• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

What kind of welding machines you guys have ? Anyone got a Miller multimatic 220?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Got the bride's car fixed up at a body shop 45 minutes away after hitting a deer. The fellow there invited me over for a sheet metal welding lesson.......

Be still my heart.......

Snocrusher

(Greg)
I have a ESAB Multimaster 260 and a TD Cutmaster 50
And a myriad of corded, cordless and pneumatic grinders to dress up my efforts with the above.

I had a PrincessAuto mig welder and it served me well. This year bought a Primeweld TIG 225x and got rid of the Mig lets me do more things. If I need something for dirty stuff, the 225x does stick as well, though I don't think I'll need it.

LRSbm146

Picking out a welding machine is a pretty difficult task these days. All the different colours and features vs. the prices.
When I picked out my machine I knew the parameters I wanted and it still wasn’t easy. My budget was pretty flexible to a point.
I wanted a DC inverter for stick and tig only (I avoid all things wirefeed like the plague)
Stick 50-130 amps
Tig 10-130 amps
110-220v
Didn’t want a bunch of features that nobody knows how to use... no foot pedal, no solenoids.
Went with an ESAB 161LTS and paid just under $600 from a local shop. For tig it’s lift arc only and I use a weldcraft/Miller 9 series torch with a gas valve on the handle and a flow meter on the bottle.
I usually run it on 220v but done lots of low amp tig on 110v. The tig arc is as smooth as any Miller I’ve used but haven’t tried putting in a root with it.
It’s burned mostly 3/32” stick and some 1/8”.... 7018, 309, 308, 316 and inco with no problems. It even seems to restart stubs better than the millers we use at work.

Attachments

• 4FEBDECE-6034-4D9F-8DE3-5F05D37E3C8A.jpeg
    4FEBDECE-6034-4D9F-8DE3-5F05D37E3C8A.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So I have a small 115volt Deca mig welder and think I want to upgrade to something that has more Amps for heavier material. I do have a good AC/DC stick machine for my heaviest welding but I like the ease and convenience of a mig for alot of stuff.
I haven't TIG welded before nor welded aluminum and don't suspect I will need to do much of either in the future either.

I think the Hobart 210MVP looks like a suitable fit for me but I'm wondering if I should be considering the multiprocess machine out there instead. Is there any benefit to them for just mig welding?

Any suggestions? I think the $1400-1500 price tag of the Hobart 210 MVP is about all I can/should spend.

Tom O

Ultra Member
My first tig was like that but only a 100 amps Princess Auto Special still it was good for the body repair I was doing at the time.

Tom O

Ultra Member
That’s the rub you never know what you’ll work on or material I’d go for AC/DC just to cover the bases, pulse is nice but not needed always.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Here's my setup. Lincoln 180c Mig and spool gun, Lincoln Squarewave 175 tig, and a herocut 55 plasma. All run off a 40amp breaker (biggest I can get for my panel) and I haven't run into any projects they've let me down on. I've also got an ac225 buzz box but after stick welding with the tig on DC I relegated it to barn duty for use with the generator if I ever need it. I've only got 80cf bottles from TSC and will be looking into getting some bigger ones shortly if anybody has any recommendations in the east gta (peterborough-oshawa-porthope) area?
bA0EVK5l.jpg

I used to have a hobart 135 but gave it away to a buddy starting out. He promptly sold it, and If I would have know that I would have kept it lol. Was a handy machine for sheet metal/body work stuff and I've missed it a few times since.

When I went looking beginning of last year, I considered my options in terms of the application/$$$ spent. As Multi-purpose as possible, affordable, features to expand, good warranty.

What I came up with was the Primeweld TIG 225X for the following reasons:

AC/DC Tig (Allows for Aluminum).
High Frequency Start
Peddle and Trigger
Pulse and Pulse Duty

Second it had Stick DC only, but thats ok,

Dual Voltage 120/240

Max power with reduced duty Cycle 225amps TIG, never exceed 155amps yet (and thats 100%)

Max Power Stick 155amps and thats 100%

Finally uses Quality Stinger CK Worldwide and can be water cooled Tig (need water cooler and stinger) which increase TIG time (Stinger stays cool so I've read).

Got rid of my MIG, truefully, while its faster and costs less to run, TIG is easier, cleaner and more precise. If I need down and dirty, Stick.....which it does.

@LRSbm146

True be told, all the knobs seem intimidating at first, but follow the manual (and a couple of YouTubers), I general set about 4 knobs, and play with power a bit (set it to the highest I need, not more, advise from a few welding YouTubes).

