• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tools you waited too long to acquire

I have a corded Dewalt that I am very happy with. Has been indispensable for me on some of my home reno projects but isn't used all the time.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought an oscillating cutter to use on the bale shredder to cut the accumulated twine on the flail drum. Didn't work at all, haven't used it for anything else yet.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought an oscillating cutter to use on the bale shredder to cut the accumulated twine on the flail drum. Didn't work at all, haven't used it for anything else yet.

Not sure if there is a blade that would work on that. Guessing the twine just rolls with the blade and nothing happens.

If it's the plastic twine, you could try a hot iron to melt through it.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I don't use it for that either.

Perhaps listing some uses would help:

1. I used it to cut through existing plumbing ABS drain pipes that were behind furnace ducts. (very poor access)

2. I installed thicker counter tops and had to open up the moulding recesses. A flat hand saw worked too but took forever and wouldn't work in corners.

3. Cutting through nails between boards. The thin metal cutting blade doesn't ruin the fit. Just do plunge cuts where the nails are.

4. Removing grout lines. I even removed a few brick mortar lines once. Yes, a rotary tool works too, but makes way more mess.

5. Sanding between boards before adding glue.

6. Cutting off the bottom of rotten door and window jambs.

7. Scraping and separating layered adhesives along edges and indents.

If you think about using it like a saw, you will wonder why you need it. But if you think about using it like a side grinder with zero clearance that doesn't rotate but still plunges, it becomes WAAAY more useful.

It isn't a tool I use as often as a jig saw or circular saw or sander. But it is a tool you will wonder how you lived without.

I mostly have just used it for flush cutting doing trim work, that's about it...but it's barely faster than a good hand saw at it.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Multiple 4-1/2” angle grinders, so now I don’t have to change wheels to go from grinding disk, to wire brush to flapper disk.

I think I’ll keep the old Mastercraft one for cutting concrete…

I have an older 5" mastercraft grinder that I really like for cut off wheels. It has a hole for the handle on the back which helps me cut a little bit straighter than without. (notice that I never said I could cut straight, just a little bit less crooked)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
View attachment 35295
I have enough grinders now so I leave this one setup for cutting only...

Oh I used to have one of those grinders, it was actually a pretty good unit...lasted way longer than it should have

Cutting that guard down to something more reasonable would probably help you see for those straighter cuts, all of mayne are cut down so they are just wide enough to cover the the disc and cover about 30-40% of the circumference

Oh I used to have one of those grinders, it was actually a pretty good unit...lasted way longer than it should have

Cutting that guard down to something more reasonable would probably help you see for those straighter cuts, all of mayne are cut down so they are just wide enough to cover the the disc and cover about 30-40% of the circumference
I dunno, there's no guard on the end of my crayons and I can't keep them inside the lines either......:oops::rolleyes:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Certainly have enjoyed this thread. Especially the Chick/Susq - Kubota/JD debate. I got my first real tractor- a Kubota, of course, 40+ years ago. On my third one now and couldn’t be happier with it.
Standing proud. No couch needed!

Today has been a bit costly- smoked the VISA ordering tools i didn’t know i needed.
Sort-of thanks guys.
Following goodies are on their way:
- Drill press laser cross hairs. Model WL133 thanks Degen and kstrauss - yea, ordered from Amazon.
- 10 piece set of tap sockets from Winmax tools (Amazon). Didn’t know these existed - thanks Susquatch.
- Noga double sided deburr, a good tip, thanks Janger
- Noga N Teleset deburr on sale from KBC - lots of deburr comments, so thanks all

(KBC sent me a customer appreciation email with a $25 coupon for orders over $75. So added to the deburr is a set of 3/16” and 1/2” parallels (also on sale). They’ll go nicely with the 1/8” set i already have.)

kstrauss

Certainly have enjoyed this thread. Especially the Chick/Susq - Kubota/JD debate. I got my first real tractor- a Kubota, of course, 40+ years ago. On my third one now and couldn’t be happier with it.

Today has been a bit costly- smoked the VISA ordering tools i didn’t know i needed.
Sort-of thanks guys.
Following goodies are on their way:
- Drill press laser cross hairs. Model WL133 thanks Degen and kstrauss - yea, ordered from Amazon.
- 10 piece set of tap sockets from Winmax tools (Amazon). Didn’t know these existed - thanks Susquatch.
- Noga double sided deburr, a good tip, thanks Janger
- Noga N Teleset deburr on sale from KBC - lots of deburr comments, so thanks all

(KBC sent me a customer appreciation email with a $25 coupon for orders over $75. So added to the deburr is a set of 3/16” and 1/2” parallels (also on sale). They’ll go nicely with the 1/8” set i already have.)
Since you mentioned Noga, perhaps I can help you to spend more. I love my Nova countersink for quickly deburring drilled holes: https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/1-457-535 or to spend a little less consider https://www.amazon.ca/NG1200-Noga-Ng1200-Rotodrive-Countersink/dp/B002K075GU/ or you can pay $15 more from KBC: https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/1-457-537

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I think I’ll send @Susquatch a bright orange Kubota sweatshirt for Christmas :D

Or maybe in Oliver green, you know back when green tractors were quality.....

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Not a "shop" tool, but I just bought a 18v makita string trimmer/blower combo kit, and I wish I would have bought one years ago. I've used it a few times now, and much prefer it over my stihl fs110. The stihl still has it's place, especially when I use the pole saw head, or hedge trimmer head, but I'll be machining an adapter to use those stihl heads on the makita here shortly, and doubt I'll ever touch the stihl much more again. It's a bit lighter, and IMO just as powerful cutting through the thick stuff as my stihl. I don't think it'll replace it for the really heavy stuff with the brush blade, but I only do that once a year anyway, so it's not a big deal. For weekly trimming around the house, the battery version is much more enjoyable.

https://www.atlas-machinery.com/makita/mak-dub184rt-dux18zx2/

The blower is awesome and really powerfull too. Opened up the doors and blew the shop out today. Way better than sweeping :D

Last edited:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Agreed @Dan Dubeau - some battery powered tools rule! - Stihl has arguably the best gas trimmers and blowers + their chainsaws are imo the best!
Last year i sold both my Stihl trimmer and blower (both were working well at the time) and got EGO’s top of their line (carbon fibre shaft) string trimmer and a 650cfm leaf blower. Both 56 volt. They are awesome. Strongly recommend.
Still have a Stihl chain saw and love it. My Stihl hedge trimmer is hard to start and on it’s way out. When it dies - I’ll be getting another EGO product.
(Used both the blower and trimmer today (Sunday) - they are soooo quiet.)

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I think I’ll send @Susquatch a bright orange Kubota sweatshirt for Christmas :D

Or maybe in Oliver green, you know back when green tractors were quality.....
Ohh Man you may have started the war now...Ive seen more than one fist fight started over some brand debate in rural Ab...usually in a bar about midnight but even at auctions in broad daylight.