The “free” First LC-1 1/2 VS Mill

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The touch DRO has been great so far. So much faster to pick up an edge and position the tool than doing it the way I was before without a DRO.

I have absolutely no idea why I didn't get a DRO 10 years ago.

It's an amazing add on to any machine with a moveable table or carriage.

Lots to notice in your photo.

Nice GS vise! Bet you love that!

Did you wire the drum switch to the F/Rev on the VFD?

What is that gizmo on the left side of your mill base?
Ain't it fun "snooping" through other guys shops? There can be some real "ah ha!" moments
I have absolutely no idea why I didn't get a DRO 10 years ago.

It's an amazing add on to any machine with a moveable table or carriage.
I swear that you guys are trying to drag me out of the stone age with all this new fangled gibberish........

jorogi

Mark Pressling on YouTube did a video on quietening the quintessential VFD. It's basically the noise from the computer style fan that runs all the time. He installed a heat sensitive switch that trips on at 140 degrees ( or so). Good video, good creator and good little project. I bought a switch off Amazon for a couple of bucks but still haven't installed it. The really ironic thing is with his new mill he switched to a RPC which is orders of magnitude louder.

John

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's basically the noise from the computer style fan that runs all the time.

I don't even hear that noise in my TECO VFD. Maybe it's there, but I don't hear it.

The whine of the carrier frequency is another kettle of fish!

Ya, installing an RPC after going to all that trouble to quieten a VFD is ironic indeed! Too funny!

Ironman

Ultra Member
That is an insane waste of grease. I would use Lubriplate 105 or NLGI#1 in that box and replace the zirk with a plug. My Lagun recommends the Lubriplate or white lithium grease

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It's basically the noise from the computer style fan that runs all the time.
On my VFD (Hitachi WJ200), there is a setting for the cooling fan. You can have it on constantly, or based on the heat sink temperature, so much quieter. Turns on only if the temp rises.

Check your VFD parameters.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
On my VFD (Hitachi WJ200), there is a setting for the cooling fan. You can have it on constantly, or based on the heat sink temperature, so much quieter. Turns on only if the temp rises.

Check your VFD parameters.

Group 8 Setting #15 on Teco.

Default is 50 degrees C.

Could be why I don't hear my fan! LOL!

Ironman

Ultra Member
I wish I could find a fan setting on my 5hp mill VFD. It's an AC Lenz SM Vector and the fan never quits

Last edited: