Suggest a Mill

MikeANW

thats great....i do get down there, so i will ping you when next i travel. did you document the Coolant mister and the DRO? I am also looking for both hahahahahaha.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Coolant mister is from Amazon. The unique part is that it’s positioned using a magnetic base so it can easily be repositioned (or quickly moved to the band saw).

Several Forum members have the same DRO as I have - Ditron D80. Excellent unit IMO. I posted a couple things about it. Lots of ways to mount the monitor, mine is on the left side with all the cables and clutter hidden behind it. Susquatch has the D80 too and has done several post about his. Do a search - Subject ‘Ditron D80’ by either Susquatch or myself.

Attachments

• C103CE74-32F9-45B6-AB1A-F06C466E3E8F.jpeg
    C103CE74-32F9-45B6-AB1A-F06C466E3E8F.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 18
  • 0C6C172B-745D-4D53-A4C5-AB897734CA3B.jpeg
    0C6C172B-745D-4D53-A4C5-AB897734CA3B.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 7701008D-01B0-4F96-8AF6-E4D225609A84.jpeg
    7701008D-01B0-4F96-8AF6-E4D225609A84.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 25D95FC3-F350-4247-9540-38261C2B0046.jpeg
    25D95FC3-F350-4247-9540-38261C2B0046.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 366D0B44-3482-494D-840B-C04926E8094C.jpeg
    366D0B44-3482-494D-840B-C04926E8094C.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 18

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
A lot of really great advice so far...

Used VS New
I'm a fan of used, only my first mill was new, and I paid a LOT too much for it. You are right in saying that you need knowledge when buying used. No matter where a used machine crops up, the is likely a member nearby to evaluate it for you. Lots of guys here have great experience and can help you, even with a remote purchase.

However, buying new means no hidden flaws or maintenance that turn you machine from a tool into Project Number 207. Several of the guys here have imported tools- the downside is support across the border is complicated. PM seem to handle this well, and I've heard some positives about Grizzly in this respect.

For 4000$ CAD for mill and tooling, a new mill will get you a rather small one . If you were milling plastics and aluminum, this would be more than fine, but knifemaking requires tool steels that are tough to machine. Even full sized mills require skill and practice to machine tool steels well. On a smaller, less rigid mill, it becomes more difficult.

A very tough call.

CNC vs Manual

If you are planning to CNC in the future, this complicates your purchase. I'm not a fan of CNC conversions - and many will diasgree. My take on this is that even a small footprint CNC is designed completely different from the Bridgeport format machine. Too many details to post here, but if you insist on converting, consider a Deckel FP1 or similar design. Your result will be far better.

MikeANW

Coolant mister is from Amazon. The unique part is that it’s positioned using a magnetic base so it can easily be repositioned (or quickly moved to the band saw).

Several Forum members have the same DRO as I have - Ditron D80. Excellent unit IMO. I posted a couple things about it. Lots of ways to mount the monitor, mine is on the left side with all the cables and clutter hidden behind it. Susquatch has the D80 too and has done several post about his. Do a search - Subject ‘Ditron D80’ by either Susquatch or myself.
Nice. I like the setup......i will look up the Ditron unit..

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@MikeANW - I highly recommend a visit to see @CWret. 4 hours is peanuts vs the savings and pain of buying stuff you don't need. The majority of us have too much of that.

Bring the stock for something simple you want to make so you can get your paws dirty and learn a few things too. Perhaps 2 or 4 Custom T-Nuts for your vise. You will need measurements too. Without a locked down trammed vise you can't make them on yours till you have them. So it's the one thing you need to make on another machine anyway!

Yes, you can buy standard T-Nuts, but nothing beats custom in this case cuz custom ones can be longer (to help protect your T-Slots and can even span both vise ears.
In Harold Hall's book on getting started with milling (good book BTW) he describes a method to make T nuts without T nuts.

Last edited:

Tecnico

(Dave)
Thank you all....great guidance and advice.... mister on order and looking for a DRO...
@MikeANW Since you’re starting the DRO hunt it’s worth searching around the forum for options & advice/member’s experience. There are several threads with good advice about DRO type and installation tips. I don’t know where you are on the learning curve so I’ll throw out some ground up advice to start.

Apart from the high end Accurite etc. segment there are proprietary Chinese consoles and Android based systems (TouchDRO) to look at. If you’re shopping Chinese and especially Ditron there is plenty of advice about not paying list and negotiating.

As an alternative to Chinese consoles, TouchDRO is an interesting option that puts the software on a non-proprietary Android tablet platform and the software is very capable. The developer is a home shop guy whose personal DRO (software) project mushroomed into a product. He has a company forum on Hobby Machinist. He’s also a software professional and the product shows it.

I‘m speaking well of TDRO because it sold me, it’s what I chose to install and I’m a satisfied customer. If it pleases you, you can run your lathe & mill DRO on the same tablet, I do that. There are several TDRO installations in our group.

TDRO and the Chinese consoles use the same (RS-232) scales in both glass and magnetic so it makes that part easy.

Bottom line, there are people that have gone before you that can offer advice if it’s needed not to mention do a good job of spending your shop money for you!

Enjoy & let us follow along on your journey!

D :cool:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A very good place to research options and especially get installation advise is: dropros.com

USA based company. Their equipment is top shelf but expensive. Check out their videos.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Their 25 minutes videos have lots of good tips - but the same info could have easily been done in half the time. But still worth the watch for a new-be like me.

MikeANW

Which X-ais power feed is that on the mill? I cannot seem to find a horizontal feed anywhere..........

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Mine is ASONG.
As i said above - Modern Tool supplier it with the mill. One of the benefits of buying new. I think they unintentionally quote me the price at their cost. I picked up the mill and then a couple months later the power X came in. They stuck with the quoted price of $550. (or maybe that was $525 - can’t remember).
Note (in one of the pics) - I added an access hole to get at the lube button (the suppled manual said to remove the unit to to get lube access - WOW)

CW

Attachments

• 4A636E65-A0F3-4250-90FA-B8BE265312BC.jpeg
    4A636E65-A0F3-4250-90FA-B8BE265312BC.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 973B0342-E956-4624-95CF-2246EC0EAC2F.jpeg
    973B0342-E956-4624-95CF-2246EC0EAC2F.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 8
  • E1FA96A8-6569-4B9D-A4FC-6F49C696E629.jpeg
    E1FA96A8-6569-4B9D-A4FC-6F49C696E629.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 25108E6C-5EC9-4B1A-99F1-A45F5F6BE890.jpeg
    25108E6C-5EC9-4B1A-99F1-A45F5F6BE890.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 8

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just looked at DavidR8’s comments- so guess i paid a fair price.

It works great.
It is almost a must have accessory IMO.
Only complaint is that it is too powerful. If you make a mistake and have a conflict with the vise or the clamped piece hitting the column - you know right away when using the hand wheels (you can feel it) but with the power feed, by the time you hear the motor start to grown, it’s too late. I’ve had to re-tram the mill twice because the clamped piece conflicted with the column.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I haven't looked at my mill to see how easy/hard it might be to adapt a Bridgeport-style feed to a PM30-style mill.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes that makes sense also does it stick out as far on the side. Thanks!!!
It definitely sticks out less than the horizontal style but it will likely remove about an inch of X axis travel.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
This is the approach my friend Joe used for his powered knee. He had various pulleys, belts, sprockets and chain in his junk pile. I think he's using a 12V battery charger to run it. I've asked and when I find out I'll post the info.

1698954300170.png