Tools you waited too long to acquire

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
What sort/model of industrial Ford were you looking for? I have an old 4500 that had an extremely abused and hard life and I resurrected, I sure wish I could have owned that tractor brand new as they were built amazingly well and simple. The newer versions (I believe 540's) look even better/nicer yet.
It was a 1968 3500 in pretty good shape asking $6500 for it. While I would have liked something at least a decade newer (mid to late 70's) This one was close (could have drove it home), well kept, great tires, and the price was decent enough that I would have grabbed it. I've convinced myself that there must have been some major engine work needed, and I dodged a bullet by not buying it :D.

I'll find one. I'm still not "actively" looking, but will jump for the right deal if I find one. I just have to jump sooner next time. I'm hoping to get something like a ford 3000/Massey 135 from the mid-late 70's. My current 1963 Massey 35 is a great tractor, and all I really need/want, but I want something newer with better hydraulics, bigger loader, and a diesel. I don't really NEED an industrial, but I wouldn't turn one down. The problem is, they're usually worked pretty hard, and in rough shape compared to a std farm tractor of the same vintage.

Bandit

Super User
In some ways I hate the old gas pot tractors, 35 masseys and fordsons, the carbs worn out, governors worn too. " Can you get it to run better? I don't want to put any money into it." "I need to get the hay raked/baled, going to rain tomorrow." So, how long has it been like this? " Oh, since I bought it 5? Years ago". "Oh, could you look at the 3 point too? It won' t lift anything." What oil you been using? "The hydraulic oil you guys sell." Hmm, the early ones used gear oil, has the pump been rebuilt? "No, but that should be easy."
I think I will stop now!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
In some ways I hate the old gas pot tractors, 35 masseys and fordsons, the carbs worn out, governors worn too. " Can you get it to run better? I don't want to put any money into it." "I need to get the hay raked/baled, going to rain tomorrow." So, how long has it been like this? " Oh, since I bought it 5? Years ago". "Oh, could you look at the 3 point too? It won' t lift anything." What oil you been using? "The hydraulic oil you guys sell." Hmm, the early ones used gear oil, has the pump been rebuilt? "No, but that should be easy."
I think I will stop now!
You just described my current Massey 35 lol. When I add up all the things i need to fix on it (rear tires, governor, carb, generator convert to alternator, loader), and the time and money needed to do so I end up right back where I started, (and why it sits). It's led a good life, but it's working days are done. I'd like to keep it and would like to someday restore it to "fall fair tractor" status, so I can drive it in the parade, but that project will have to wait for a while......

Last edited:

kstrauss

Just received my Wixey drill press laser (an hour ago). Looks good - I’ll install it later today. Thanks @Degen for letting us know about this product.

CAUTION!!!
UPS charged me an additional $46.50. It came from SRA Soldering Products in Massachusetts ($7.80 GST, $34.25 Brokerage, $4.45 tax on brokerage).
I’m a Amazon Prime member and often order from Amazon.ca and at checkout if it indicates additional taxes or charges may apply, then i stop and don’t complete the order. No such warning this time! I’ll be letting Amazon know about my displeasure.
I’m not blaming you @kstrauss because i would have looked on Amazon with or without your suggestion. With the usual Busy B delivery charge, Amazon should have been a better deal. But not with this surprise brokerage charge.
(Be careful @Susquatch and @YotaBota if you decide to order one)

Also -FYI: i just noticed (on Amazon.ca) a drill press laser by Centurion at $39.99 + $19.99 delivery. It appears to be all plastic whereas the Wixey is aluminum and plastic.
Curious! I ordered the laser from Amazon and paid a total of $68.66. I have attached a copy of the invoice.

Attachments

• invoice.pdf
    5.8 KB · Views: 11

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I'm sure we have all experienced this to some extent, you get a new tool and then use it way more than you anticipated, to the point you wonder how you did without it. So what tools do you own now that you wish you had acquired sooner than you did.

For me this applies to most of my tools for example mill, lathe and welder. However the top three that I waited too long for are:
1) horizontal band saw
2) regular bandsaw
3) bench mounted belt sander.
For most people, the tools are never enough, but the key is to suit yourself is right!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
kstrauss- I have had surprises before with Amazon, but mostly with reduced delivery charges, or no HST, or an unexpected discount coupon. A couple of times I’ve had unexpected customs charges like with the DP laser. I think its a random package check by customs.
I think it’s like when at a US border crossing - sometimes they search your car or just wave you through. True story: My friend and i were going with our dirt bikes to ride the WV mountain trails. Bikes in an enclosed trailer. The Customs officer asked for the plate numbers on the bikes (green plates). Then he laughed out loud. He told us that a bike plate number triggered a random search. They looked into ever corner, bag, tool box, etc. Even a pair of drug sniffing dogs had a go at it. 45 minutes later we were on our way.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
kstrauss- I have had surprises before with Amazon, but mostly with reduced delivery charges, or no HST, or an unexpected discount coupon. A couple of times I’ve had unexpected customs charges like with the DP laser. I think its a random package check by customs.
I think it’s like when at a US border crossing - sometimes they search your car or just wave you through. True story: My friend and i were going with our dirt bikes to ride the WV mountain trails. Bikes in an enclosed trailer. The Customs officer asked for the plate numbers on the bikes (green plates). Then he laughed out loud. He told us that a bike plate number triggered a random search. They looked into ever corner, bag, tool box, etc. Even a pair of drug sniffing dogs had a go at it. 45 minutes later we were on our way.

