• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Wanted: Table Top Hobby Size Bandsaw

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This brings backs memories of junior high shop class.

Sure does, doesn't it. Mr Homunchuck and those 5 min severed fingers, screw driver in the eyeball safety videos at the beginning of every class LOL.

Videos? Wait... those weren't invented yet. Safety films.

Brian H

Super User
Just my .02. I purchased a Milwaukee porta band and mounted it in a bench vise. I had a horrible time at first blades would only make a couple cuts then break. I stumbled across Lennox blades on sale at Lowes and after using them for the weekend I went and cleaned off the shelf.(the associate said they were clearing them out and were discontinuing them) I just put my second blade on and its been close to a year. band saw pic.jpg

Johnwa

Ultra Member
What brand is your saw Kevin? I have one sitting in my garage that looks very similar, another tool I’ve collected but never used LOL.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Here’s a picture of mine. I couldn’t get a better picture without having to do a lot of moving. It is a Kwik-cut

Attachments

• 560C37B2-A7D5-4D9E-B300-E00CEAD50C92.jpeg
    560C37B2-A7D5-4D9E-B300-E00CEAD50C92.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 0

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Mine is a kwik cut as well. Made in Canada (Manitoba)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Kevin
What size motor is that, is it enough? Mine is 3/4hp and doesn’t mount very well. Also where do you get blades from?

Thanks
John

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Mine has a 1/3 hp motor which is also mounted "poorly ". I'm addressing that this afternoon

1/3 seems fine for what I'm cutting, as the is little or no binding

For blades I just ordered from kbc as they have a power hacksaw specific blade (starret). Blade was about 20 bucks

The blade will need a tweak to fit (Grind a profile)

The blades it came with are from COOP but I haven't seen anything that sturdy anywhere until I found the kbc blade

7d6f9b5546138636c85b4e4b04847e8c.jpg

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Well since you asked. [emoji51]

1954 ford NAA tractor. Was trying to loosen a bolt on the generator -- pinched thumb against the frame when it broke loose.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Found the next best thing.... A power hacksaw.

A BIG thank you to Johnwa for selling me his unused machine. Man he has got a pile of metal working machinery packed into his garage. Several lathes, mill, shaper, planer, and other stuff. Was fun visiting.

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Congrats! I just rewired mine last night -- modifying it to include a belt tensioner tonight. Cut some 1" x 2" solid bar last night, nice and smooth.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I'd be interested in pulley diameters on yours (to get an idea of strokes/minute). Anything larger than a 1" on the motor makes mine stupid fast. I may increase the main pulley to got a bigger one on the back end.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
New home. Still need to find a spot for it. Space is getting TIGHT!!

1.JPG

2.JPG

Has a whopping big 3/4 hp motor. Motor pully is 1.5" dia and the saw pully is 4.25". Don't think the motor pully is original equipment.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Looks like regular hacksaw blades, the ones I have a pretty beefy

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I love it! Shuts off right on Q, makes a nice neat straight cut. I should probably source some of those beefier blades.

My attempt to post a video of it in action was blocked:( Sounds like an old steam engine when it's running.

Last edited:

GrayTech

Johnwa, that there is a power hacksaw. They work great, but a bit slower. Blades should be a snap now you know what it is.

Edit... Looks like it's been identified already...

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Looks like regular hacksaw blades, the ones I have a pretty beefy

Hey Kevin, could you please provide a link to the KBC blade you mentioned. Looks like I need one.

BAD.JPG

Doesn't cut straight in the vertical. Does ok on the horizontal.

Or is this a different issue.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Here is a link to the parent page Hacksaw Page KBC

I went with the Starrett brand, part # 1-856-40098

The blade length is measure hole-center to hole-center, so 12".