Train horns

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On the Ferry i operated we had air horns and the old Cat 855 motor had an air throttle. If you ran the air horn at full throttle the motor slowed down. Air lines were to small.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No face plate and yes it’s aluminum

You in Chatham again anytime soon? Didn't work out last time. If so, plan to drop by here with your parts and we can have some fun together! My lathe can prolly handle that job just fine and if not, we have many other ways.

Lots of ways to skin that cat!

Nothing beats doing a project with a friend.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
You in Chatham again anytime soon? Didn't work out last time. If so, plan to drop by here with your parts and we can have some fun together! My lathe can prolly handle that job just fine and if not, we have many other ways.

Lots of ways to skin that cat!

Nothing beats doing a project with a friend.
Uhhh no offence I try to avoid Chatham :D
Windsor/Detroit is my least favourite place to cross. I’ll throw it on the truck next week, that’s a kind offer to help

Chicken lights

No offense taken. I'd move out west if my wife would agree.
The guys here say nows not good, theres little work, lots of equipment sitting. But it’s tempting....

This is hard to admit but the more time I spend in even Saskatchewan the more I like it there. Heck I didn’t know Manitoba had a cottage country until the last trip out. The fact Regina has a beach still makes me chuckle

But I digress

Chicken lights

EBFD8127-E731-4254-A789-4FFB9ABFA86B.jpeg 3579FFB5-32C1-462F-90AE-E6E5C11B1DB6.jpeg ABD2D623-CB41-4669-82C6-43BBE0E3AE09.jpeg @Brent H helped make the 4” circles. Then tonight after some careful setup I finished punching the holes. Once I had the jig set right, the rest was easy. 1/2” all the way through the center, and for now 3/8” for the mounting bolts. All set to drop off to get welded up

I have airlines to run for another project soon, so that would be a good time, do both at once.

Chicken lights

8AACA0EC-CDFE-4214-8C88-41DE479B19B2.jpeg A3CF4F48-96F4-4EA9-AB15-29CE904ED49F.jpeg Kinda sorta where and how they’ll mount, although I think I’m gonna run the home 20 part vertical, as a splash shield, using the 90 degree piece. Cut another piece of stainless to lay flat. It’s a crappy picture, but the round thing is my fuel tank, there’s a nice bracket and lots of room to mount them

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
View attachment 24681View attachment 24682Kinda sorta where and how they’ll mount, although I think I’m gonna run the home 20 part vertical, as a splash shield, using the 90 degree piece. Cut another piece of stainless to lay flat. It’s a crappy picture, but the round thing is my fuel tank, there’s a nice bracket and lots of room to mount them

You do like loud noises don't you!

I think you are having way too much fun!

Chicken lights

You do like loud noises don't you!

I think you are having way too much fun!
The weenie air horn on this truck is embarrassing, frankly. Might as well be a “meep meep” horn

Unless something else breaks, getting these mounted and plumbed are moved back up the list. I’ve been working on airlines for traction adding devices when I’ve had time recently, so planning on installing the air valves and lines as one big project, hopefully the fab shop can weld these up fairly fast for me

I want to replace an air tank at the same time, for a lot of reasons. IH tried using air fittings held in with snap rings that nobody sells or carries, so the short way to fix a bunch of obsolete (leaking) fittings is to replace the tank, giving me a spot to tap into for train horn air supply.

It’s combining like 6 repairs / projects into one at this point

It’s ridiculous

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The weenie air horn on this truck is embarrassing, frankly. Might as well be a “meep meep” horn

Unless something else breaks, getting these mounted and plumbed are moved back up the list. I’ve been working on airlines for traction adding devices when I’ve had time recently, so planning on installing the air valves and lines as one big project, hopefully the fab shop can weld these up fairly fast for me

I want to replace an air tank at the same time, for a lot of reasons. IH tried using air fittings held in with snap rings that nobody sells or carries, so the short way to fix a bunch of obsolete (leaking) fittings is to replace the tank, giving me a spot to tap into for train horn air supply.

It’s combining like 6 repairs / projects into one at this point

It’s ridiculous

Ridiculous is a good choice of words, but so is awesome! It's amazing all the things you are doing to deal with it all!

Teach me something. How do air devices improve traction? Is that kinda like ABS where the wheels that are spinning are braked a little to redistribute loads to those that are not?

I think a huge big rig that goes meep meep would be hilarious! Especially if it can roar like a freight train too!