Peddle and Solenoid, are important as follows:

Solenoid safes GAS, reduces operating cost,

Peddle, takes a little to get use to (because you need to control distance for the stinger, feed wire and control power), doesn't take long to get the hang of it, and the quality of the welds are so controlable.

One other thing is the Tungsten, I use 2% Lanthenated, not the best for particular applications but does everything well (or extremely well) again some of the YouTube advise. So far can't complain one less item to get used too. Second was I stick to a #5 Cup and the thinner Tungsten until I finally need to Upgrade.

I've welded Cast Iron, Stainless Steel, Hot Rolled, Colded Rolled and Aluminum (Aluminum still needs a little more practice to get right), total time on machine maybe 2-3hrs. Wasted a lot of gas (tank) first 2 hrs getting the set up right.

So for US$825 (less a discount of $10.00 and free shipping to my US Address, commercial import no cost for me) this is CDN$1100.00.

DOn't forget whatever you buy, Tank and consummables add to this cost.

LRSbm146

@Degen welding machines are a real Ford vs Chevy conversation. Hahaha

I think a lot of people over machine themselves because of something they saw on YouTube. Tig welding aluminum is an art in itself. Depending on a persons needs, they would probably have more success and satisfaction from a spool gun for aluminum.
Probably started about 5 years ago, we stopped bringing out diesel welders on field jobs and started using the little Miller maxstar dc stick/tig inverters. I’ve seen things done to those machines that should never be done to any machine and they don’t die. Can be wired up to just about anything.
Couple of maxstar action shots.

Attachments

• EF426605-3010-450E-BF9A-08F8D823AF6E.jpeg
    EF426605-3010-450E-BF9A-08F8D823AF6E.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 5
  • C01B0198-1D41-49E1-AED1-60BA8CAB1EB5.jpeg
    C01B0198-1D41-49E1-AED1-60BA8CAB1EB5.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 5
Have to say my 3rd weld (about 15mins after starting the welder) was on poorly prepped Al, not a bad weld actually considering.

I've welded with a flux core mig for about 20 yrs (if you call what I did as welding ;) it held together is what counted).

For me, the learning curve was vastly quicker on the tig. I can see all the benefits of the extra features and will make use of them as needed.

I have learned in life under buying is way more costly than over buying if you can afford it.

MW/MC

I have a Miller Dynasty 200 Dx tig,
Migmatic 200 mig, Lincoln ranger 250 portable and a couple of plasma cutters to round it out.
I have the same one I’m thinking of selling it and my Miller 211 mig and get the multimatic 200
The dx200 is To much machine for me

MW/MC

@Degen welding machines are a real Ford vs Chevy conversation. Hahaha

I think a lot of people over machine themselves because of something they saw on YouTube. Tig welding aluminum is an art in itself. Depending on a persons needs, they would probably have more success and satisfaction from a spool gun for aluminum.
Probably started about 5 years ago, we stopped bringing out diesel welders on field jobs and started using the little Miller maxstar dc stick/tig inverters. I’ve seen things done to those machines that should never be done to any machine and they don’t die. Can be wired up to just about anything.
Couple of maxstar action shots.
Looks like some 146 action there !! Welcome

Gearhead88

Super User
Right out of high school I was a welder for several years off & on . I've done a great deal of production welding , Stick & Mig , later on some Tig . I never mastered Tig , some days I rocked , some days I sucked . I still own a mig and can still lay it down with that .
I have not Tig welded in 20 years .
I bought a Miller Syncrowave 180 SD on Saturday , I need a bit of time to gather everything I need for this and be up n' running .

Maybe gonna buy a fancy auto darkening helmet , looking around revealed , man they don't give those away . 5A479E55-7EAA-41C9-A9DF-F5495F9DF0EB.jpeg

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Right out of high school I was a welder for several years off & on . I've done a great deal of production welding , Stick & Mig , later on some Tig . I never mastered Tig , some days I rocked , some days I sucked . I still own a mig and can still lay it down with that .
I bought a Miller Syncrowave 180 SD on Saturday , I need a bit of time to gather everything I need for this and be up n' running .
That is funny....I just sold a Syncrowave 180 SD on Saturday! :) Nice machine. You will like it. The manual is available on line but I just downloaded it for the buyer of mine and I wanted to check the points gap. PM me and I can email it to you if you want it.

Cheers,

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver

Maybe gonna buy a fancy auto darkening helmet , looking around revealed , man they don't give those away .View attachment 21080
Depends how fancy you want, I picked up an auto darkening lid from crappy tire for around $90, on sale