Two short customs stories: (I have lots more customs stories but 2 are relevant)

My wife and I went to Detroit shopping in our 70 Mustang Mach 1. On our return our number got pulled. They literally ripped our car apart even removing the interior trim panels to look inside the body cavities. But much worse, they refused to put it back together when they were done. My wife was so hot, an innocent bunny rabbit would have had its fur burned off naked just being within 20 ft of her.

Another time, I went to the US to buy a 14ft aluminium fishing boat. When I got back to Canada, the guy just waved us on. This was back before free trade and the duty bill was huge! I said I'd love to just go, but I needed to clear it in order to license it. They gave me such a hard time over that it was ridiculous. Even tried claiming my receipt was a phoney. All cuz I INSISTED on paying the duty.

Lots more stories but that's enough for now. I hate customs.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Customs- yea, i also have many customers stories. In 1975 we moved from Calgary to live in North Dakota for 3 years. My parents had given me a (3 year old) 1971 Olds Cutlass as a graduation gift. Loved that car.
Upon returning to Ontario - the customs officer sent us inside because he refused to believe that we didn’t buy the car in the States (at that time US built cars were a lot cheaper in the States). It took us 20 minutes at the customs counter to convince 2 agents our paperwork was legitimate. The funny part (not really funny) was that the 2 agents were obviously new Canadians with such strong accents we could hardly understand them.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here’s a few shop accessories (not tools but i think they fit this discussion)
1. shop light over my miter saw. The ceiling bracket keeps it from conflicting with the garage door.
2. High / low wood stool (a lot handier than my stool sample).
3. 12x6” sheet of 16gauge and a magnet. Good on the mill but a must have for deflecting sparks/chips while grinding.
4. 30 mil magnetic sheet to cover/protect the mill bed and slots. Normally used for magnetic advertising signs. Tried the 10 mil which didn’t work at all. You know- bigger is better.

Attachments

• D64DB304-DDE2-424D-BF03-2C2CDE029CE3.jpeg
    D64DB304-DDE2-424D-BF03-2C2CDE029CE3.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 852E41F2-D048-402A-B864-3C13E50689B4.jpeg
    852E41F2-D048-402A-B864-3C13E50689B4.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 48E4CD0B-53E7-4425-99EE-CE770BA5A4FD.jpeg
    48E4CD0B-53E7-4425-99EE-CE770BA5A4FD.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 5587992A-2F4B-4EFA-921E-7E5B9CC9ADF8.jpeg
    5587992A-2F4B-4EFA-921E-7E5B9CC9ADF8.jpeg
    518.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 7E9E5454-FE54-406E-89B3-E1B268026831.jpeg
    7E9E5454-FE54-406E-89B3-E1B268026831.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 195FA7E9-64A8-44A5-A430-99DB7467F0AC.jpeg
    195FA7E9-64A8-44A5-A430-99DB7467F0AC.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 32
  • F0AA1808-D963-4B39-8CAF-A55DE379B841.jpeg
    F0AA1808-D963-4B39-8CAF-A55DE379B841.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 33
  • A2AFF0E3-48D6-483E-B5E7-90B08044A981.jpeg
    A2AFF0E3-48D6-483E-B5E7-90B08044A981.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 37

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Here’s a few shop accessories (not tools but i think they fit this discussion)
1. shop light over my miter saw. The ceiling bracket keeps it from conflicting with the garage door.
2. High / low wood stool (a lot handier than my stool sample).
3. 12x6” sheet of 16gauge and a magnet. Good on the mill but a must have for deflecting sparks/chips while grinding.
4. 30 mil magnetic sheet to cover/protect the mill bed and slots. Normally used for magnetic advertising signs. Tried the 10 mil which didn’t work at all. You know- bigger is better.
The magnetic sheet is brilliant! You win the Internet today

kstrauss

After a month I got around to installing my new Wixey drill press laser centre finder. Sadly it doesn't work! The problem is that on my General 340 drill press the table centre is too far from the column! Even with the extension ("for large drill presses") the laser beams fall short of the centre. It should be easy to make an extension to solve the problem but I had to whine to someone...

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well - IMO the DP laser works great & is well worth the coin (even with my extra customs PIA). It’s well worth the effort to make the bracket. Do it!!

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
After a month I got around to installing my new Wixey drill press laser centre finder. Sadly it doesn't work! The problem is that on my General 340 drill press the table centre is too far from the column! Even with the extension ("for large drill presses") the laser beams fall short of the centre. It should be easy to make an extension to solve the problem but I had to whine to someone...
Nice drill press! And made in Canada too!

kstrauss

Nice drill press! And made in Canada too!
Yes, I bought the drill press new from Aikenhead Hardware on Temperance Street in Toronto around 1972 (shortly after they were sold to Molsons). I scored an almost new General 590 bandsaw with the two speed gearbox some years later. Both have served me well over the years! It is a shame that General no longer makes anything in Canada.