc air gouges and pounds on steel with a sledge till midnight, careful what you wish for
This is why I use my quad to plow the sidewalks of my entire block. I got the cops called twice for working late and running an engine, started plowing, never again.

They look away from the blue light and noises now….. never had the cops called again.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member

We've mellowed since.
I camped at sandbanks one year for about 45 minutes lol. I think we were about 19-20 at the time. I showed up late after work friday night, and all my buddies and the girls had already been there for the day. Sandbanks staff had already had enough of them by the time I got there, and "we" were all asked to leave. I'd just finished setting up my tent and getting unpacked and was about halfway through the first beer. It's not a party park that's for sure. Most provincial parks run a pretty tight ship when it comes to that kinda stuff. As I've got older, and camp with the kids, I get that other side of it a lot more.

We went to Winding river in Sauble beach on may 24 for 4-5 years in a row, and it was the complete opposite.....Good times :D.

Wife has a friend with a cottage in Picton, and we do a winery/distillery tour every year. Nice area. Lots to do in the county. I usually get out on the Bay at least once a year to fish either summer, or winter.

GaryE

I camped at sandbanks one year for about 45 minutes lol. I think we were about 19-20 at the time. I showed up late after work friday night, and all my buddies and the girls had already been there for the day. Sandbanks staff had already had enough of them by the time I got there, and "we" were all asked to leave. I'd just finished setting up my tent and getting unpacked and was about halfway through the first beer. It's not a party park that's for sure. Most provincial parks run a pretty tight ship when it comes to that kinda stuff. As I've got older, and camp with the kids, I get that other side of it a lot more.

We went to Winding river in Sauble beach on may 24 for 4-5 years in a row, and it was the complete opposite.....Good times :D.

Wife has a friend with a cottage in Picton, and we do a winery/distillery tour every year. Nice area. Lots to do in the county. I usually get out on the Bay at least once a year to fish either summer, or winter.
Sounds like you’ve got a long history of visiting the area Dan. . We bought our house 15 years ago and just used it as a cottage in the summers, even though it’s not on the water. Sandbanks is a nice park, but we wanted to make sure we were not living too close to the park as it is crazy busy all summer. We chose acreage over water front so that we didn’t end up with neighbours right on top of us. 600 feet to my neighbours on either side and 300 feet across the road. I don’t have to be as concerned about making a little bit of noise while working on projects as I do now living in a subdivision. .

I’ve been up to Sauble beach a couple times myself. Really nice up there too.

Cheers.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Not really that much knowledge or history in the area TBH. Just a visit or two a year the past few and maybe 20-25 times total. Used to ice fish more there when I was younger, but went a long time without. Only in the last couple years have we started exploring around there more, the rest of the time was just to the boat launch, and back home again :D.

Our friend's cottage is just a house in town they bought to use as a "cottage" and escape the city. I wish they had some acreage, but they're not the acreage type. It's kinda funny, that I actually enjoy staying in town there and being able to walk to get food etc, as we live in the country, and it's a 20 minute drive for anything.

Sounds like you have a great place there. A lot of nice old homesteads and country properties down there that we drive by and talk about buying when we retire. We have that now, but would like to cash out of Durham region and move somewhere a bit cheaper someday. 15-20 years away anyway. Who knows what the future holds. Many beautiful places in Ontario.

GaryE

Not really that much knowledge or history in the area TBH. Just a visit or two a year the past few and maybe 20-25 times total. Used to ice fish more there when I was younger, but went a long time without. Only in the last couple years have we started exploring around there more, the rest of the time was just to the boat launch, and back home again :D.

Our friend's cottage is just a house in town they bought to use as a "cottage" and escape the city. I wish they had some acreage, but they're not the acreage type. It's kinda funny, that I actually enjoy staying in town there and being able to walk to get food etc, as we live in the country, and it's a 20 minute drive for anything.

Sounds like you have a great place there. A lot of nice old homesteads and country properties down there that we drive by and talk about buying when we retire. We have that now, but would like to cash out of Durham region and move somewhere a bit cheaper someday. 15-20 years away anyway. Who knows what the future holds. Many beautiful places in Ontario.
We're doing exactly that. Been in Ajax then Whitby for 45+ years. Selling the house here in Whitby as soon as the house in Picton is ready. :) Getting something "cheaper" in the County is pretty much impossible now. That ship sailed 15 years ago when the wineries started popping up everywhere. :-o The average house price in the County right now is 850K! Yikes. You should do fine if you're selling in Durham and buying further away from Toronto. Cheers.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The average house price in the County right now is 850K! Yikes.

Only 4 to 600k here for an average house. And 3/4 of that is due to low interest and lack of availability. With a bit higher interest rate and less immigration, that should drop like a stone.

I guess it depends what you want. I hear that prices in the Maritimes are even better.