Surface Grinder Adapter Balancing Rings

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Couldn’t you drill into the wheel itself to get it into the ballpark before you use the balancing ring?

There is a large segment of users who do that. Even Suburban Tool does it. But I don't feel comfy about it.

@Tom Kitta climbs hymalayan mountains, I can't climb a step ladder. Suburban feels safe drilling out grinding wheels, but I keep picturing it disintegrating on me. I guess we are all different. Prolly a good thing. There is also an interesting view of this practice on Precision Kinetics Website.

Edit - should be Kinetic Precision

I think the best advice I got yet is from @thestelster ..... He says "Pitch it!"

I might try shimming it first.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
After writing a book about my knives, I went out to the shop to play with this bad wheel a bit more.

I shimmed it with a piece of 5 thou feeler gauge left over from another job. I put the shim on the current light side to push the wheel toward the light direction. I could prolly fit a few more thou in there, but the spring action of the shim pushed it as far as it would go anyway. Then I snugged it up on the arbour and put it on my makeshift balancer.

It was a wee bit better than it was before, but not by much. It still takes WAAAAY too much weight to balance.

So ya, it's basically a junk wheel. I'll prolly play with epoxy just for poops N giggles. But not today.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Any other thoughts about things I might be doing wrong?
20231021_131952.jpg

It turns out that a major flaw in this arbour is that the right side shaft needs to be at least a half inch longer. Some wheel arbours are fatter than others and the arbour barely reaches the balance rod.

I am going to make a longer one shortly.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here is the Sopko arbour and dimensions for reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231118_182143_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118_182143_Chrome.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 11

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That's much better.

20231119_141855.jpg

Ground Rods are now levelled on small V-blocks with nothing hanging over, nothing close to touching, and a half inch extra for a wider stone. 7.14 degree (1 in 8) taper is a difficult number to hit....... I must have nailed it by chance last time... LOL!