• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tools you waited too long to acquire

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have been thinking about this for a while. The original post was "So what tools do you own now that you wish you had acquired sooner than you did".....

To give an honest answer, I actually found it a tough question. The new welder is nice, fancy, and way more so than I deserve, given my abilities, but the old buzzbox was satisfying in that I got the jobs done. Moving from a little Atlas drill press to a larger one was great. But I almost always had a drill press. The upgrade, maybe 15 years ago, was great. Occasionally I wish I had a floor model, but not enough to warrant it. Maybe if I got one, that would rank in the top 3.....:rolleyes:

Although, like everyone here, I like being able to use something in my shop to do "something", especially something that the average (certainly not this crowd of average) person would have a hard time doing. That comes back to making stuff first, then second, doing a good repair on something.

So, after too much consideration, here is my list I would like to submit for critique.. .;) :D

1 Although I have had a metal lathe for years, the new PM1236 gives me much satisfaction and I wish I had traded in the old small one years ago.

2 The DRO on the milling machine is something that, although I do not use it often, wow, is it ever nice to use, so that would be one. After first installing and just trying it out, I instantly wish I had committed funds to it earlier!

3 The last of the 3, that is a recent acquisition, would be a rolling tool chest . I made a "cabinet making rolling bench" 20ish years ago to gear up to make cabinets for a kitchen reno at the time. It doubled as an outfeed table for the tablesaw, and, although it was ugly, it was functional. It became my main workspace in the shop ever since. When I started on the recent airplane rebuild, I decided I needed to consolidate my tools better, and make a space to store the new category of tools that I was getting into. The drawers on the new one allowed that. I put a larger top on it, mounted a small vise at one end (second shop vise, which in itself is nice). The extra storage is an awesome upgrade over the old one. It has a slightly longer surface, albeit not as deep, rolls better, etc. So, currently, everyday, I wish I would have upgraded that old bench sooner.

By far, and for honorable mentions, the most satisfaction comes from tools that I have made, that I use. It ranges from a little machinist hammer (project from blondiehacks and gets used daily) to the 2x72 sander (getting lots of use lately), milling machine power feed (Arduino driven stepper motor), and simple lathe accessory tools like tailstock die holder and tap tool. Maybe cause I made them, or maybe that I made something I needed/wanted, and so having it makes the jobs easier..... but there is something about making stuff that is rewarding ..... usually, (but my wife may not agree.....o_O )

Upnorth

When I get another bigger lathe the first accessory I buy for it will be a DRO. I put one on my current lathe and the magnetic back dial indicators have not been out of the box since.

I'm going to add a second tool (or add on), laser crosshairs on a drill press.

While most of use that drill a fair bit develop a sense of where to place to spot to be drilled and can do so fairly consistantly. But adding target crosshairs referenced from the drill itself helps you locate and drill faster.

I bought mine from BB for about $50.00, worth the money spent.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I don't know if I'm old enough to have waited too long LOL, but my garage natural gas heater is hands down my favourite 'tool', and I'm sure my Dad would answer that he waited to long to get the heater.
Heat and insulation definitely makes things workable year round, and so is the winner.

Please tell us more. Model #, link, photos, how it maintains target with table movement, etc.

Do a good initial set up and its done, as its attached to the column just below the head the lasers lines cross in axis with the spindle travel. Table movement has no effect as the head is fixed to the column and the lasers are fixed to the column. AA powers it and as long as you turn them off they last.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Do a good initial set up and its done, as its attached to the column just below the head the lasers lines cross in axis with the spindle travel. Table movement has no effect as the head is fixed to the column and the lasers are fixed to the column. AA powers it and as long as you turn them off they last.

Thanks Degen. I could see getting value out of that if it works well. I think I'll order one and report back. If it works, maybe I'll get two more for the mill and drill/mill. Most things I do are just hand aimed. With the loss of my left eye, I am having trouble lining things up easily.

Thanks Degen. I could see getting value out of that if it works well. I think I'll order one and report back. If it works, maybe I'll get two more for the mill and drill/mill. Most things I do are just hand aimed. With the loss of my left eye, I am having trouble lining things up easily.
Better than the Air Hammer :cool:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Does it actually stay on center when you move the table up/down or even when using different thickness' of material?

With the lasers fixed to the column I'm trying to figure how it tracks center. I would expect that as the table goes down the center point would move out toward the operator and the opposite when the table is raised.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Does it actually stay on center when you move the table up/down or even when using different thickness' of material?

With the lasers fixed to the column I'm trying to figure how it tracks center. I would expect that as the table goes down the center point would move out toward the operator and the opposite when the table is raised.
When I bought my drill press it had a single simple laser pointer mounted on where the light bulb usually is. I thought it looked like a good idea at the time but it turned out pretty much worthless in my opinion. I suppose if you were doing many repeated holes in the same material and table height it could be helpful. The laser spot was hard to see and the indicated spot changed with table/material height.
I've always wanted a laser pointer like the one Dan Gelbart made for his milling machine. It is easily movable from machine to machine and can quickly be adjusted/calibrated for different table/material heights. Maybe I will get around to making one someday, someday.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

This is exactly my problem. There must be a trick to it!

Ian Moss

When I bought my drill press it had a single simple laser pointer mounted on where the light bulb usually is. I thought it looked like a good idea at the time but it turned out pretty much worthless in my opinion. I suppose if you were doing many repeated holes in the same material and table height it could be helpful. The laser spot was hard to see and the indicated spot changed with table/material height.
I've always wanted a laser pointer like the one Dan Gelbart made for his milling machine. It is easily movable from machine to machine and can quickly be adjusted/calibrated for different table/material heights. Maybe I will get around to making one someday, someday.
I made one of these and it is very useful. Just used a cheap bore sighting laser. The thing I like is that I can center on a vertical cylinder or hole very accurately.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think, that if you picture each laser as projecting a flat plane of light that is vertical, the line where the two planes cross will be vertical and "infinitely" long.

Perfect explanation! The part I was missing is the plane of light instead of a line!

My compliments on a very simple very clear answer.

No it tracks because it uses 2 lasers that cross, think two sheets of paper crossing vertically as long as the are plumb and aligned, no variation.

Remember this is not a precision device just a tool to make the initial start significantly easier.

Look at the photos I posted earlier, unfortunately to keep the size small, detail is lost but if you carefully you can see the shadow of the bit as it come close to the surface.