Suggest a Mill

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Morning everyone;

VEVOR drive arrived for the X-Axis.........the mill handle shaft is about 0.672", so about 0.050" too large for the 0.625" opening in the VEVOR device. Currently building a new side plate (on the table) to replace the original one in order to side mount the motor, with proper table and motor mounting holes. Will get a few pics as i finish some of the steps. Will need to build a new bushing for the the motor bracket itself, and then bore out the actual drive gear to 0.672" to fit the shaft.

MikeANW

Thanks!. I did review this thread as well. I havent modified anything yet. Exploring all the options. The 17mm shaft vs. the 5/8 is annoying but can be managed...its the mounting plate options that i'm exploring now, and i will have to create a new bushing.

MikeANW

Well i did my first bit of work yesterday. Installing the X-Axis drive from VEVOR. it was the 189.00$ CDN unit from VEVOR for the bridgeport with a 5/8 shaft...Parts and nmods to follow. Please do not be TOO critical of my finish work...its been 40 years.....hahahahahahahahaha.

I followed Craigs lead. it works well and is relatively quiet. bushing.jpg driven gear cut and reamed.jpg bushing and plate.jpg installed.jpg installed 2.jpg

casche

Anyone have thoughts on the Craftex CX600, CX601, and the CX611? There's a number of refurbished ones for sale.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When searching for a mill (a year ago), as a newbie - I almost pulled the trigger on a used cx601. The 601 is a very nice machine and about as big as you can get without going to a mill with a 220 volt motor.
The 600 and 611 have similar table sizes and are quite a bit smaller than the 601 so if you are tight for space you might consider either the 600 or 611. I’d go for the 611 over the 600 because it has a bit more weight and a bit larger motor. But, IMO, the 601 beats the 600 or 611 hands down. The extra dollars for the 601 gets you a much heavier and more powerful mill with just a bit bigger foot print.
The 601 is twice as heavy as the 600 and that alone makes it a winner in this comparison.
When you factor in the cost of tooling (which is pretty much the same for any of these mills) then the total cost difference become a smaller percentage gap.
Because of the above points - the 601 is an easier mill to sell if you want to upgrade.

BUT #1 - if you have a budget issue with the 601, then go for either the 600 or 611. Craftex in Canada is very popular for a reason.
BUT #2 - any mill is better than no mill (thanks S)

PS - i would have come home with the 601 that i traveled 2+ hours to look at - except the owner was a complete jerk. It was well used and had a couple of war wounds but he’d advertised it as ‘in like new condition’. After I pointing out my concerns, he offered it at a much lower price. I left empty handed but with my pride intact since i absolutely don’t like dealing with jerks.

Tom O

Ultra Member
$1000.00 off according to this what do they want for the 601?
Could be a negotiation factor for a used one.

IMG_1031.png

casche

It's 2799 on their refurbished page.

The CX611 is 2699 and the CX600 is 1699.

There are no used bench mills in this area of the land (Nova Scotia). I check every day obsessively.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I see the 601 is 2999 for Black Friday. Great deal!!! That is best price i have seen by many $100s
I was going to buy the used one (mentioned above) for more than that.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Unless you have a store nearby, check the shipping cost as Busy Bee shipping costs are pretty high.