• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Train horns

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Let's see a pic of what you have so far.... Put something in the image for size reference.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Is it legal for a semi? Wow that will surely rattle their teeth while messing their undies.

francist

Super User
I have a few as well, collected over the years. Last time I ran them was for the front line workers salute every evening during the height of COVID onset. Lots of fun.

D451070E-1ED9-47C2-A0BC-6B145A02206A.jpeg

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I have a few as well, collected over the years. Last time I ran them was for the front line workers salute every evening during the height of COVID onset. Lots of fun.

View attachment 13369
Do you run yours individually or set up to run together? My understanding is limited but I believe they sound better in a group? I remember chatting in another thread about them awhile ago

francist

Super User
The only ones I sound together are ones on a manifold made for that. So my K-12 (bottom left in my photo) is sounded as two horns together because they’re on the manifold made for that combination, others are singles so I keep them that way even though the individual horns themselves are the same if that makes any sense?

Takes twice the air to run two at a time though, so it can get eaten up fast. I think a lot of people like the sound of a twin or combination horn better than a single as they can have a little more depth or complexity to the note. Kind of like listening to one tuba vs a group, there’d be more depth to the overall sound. I’m not an expert on them though, some of the real railfan guys have made a life’s work out of studying what gets that best sound.

From here yours looks like a die cast K-1? Should sound pretty clean :)

Everett

Super User
My boss at work has a Peterbilt highway tractor with two train horns mounted under the cab and an air valve by the driver's seat. It came that way when he bought the truck and let's just say that we don't let that thing blast in the shop!

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
I found a 1/2"ball valve a simple static way to control pitch and Db- it had no issues @ 150 psi full flow ....I did tho

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I found a 1/2"ball valve a simple static way to control pitch and Db- it had no issues @ 150 psi full flow ....I did tho
I need to actually find where the tiny Roadrunner horn is on this truck and figure out how it works. There’s a 1/4” airline running from the pull cord down the A column, I’m guessing that’s a signal airline running to an air valve. On my other truck there was a 1/2” airline running to the air horns, but I didn’t install those that’s how she came

@Brent H gave me a piece of stainless that used to be a shelf, I’m thinking that might get cut to make a mounting bracket