• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tools you waited too long to acquire

ChazzC

I think for hobby needs, that they are not needed.

The ones you got on eBay don't look like wear blocks to me.

But again, I don't think we hobbiests use them enough to worry about wear. Others may disagree.
They’re not wear blocks, but I basically have five pairs of sacrificial blocks. Also, per Starrett, Webber croblox are made from Rc 71-73 Chromium Carbide and outlast normal steel and Ceramic blocks. I’m pretty sure they will outlast me, and given that I got these NOS blocks for about 3-1/2% of list I’m happy with them.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I think for hobby needs, that they are not needed.

The ones you got on eBay don't look like wear blocks to me.

But again, I don't think we hobbiests use them enough to worry about wear. Others may disagree.
If I ever get that anal on boring out something to tap a bushing into, just take me somewhere it won't make a mess and shoot me.

ChazzC

If I ever get that anal on boring out something to tap a bushing into, just take me somewhere it won't make a mess and shoot me.
Even I'm not that anal, and don't plan on ever needing to get that close when boring. And while I'm not worried about wear on even my cheap gage blocks, I don't want them to get scratched, so using my "wear blocks/plates" makes sense in certain applications – I should have had them when I used a gage block stack to align the Z-Axis Scale with the ways on my Mini-Lathe (see full article in HSM Jan/Feb 2024):

Z-Axis Gage Block Stack.jpeg
Not good practice to have gage blocks rubbing against cast iron (even if it is machined).

Ironman

Ultra Member
I don't know if this qualifies as a tool, But I regret not buying this Mini-excavator 20 years ago. It is so useful. I have moved and planted trees with it, dug water lines, loaded scrap metal, loaded firewood, unloaded 45 gallon drums of waste oil and yesterday picked up and arranged for photos, all my farm implements that are getting sold with my little tractor.
I built a thumb for it and that made it even more useful.

Attachments

• P1030475.JPG
    P1030475.JPG
    735.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04049.JPG
    DSC04049.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 8

ChazzC

I don't know if this qualifies as a tool, But I regret not buying this Mini-excavator 20 years ago. It is so useful. I have moved and planted trees with it, dug water lines, loaded scrap metal, loaded firewood, unloaded 45 gallon drums of waste oil and yesterday picked up and arranged for photos, all my farm implements that are getting sold with my little tractor.
I built a thumb for it and that made it even more useful.
that’s not a tool, THIS IS A TOOL!

JustaDB

Ultra Member
I've heard of people who use their big toe instead......

View attachment 47450
This happened in a small town in rural Alberta many long years ago. The local GP called up another doctor in Lethbridge, described the injury to him & they decided that it was too risky to attempt sewing it back on.

Years later I met a guy in university whose father was a surgeon. Got invited over to his folk's place for supper (did I ever tell you how much I hate mutton/lamb & mint jelly?) & ended up discussing my missing thumb tip. He took a look at it (the saw blade cut it off at an angle from the tip of the thumb to the base of the finger nail) and said that he would have attempted to re-attach it.

No point in crying about spilled milk.

As far as using my big toe, yeah, not so much.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I find a plasma is the greatest tool I have, as it makes me look like I know what I'm doing. I can sit at the computer, listen to River City Blues band and draw and piddle around so it all fits together. And then cut it all out and, be damned, it still fits together. I can squeeze parts out of all the scrap bits I could not bear to throw out and if the edge is missing a bit in one spot , just fill the spot with weld. Note the plate under the soapstone. And then no cleanup grinding...bonus

Attachments

• DSC05741.JPG
    DSC05741.JPG
    392.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC05740.JPG
    DSC05740.JPG
    387 KB · Views: 13

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Maybe 10 years ago I purchased an oscillating tool that I used infrequently. Well, in the last couple of weeks I’ve probably put at least 10 hours of use on it.

I sure wish I’d purchased a carbide blade before, getting one of those last weekend transformed how well it can plunge cut. This is the set I purchased from one of the big box stores:
https://federatedtool.com/diablo-do...TYCzu1mTnv3TDuStA-WfuLwo4TDhAiQhoC7JYQAvD_BwE

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Maybe 10 years ago I purchased an oscillating tool that I used infrequently. Well, in the last couple of weeks I’ve probably put at least 10 hours of use on it.

I sure wish I’d purchased a carbide blade before, getting one of those last weekend transformed how well it can plunge cut. This is the set I purchased from one of the big box stores:
https://federatedtool.com/diablo-do...TYCzu1mTnv3TDuStA-WfuLwo4TDhAiQhoC7JYQAvD_BwE
I bought one recently and I sure wish I'd bought one 10+ years ago to help me on all my renos. Total game changer when working on old houses.