Chicken lights

Teach me something. How do air devices improve traction? Is that kinda like ABS where the wheels that are spinning are braked a little to redistribute loads to those that are not?
I have two drive axles, one drive shaft from the transmission to the front one, then a second driveshaft from the front axle to the rear axle. Even though (on big trucks) it’s all at the back end of my truck, think of it like 4 wheel drive on a pickup

I have an air actuated power divider (think going from 2wd to 4wd on a pickup) that sends driven power to both axles

My rear drive axle has an air actuated locker, that makes all four rear wheels turn the same. There’s a sliding collar driven by air that moves to a set of splines on one axle shaft to do so

My front drive axle is open, but I have one with a locker to replace it.

IH did funny things with air lines, the power divider had air supplied from the brakes. The locker uses air from the transmission. While I’m sure someone somewhere thinks that’s brilliant I’m going to redo that to have them supplied from my dry air tank (likely “safety” or to limit driver error) Partly for diagnostics to have them on separate switches/circuits, but mostly for driver control, assuming the driver knows what he’s doing

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have two drive axles, one drive shaft from the transmission to the front one, then a second driveshaft from the front axle to the rear axle. Even though (on big trucks) it’s all at the back end of my truck, think of it like 4 wheel drive on a pickup

I have an air actuated power divider (think going from 2wd to 4wd on a pickup) that sends driven power to both axles

My rear drive axle has an air actuated locker, that makes all four rear wheels turn the same. There’s a sliding collar driven by air that moves to a set of splines on one axle shaft to do so

IH did funny things with air lines, the power divider had air supplied from the brakes. The locker uses air from the transmission. While I’m sure someone somewhere thinks that’s brilliant I’m going to redo that to have them supplied from my dry air tank (likely “safety” or to limit driver error) Partly for diagnostics to have them on separate switches/circuits, but mostly for driver control, assuming the driver knows what he’s doing

Thanks @Chicken lights , I have a much better idea of it all now.

Very very cool! If I understand you, there are 3 locks: front diff to rear diff, side to side on the front diff, and side to side on the rear diff. You have the front to back and you have the side to side on the rear. You also have a replacement side to side front that you are planning to install.

All of this is air activated via switches in the cab. But the overall design sucks mostly because the air source the factory chose wasn't exactly brilliant.......

As you prolly know, the 4WD switch on most pickups and cars is really just front to rear 2WD.......LOL! (still twice as good as one). There are some nice exceptions that have 3wd and a few true 4wd systems.

When I first asked the question, I was thinking about the Mercedes system that uses the ABS brake control system to selectively stop wheels from spinning which transfers torque to the wheel with traction. I didn't really imagine anything like big sleeves to physically couple the shafts! But that's just me thinking small again!

So my big burning question is..... Are they clutched? Or are they at the mercy of the driver's knowledge and skill level to engage them? And what happens if they get stuck in lock? I can't get my head around the effect of the weight difference between the front steering wheels and those two big drive axles. The axles could have wagon weight on them so in my minds eye I see those two steering wheels plowing around at the mercy of the drive wheels..... (Insert picture here of drivers eyes bugging out cuz he forgot to release the locks and has no steering.....)

All three of my tractors are Front Assist with a manual rear axle lock. Even with giant Ag tires up front, those things have a mind of their own when it's time to turn a corner.....

Your minds eye is correct, in that lockers definitely effect steering. Makes for interesting times when you are chained up, lockers engaged, chewing and clawing for every inch of ground while pushing a foot of snow up the hill and trying to finagle your way around a switch back..... Getting off the throttle a little bit helps, but usually disengaging one or both of the lockers briefly is needed, but then you need to get back off the throttle briefly to re-engage so you aren't trying to lock up while spinning a wheel. Most of the newer trucks I have driven automatically kick the lockers out once you shift into high range, I wish one would stay in sometimes.......
Originally I thought chicken lights was installing a set of spinning chains in front of the axles, I can't remember the brand name, our line of work here plowing snow is hard on chains and the conventional style of triple chains are about all that will hold up and be cost effective.

Chicken lights

Your minds eye is correct, in that lockers definitely effect steering. Makes for interesting times when you are chained up, lockers engaged, chewing and clawing for every inch of ground while pushing a foot of snow up the hill and trying to finagle your way around a switch back..... Getting off the throttle a little bit helps, but usually disengaging one or both of the lockers briefly is needed, but then you need to get back off the throttle briefly to re-engage so you aren't trying to lock up while spinning a wheel. Most of the newer trucks I have driven automatically kick the lockers out once you shift into high range, I wish one would stay in sometimes.......
Originally I thought chicken lights was installing a set of spinning chains in front of the axles, I can't remember the brand name, our line of work here plowing snow is hard on chains and the conventional style of triple chains are about all that will hold up and be cost effective.
The locker (in my truck) gets air from the low range transmission air. That’s why it kicks out in high range, and I agree with you, it’s annoying. I don’t see any reason to keep it that way.

This truck came with a set of Scan Trac triples, they’re a different design than the traditional heavy triples. Plus a lot lighter to carry

Chicken lights

Thanks @Chicken lights , I have a much better idea of it all now.

Very very cool! If I understand you, there are 3 locks: front diff to rear diff, side to side on the front diff, and side to side on the rear diff. You have the front to back and you have the side to side on the rear. You also have a replacement side to side front that you are planning to install.

All of this is air activated via switches in the cab. But the overall design sucks mostly because the air source the factory chose wasn't exactly brilliant.......

As you prolly know, the 4WD switch on most pickups and cars is really just front to rear 2WD.......LOL! (still twice as good as one). There are some nice exceptions that have 3wd and a few true 4wd systems.

When I first asked the question, I was thinking about the Mercedes system that uses the ABS brake control system to selectively stop wheels from spinning which transfers torque to the wheel with traction. I didn't really imagine anything like big sleeves to physically couple the shafts! But that's just me thinking small again!

So my big burning question is..... Are they clutched? Or are they at the mercy of the driver's knowledge and skill level to engage them? And what happens if they get stuck in lock? I can't get my head around the effect of the weight difference between the front steering wheels and those two big drive axles. The axles could have wagon weight on them so in my minds eye I see those two steering wheels plowing around at the mercy of the drive wheels..... (Insert picture here of drivers eyes bugging out cuz he forgot to release the locks and has no steering.....)

All three of my tractors are Front Assist with a manual rear axle lock. Even with giant Ag tires up front, those things have a mind of their own when it's time to turn a corner.....
F7C17611-ACD3-41A2-BB7F-1A71B744478D.jpeg F010D2B3-7CAA-47DC-8D19-66322C1D05E9.jpeg You’re starting to test the limits of my knowledge, but I believe the collar (orange) slides onto the set of splines on the axle shaft (also orange), when air is delivered to the air cylinder (blue). The power divider is green.

I don’t know if internally it’s setup like a Detroit locker and there is a way for it to ratchet/slip. I highly doubt there will be any friction material like in a posi. I’m only guessing but I’m leaning towards it’s locked solid.

historicalarms

Ultra Member

Commonly referred to as "chains on the dash"....just pull the air buttons on the dash instead of physically getting out to install jewelry on an icy hill in the middle of a blizzard

Aliva

Super User
In 2009 I bought a new Ford F150 extend cab I decide to install a train horn . So I bought a complete kit, compressor, 10 gallon receiver all the required tubing valves and solenoid. The horn consisted of 4 trumpets of various lengths from, 18" down to 12" . They actually fit perfectly behind the front grill. There was also enough room for the compressor. The system pressure was 140psi. The horn manifold was fed by a 3/8 air line then 1/4' to each trumpet. This thing was extremely loud and was a perfect mimic of a standard CN or CP engine. It sure got everyone's attention when I used it. Just had to use it with caution. I checked with the local police and the HTA in Ontario and there is no decibel limit on a " signaling device", so as far as I know it was legal. Just don't get stupid with, I never had an issue. On the way home from work one day I was coming up to one of the company's rail crossings were an engine was shunting some cars. I decided to give a toot , the engineer in in the loco started looking around for an other engine on his track and franticly started to blow his horn. That was the first and last time I did that. If anyone's interested I bought the kit from:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
View attachment 24685View attachment 24686You’re starting to test the limits of my knowledge, but I believe the collar (orange) slides onto the set of splines on the axle shaft (also orange), when air is delivered to the air cylinder (blue). The power divider is green.

I don’t know if internally it’s setup like a Detroit locker and there is a way for it to ratchet/slip. I highly doubt there will be any friction material like in a posi. I’m only guessing but I’m leaning towards it’s locked solid.

I think I got it!

I wasn't thinking limited slip like posi, I was thinking clutch on the air activated sleeve engagement. But your photos make it clear that neither one is there. So I'd bet that you are right. It gets locked up solid!

All cool.

I especially like the photo of the diff on the pallet..... Prolly need a forklift to move that thing around! No wusses need apply here.....