• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tools you waited too long to acquire

ColinB

My little 5x6 horizontal/vertical bandsaw gets used a lot. Recently I was making some lathe dolly wheels and the only suitable stock I had was a 15x2" disk of steel (I've had it for about 10 years, from a salvaged glass beveller.) It lead me to make a much larger (plywood) table for the bandsaw, which attaches easily and hangs on the wall when I don't need it.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Lights on the band saw. This is just an above the sink type of thing from IKEA. I stuck it to the saw with velcro strips.
I love that.
Have you got an IKEA part number for it? I was just there on Thursday, likely be in the neighbourhood again next week.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
My little 5x6 horizontal/vertical bandsaw gets used a lot. Recently I was making some lathe dolly wheels and the only suitable stock I had was a 15x2" disk of steel (I've had it for about 10 years, from a salvaged glass beveller.) It lead me to make a much larger (plywood) table for the bandsaw, which attaches easily and hangs on the wall when I don't need it.
Pictures of that table?

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Revisiting my machining days in the 1980s . . .
I have to admit the best purchase for me was my KING Mill.
It has allowed me to revisit experiences from my youth and test the boundaries of the tooling that I have had collecting dust for years.

Thanks Guys, for all your advice along the way !!

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpeg
    IMG_0176.jpeg
    610.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0094.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg
    556.5 KB · Views: 7

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I just glued the dividers in place — much better!

yeah, but after all the bloody set screws are mixed up the horse is long gone. I tried gluing a crappy tire one once with cyanoacrylate, didn't work .... i know it depends on the type of plastic, what worked for you with those cheapo ones?

Last edited:

kstrauss

yeah, but after all the bloody set screws are mixed up the horse is already gone. I tried gluing a crappy tire one once with cyanoacrylate, didn't work .... i know it depends on the type of plastic, what worked for you with those cheapo ones?
My local Dollarama has medium sized boxes with fixed dividers that work well for my collection of small (m2/m2.5/m3) screws. Check in the area for beading and other craft items.

For slightly larger items like miniature bearings, GT2 pulleys and such I bought three dozen tackle boxes with fixed dividers from BassPro (I don't see them on their website now). The man behind me at the cashier commented that I must be a super fisherman to have that number of lures!

To store these boxes stacked on one shelf, I cut pieces of Masonite (tempered hardboard) the size of a shelf and put a piece between each level of boxes. It is easy to slide out a box since boxes on each side of the one being removed support the divider sheets.

Alawishes

yeah, but after all the bloody set screws are mixed up the horse is long gone. I tried gluing a crappy tire one once with cyanoacrylate, didn't work .... i know it depends on the type of plastic, what worked for you with those cheapo ones?
I tried the Stanley "super glue" in very small tubes (several in a clear plastic pill bottle type container) that I got at Home Hardware. I like the tiny tubes, as usually once the tube is open it tends to go downhill quite quickly. Where the outside of the plastic container had big cracks it didn't work the best but it kept the dividers in place quite well.