• Guest, Help us understand what we can do better in future. Click Here!

Wanted: Table Top Hobby Size Bandsaw

Just my .02. I purchased a Milwaukee porta band and mounted it in a bench vise. I had a horrible time at first blades would only make a couple cuts then break. I stumbled across Lennox blades on sale at Lowes and after using them for the weekend I went and cleaned off the shelf.(the associate said they were clearing them out and were discontinuing them) I just put my second blade on and its been close to a year. band saw pic.jpg

Johnwa

What brand is your saw Kevin? I have one sitting in my garage that looks very similar, another tool I’ve collected but never used LOL.

Johnwa

Kevin
What size motor is that, is it enough? Mine is 3/4hp and doesn’t mount very well. Also where do you get blades from?

Thanks
John

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Mine has a 1/3 hp motor which is also mounted "poorly ". I'm addressing that this afternoon

1/3 seems fine for what I'm cutting, as the is little or no binding

For blades I just ordered from kbc as they have a power hacksaw specific blade (starret). Blade was about 20 bucks

The blade will need a tweak to fit (Grind a profile)

The blades it came with are from COOP but I haven't seen anything that sturdy anywhere until I found the kbc blade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Well since you asked.

1954 ford NAA tractor. Was trying to loosen a bolt on the generator -- pinched thumb against the frame when it broke loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found the next best thing.... A power hacksaw.

A BIG thank you to Johnwa for selling me his unused machine. Man he has got a pile of metal working machinery packed into his garage. Several lathes, mill, shaper, planer, and other stuff. Was fun visiting.

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I'd be interested in pulley diameters on yours (to get an idea of strokes/minute). Anything larger than a 1" on the motor makes mine stupid fast. I may increase the main pulley to got a bigger one on the back end.

New home. Still need to find a spot for it. Space is getting TIGHT!!

1.JPG

2.JPG

Has a whopping big 3/4 hp motor. Motor pully is 1.5" dia and the saw pully is 4.25". Don't think the motor pully is original equipment.

I love it! Shuts off right on Q, makes a nice neat straight cut. I should probably source some of those beefier blades.

My attempt to post a video of it in action was blocked:( Sounds like an old steam engine when it's running.

Last edited:
Johnwa, that there is a power hacksaw. They work great, but a bit slower. Blades should be a snap now you know what it is.

Edit... Looks like it's been identified already...

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk