• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Train horns

francist

Super User
That would probably work. You thinking bolt the whistle to aluminum disk and then bring the air in from the side of the disk, hence the 1” thickness? Otherwise, I’ve used 1/2” aluminum for just a mounting bracket with a clearance hole through the centre for the fitting. Mine were stationary mounts though, not on a vehicle where there will be some vibration.

I’m not sure what the underside of the foot on your red one looks like — many of mine are the older sand-cast whistles which had a threaded foot. I do have one newer die cast Nathan (albeit with a broken foot) that has the newer method using an O-ring groove.

Here’s a few shots of the various stanchions on mine, from a single mount on the K-1L, twin mount on the K-12, and then the newer, broken Nathan. FYI - if these break anywhere it will be the two “ears” on the mounting foot where the bolt holes go through, especially if they’re mounted on the side of a cab, say, or overtightened. With the exception of the K-1L which was Navy, all of mine were on logging equipment which of course comes with its own set of perils.

3721D29A-1B42-4D2A-BCCB-3A047785B2D2.jpeg 0D2CED18-9909-4017-9B37-C31AFB1478DD.jpeg D6367C04-D3D6-4706-8256-D22518C8C4DC.jpeg

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
30C684DB-EB92-4706-9072-A8D2351E488D.jpeg 83CF8CAC-2289-4201-B7D3-768358E82C68.jpeg
@francist
That’s what’s on the red one. I just picked 1” arbitrarily, the threads on that one are quite deep. Someone smarter than me can probably tell me how deep 1/2” NPT threads need to be to properly tighten.

francist

Super User
Wait...why do you have train horns Frank?
What do you mean, don’t you have any??

Seriously, long story and as if often true with long stories ‘... it all started with one small one...’ and went sideways from there. In these parts they’re often called whistles after the actual steam whistles that were on the donkey engines in the bush, and even though technically they’re horns the whistle term still holds.

Why do I have them? There’s a logging connection in the extended family, coastal loggers like boats, boats need whistles, and I’ve been known to be good at restoring things. That’s how it started, and then we just thought they were really cool and were positioned to collect a few. I also lucked into an Airchime whistle control console (also ex-RCN) from back in the day when Capital Iron still sold real salvage. Others came from the bush.

They’re a neat part of our coastal history, and I still like having them around. Just need to figure how to mount one on a sewing machine now.... ;)

francist

Super User
That’s what’s on the red one. I just picked 1” arbitrarily, the threads on that one are quite deep
Oh, you should be golden then. They usually pipe straight into that female thread with a whatever-length nipple and that flange gets bolted straight to cab roof or wherever with a rubber gasket between. You could make an adapter plate or (transition plate might be a better term) depending on what you’re mounting or if you don’t want to run pipe straight through.

I threaded quick connect fittings into the bases of mine so I could decouple them from a single air source but that was just for convenience.

Chicken lights

Oh, you should be golden then. They usually pipe straight into that female thread with a whatever-length nipple and that flange gets bolted straight to cab roof or wherever with a rubber gasket between. You could make an adapter plate or (transition plate might be a better term) depending on what you’re mounting or if you don’t want to run pipe straight through.

I threaded quick connect fittings into the bases of mine so I could decouple them from a single air source but that was just for convenience.
I suck at drawings but I was thinking to make a 90 degree plate to bolt all three to, and mount them on one of the frame crossmembers. I’ve ordered in a couple brass T’s to build a manifold, but still looking at options

Chicken lights

What do you mean, don’t you have any??

Seriously, long story and as if often true with long stories ‘... it all started with one small one...’ and went sideways from there. In these parts they’re often called whistles after the actual steam whistles that were on the donkey engines in the bush, and even though technically they’re horns the whistle term still holds.

Why do I have them? There’s a logging connection in the extended family, coastal loggers like boats, boats need whistles, and I’ve been known to be good at restoring things. That’s how it started, and then we just thought they were really cool and were positioned to collect a few. I also lucked into an Airchime whistle control console (also ex-RCN) from back in the day when Capital Iron still sold real salvage. Others came from the bush.

They’re a neat part of our coastal history, and I still like having them around. Just need to figure how to mount one on a sewing machine now.... ;)
I thought some of the history behind them was cool, that’s why I posted a couple links at the start of this

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
Ha! I'm curious did you air up the lil' red riding horn and find it lacking ?
A chord is much better than a single note.
With your border pick- ups for forum members you could add "Blockade Runner " to "Forum Bootlegger"

Chicken lights

Ha! I'm curious did you air up the lil' red riding horn and find it lacking ?
A chord is much better than a single note.
With your border pick- ups for forum members you could add "Blockade Runner " to "Forum Bootlegger"
Nope! A friend aired up the lil’ red horn and our ears rang for a good hour afterwards. I knew enough to be 50 feet away and still it was loud.

Ha! I like blockade runner :D

francist

Super User
I was thinking to make a 90 degree plate to bolt all three to, and mount them on one of the frame crossmember
That sounds reasonable. Something like this, if I’m understanding correctly...
1AA119A8-0049-4188-9B58-94D316E2376A.png
I’m sure you can come up with something that will work, I’ve seen how you think. My main concern if I were doing it would be to somehow plan for the vibration over long periods of time. The larger horns are pretty heavy and almost all the weight is sticking out the front, wonder if there’d be a way to clamp a safety strap or something onto the front lip of the bells? Or maybe support them from underneath with a longer platform too, that might do it.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Nope! A friend aired up the lil’ red horn and our ears rang for a good hour afterwards. I knew enough to be 50 feet away and still it was loud.

Ha! I like blockade runner :D

While reading the last couple days postings in this thread i was thinking when I got to the end i would suggest to you, Dave, that you mount that unit as far back from the cab as you can...I guess you know that already....and point it back.
If you have them all plumbed and mounted as a unit you can still get a sense of each ones tone by just plugging two at a time with a rag in the muzzle. it really is amazing how each one will have a completely different blast tone but it takes all three in unison to really create the locomotive warning. I agree that they are "air hogs"...those needles on your air tanks are going to move quicker with a horn blast that they will in a panic breaking episode ( according to Stan, my buddy of the RR crossing story)

Chicken lights

While reading the last couple days postings in this thread i was thinking when I got to the end i would suggest to you, Dave, that you mount that unit as far back from the cab as you can...I guess you know that already....and point it back.
If you have them all plumbed and mounted as a unit you can still get a sense of each ones tone by just plugging two at a time with a rag in the muzzle. it really is amazing how each one will have a completely different blast tone but it takes all three in unison to really create the locomotive warning. I agree that they are "air hogs"...those needles on your air tanks are going to move quicker with a horn blast that they will in a panic breaking episode ( according to Stan, my buddy of the RR crossing story)
That’s exactly how they were mounted on the other truck, and I planned something similar

Tom O

Ultra Member
Now just hook them up to the garage door and wait for the lowlifes to come! ........ Maybe a sign
“ TP available at house”

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Now just hook them up to the garage door and wait for the lowlifes to come! ........ Maybe a sign
“ TP available at house”

Thats exactly why they are mounted where they are.
I apologize for the pigeon shit but the shop door got damaged and jammed open for a while and a few birds decided to roost above the horns...until they became "supper" one evening...I discovered all the hoopla about "pigeon pie" is a fallacy big time ...I fixed the door!
There is a trip line from the small shop door to a 1/2" ball valve that dumps 1/2" volume air tru the blue line seen attached. If that door is opened by an unwanted intruder, i can guarantee that he will vacate the premises in haste.
Air line is fed by 70 gallons of air storage, lasts about 10 seconds at full volume and diminishes down to a squeal at 15 seconds...might not seem to be that long but I can guarantee that the guy aint coming back anytime soon. When I finished the install, of course i had to give er a rip to see if my intended usage would be "sound"...when I popped that dump valve for the first time I couldn't close it fast enough to suit me at all...that first blast lasted all of one second and inside that shop, that was enough for me for a lifetime.