• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Post Grinder

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Did you used the measure between pins technique to bracket the dovetail width?

Somehow or another I missed this question Craig. My apologies.

Yes, but I didn't go crazy. I used two pieces of stainless dowel that are about 0.2" in diameter. Nowhere near precision rod, but I reasoned that precision was not as important as consistency. I also only used a caliper to measure the gap. But again, I figured a caliper was more than enough for this job.

Last but not least, I used my DRO to make sure I was taking off roughly the same amount on both sides. For some reason that I never took the time to figure out, I reasoned that equal amounts on both sides was important. I still don't know if that is true but my gut tells me that it is. Stupid Gut..... LOL!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I believe I ordered some 1/4" shaft mounted stones from kbc that were acceptable. The typical die grinder stones in Princess Auto are pure garbage and I've had some that were called 1/4" shaft but in fact were 6mm (not useable in a 1/4" collet)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I believe I ordered some 1/4" shaft mounted stones from kbc that were acceptable. The typical die grinder stones in Princess Auto are pure garbage and I've had some that were called 1/4" shaft but in fact were 6mm (not useable in a 1/4" collet)

Thank you. I thought I looked there but lemme look again to see what I can find there.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I got some nice mounted stones from a supplier in Cambridge a few years ago. Can’t remember which one though, maybe Abrasive Supply & Service? I just walked in one afternoon, looked through their catalogue of shapes and left with a 20 or so and a wheel dressing stone for my bench grinder.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I got some nice mounted stones from a supplier in Cambridge a few years ago. Can’t remember which one though, maybe Abrasive Supply & Service? I just walked in one afternoon, looked through their catalogue of shapes and left with a 20 or so and a wheel dressing stone for my bench grinder.

If you can remember, it would be appreciated. I get there every so often and that would be nice fruitful adventure!

Rauce

Ultra Member
If you can remember, it would be appreciated. I get there every so often and that would be nice fruitful adventure!
Since I walked in I don’t have any emails to reference but I’m pretty sure it was Abrasive Supply and Service.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Since I walked in I don’t have any emails to reference but I’m pretty sure it was Abrasive Supply and Service.

OK, I'll look them up. I will need a small supply of quality stones. If not for this tool, then for my air die grinder or my Dewalt 20V Rechargeable Die Grinder (which is an awesome piece of equipment).

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Grinding stones another option.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Mac tools stopped by and had some small grinding stones on sale so I bought some.

Still looking for 3 to 4 inch wheels for outside grinding. I can make my own arbour for them.

Spin up the motor for the first time yesterday. Smooth as silk and "feels like" it will do the job!

Need to finish the motor holder and also make a chuck jaw expander so I can use the grinder to true up my 3jaw chuck. I'll be doing before and after comparisons when I do.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Mac tools stopped by and had some small grinding stones on sale so I bought some.

Still looking for 3 to 4 inch wheels for outside grinding. I can make my own arbour for them.

Spin up the motor for the first time yesterday. Smooth as silk and "feels like" it will do the job!

Need to finish the motor holder and also make a chuck jaw expander so I can use the grinder to true up my 3jaw chuck. I'll be doing before and after comparisons when I do.
I've kind of been bumping around looking for what's available in 3 and 4 inch grinding wheels also and haven't found much. Most of the ones I come across are made for either angle grinder or a hand drill.
Have you figured out that your motor will be adequately able to turn a 4" wheel without exceeding the rpm limit of the wheel?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Pretty sure I've seen wheels ~3" range (metric) on Ali or Ebay in various grits & compositions. You'd have to make your own arbor to suite but that's probably preferable.
I ran into this same issue. N-Am wheels are out there but not as prevalent to Canucks, meaning grit/material/thickness. The other thing to start thinking about f you haven already is a reliable/safe/clean way to dress stones in-situ because that has to occur regardless. I know I've posted my setup if you're looking for ideas.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've kind of been bumping around looking for what's available in 3 and 4 inch grinding wheels also and haven't found much. Most of the ones I come across are made for either angle grinder or a hand drill.
Have you figured out that your motor will be adequately able to turn a 4" wheel without exceeding the rpm limit of the wheel?

Not really. But it is variable speed, seems to work quite smoothly, and I can reliably measure the speed.

I'm much more concerned about vibration explosion.

At any rate, I'll pay close attention to what the maker says, I won't be buying junk wheels, and I won't be standing in line with them. As I said elsewhere, I've seen what can happen and I'd prefer to stay on the other side of the planet from that!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Pretty sure I've seen wheels ~3" range (metric) on Ali or Ebay in various grits & compositions. You'd have to make your own arbor to suite but that's probably preferable.
I ran into this same issue. N-Am wheels are out there but not as prevalent to Canucks, meaning grit/material/thickness. The other thing to start thinking about f you haven already is a reliable/safe/clean way to dress stones in-situ because that has to occur regardless. I know I've posted my setup if you're looking for ideas.

The problem with Ali and ebay is quality. I'd prefer to buy a wheel like that from an outfit at risk of being sued. Not that the Ali stuff is really any worse, just I feel safer with something from an outfit with a reputation.

I am quite happy to make my own arbour.

Good point on dressing. Hadn't crossed that bridge just yet. I will try and find your post on that.

I could always make an external dressing rig.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not really. But it is variable speed, seems to work quite smoothly, and I can reliably measure the speed.

I'm much more concerned about vibration explosion.

At any rate, I'll pay close attention to what the maker says, I won't be buying junk wheels, and I won't be standing in line with them. As I said elsewhere, I've seen what can happen and I'd prefer to stay on the other side of the planet from that!
Ya I'm just playing around with numbers dreaming up how I'm going to do my next tool post grinder and sfm, motor torque and safe wheel rpm seem to get all questionable once I get to the "larger" 3-4" wheels. I'm just getting my head around it all now so could be mistaken about everything

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya I'm just playing around with numbers dreaming up how I'm going to do my next tool post grinder and sfm, motor torque and safe wheel rpm seem to get all questionable once I get to the "larger" 3-4" wheels. I'm just getting my head around it all now so could be mistaken about everything

I suppose that's yet another reason to buy from a well known outfit. But in any event, I assume you know that rpm normally goes down as diameter goes up.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I suppose that's yet another reason to buy from a well known outfit. But in any event, I assume you know that rpm normally goes down as diameter goes up.
Yes rpm goes down with an increase in diameter but power requirement goes up. A motor than can spin a little 1" stone at 30000rpm may not be able to turn a 4" wheel at 7500 rpm. (And/or said wheel may not be safe at 7500rpm)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes rpm goes down with an increase in diameter but power requirement goes up. A motor than can spin a little 1" stone at 30000rpm may not be able to turn a 4" wheel at 7500 rpm. (And/or said wheel may not be safe at 7500rpm)

Agreed. I have no idea about the power or speed at power yet.

About all I can say is that it's one hell of a fast response torquie little motor. We shall see.