Tools you waited too long to acquire

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Customs- yea, i also have many customers stories.
I have a good customs story… When I was emigrating to Canada I declared my wife’s engagement ring. The customs officer said “you don’t want to put that value on it, let’s put this value on it to save some of the taxes”…

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
UPS charged me an additional $46.50… ($7.80 GST, $34.25 Brokerage, $4.45 tax on brokerage).
$34.35…, thats an annoying hidden fee. After Ticketmaster, the govt should tackle the hidden fees of shipping companies.

Every time I’ve ordered something from Asia, DHL has added their brokerage and handling fee. If I can I’ll use Canada Post, since their fees are more reasonable.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
IMG_1628.jpeg
More broken john deere parts :(

I was in a hurry but I'm curious how they made that, that's a lot to program in for a waterjet file, but I don't know else you would do it, unless there's already a file made up for the part?

Ironman

Ultra Member
Curious! I ordered the laser from Amazon and paid a total of $68.66. I have attached a copy of the invoice.
I went to Amazon to buy a Wixey, and they refused to ship it to Canadu because of restrictions on technology etc. and wanted 116.86.
So I went to ebay, my default less rip-off place, and the Wixey was 53.67 and with shipping from England!! was 18 bucks for a total cost of $72.48. I'll see it on Aug 24.
And not a wimper about technology restriction and that restriction blather.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
View attachment 37329
More broken john deere parts :(

I was in a hurry but I'm curious how they made that, that's a lot to program in for a waterjet file, but I don't know else you would do it, unless there's already a file made up for the part?

If I was going to program that part - I would scan it or take a picture of the gasket then import to Fusion. Scale the image to real size - then just lay out the outline and shapes. Then do the manufacture cycle to generate the gcode for the cutter. Not that bad really. There are CNC cutters which use a drag knife - for use in hobbies and stuff. I think it would be a good way to make gaskets. Anybody have one of those?

Last edited:

hhshermit

My vote for a tool I waited too long to get is a set of Fein core drills. Wonderful accurate cuts, some material saving and versatile - hand drill, lathe, mill etc. I got a set on sale to start and buy another every couple of months to build up my size range - especially if they are on sale.

2. High / low wood stool (a lot handier than my stool sample).
3. 12x6” sheet of 16gauge and a magnet. Good on the mill but a must have for deflecting sparks/chips while grinding.
4. 30 mil magnetic sheet to cover/protect the mill bed and slots. Normally used for magnetic advertising signs. Tried the 10 mil which didn’t work at all. You know- bigger is better.
I like the high/low stool. I’ve never seen one like that. Thinking I might have to make one, and maybe adapt it as a 3 step ladder/stool.

Points 3 & 4 are great too - definitely worth copying!

Where do you get the magnetic sheets?

Upnorth

I like the high/low stool. I’ve never seen one like that. Thinking I might have to make one, and maybe adapt it as a 3 step ladder/stool.

Points 3 & 4 are great too - definitely worth copying!

Where do you get the magnetic sheets?
Magnetic sheets are available from any place that makes magnetic signs. It's the stuff that they make those removeable signs you see on vehicle sides.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I got them from Amazon. Only get the heavier 30mil sheets. The printable sheets (for inkjet) are only 10mil and useless for protection purposes.

$36 for 4 sheets of 12x18, 30mil

I use the 16 gauge & magnet chip deflector all the time. One lives by the large bench vise and one on the mill.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Y
Basin wrench - why didn’t I buy one of these 30 years ago? When you need one nothing else will do.
Yup I thought the same thing when I bought one the first time 10 years or so ago. I didn't even know what they were until then.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
And if you’re lucky, you’ll find one of this version, discontinued decades ago.

3/8” drive, combine with a universal joint and a few extensions and you can undo impossible fittings.

Attachments

• IMG_6644.jpeg
    IMG_6644.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 0