• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Stick Welding- what’s your favourite rod?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yaup look over this way, at least I will fit the age requirement in a few months, the one eye thing is over 30 yrs ago now.

Wow! I'm impressed! That old saying about what doesn't kill us makes us stronger is alive and well!

Your note gives me hope.

I'll keep using a range finder for distance shooting though.

Now if only you could stop the dribbling nightmares @PeterT has caused! LOL!

trevj

Ultra Member
Wow! I'm impressed! That old saying about what doesn't kill us makes us stronger is alive and well!
Meh. I have two shot knees, and four screws, two pins, and a tantalum cage in my back.

That which does not kill us, makes us crusty and cranky at times.

Despite that, ya gotta get on wit yer life! :D

Ironman

Ultra Member
I have a Thermal Arc MST 400 welder and a Millar 22A wire feeder. My goto rod for everything except cast is 7018 1/8" or 5/32" on DC at 105+ amps.
If I am spray welding with wire I'm using 27V and 35ipm which is about 278 amp. I paid 4000 for it new years ago, and it is a joy to use especially for uphand work. The arc control ability on stick is awesome.
Of course Thermal Dynamics quit making this unit, so I aim to hang onto it til I'm buried.
If you are trying to weld uphand, use a 3/32" rod for root and fill except for the cap. The smaller rod gives a more controlable arc deep in the V groove and does not heat to the point of running parent metal like water.

Proxule

Ultra Member
If I am spray welding with wire I'm using 27V and 35ipm which is about 278 amp.
My man..... Finally some one who spray welds, I am very fond of this method. I did manage to lower the voltage and speed parameters required to get a nice spray by using 92/8 or 95/5 gas.

Nice setup!

Ironman

Ultra Member
The gas is the most important thing. I used to use BOC gasses and they were too costly but there Starweld was excellent. When I switched to Praxair I cut my cost in half but the gas they produce for spray is mediocre.

trevj

Ultra Member
Did some spray welding with a Linc Ranger 10LX, and an LN25 suitcase. Pretty sure we were using just straight ol' C25, cranked the voltage and the wire speed up until it all went quite quiet... Sure made some pretty welds, and laid down a lot of wire!

Didn't know enough about he process to know even, that a different gas mix was available, so ran what we had...

Proxule

Ultra Member
Did some spray welding with a Linc Ranger 10LX, and an LN25 suitcase. Pretty sure we were using just straight ol' C25, cranked the voltage and the wire speed up until it all went quite quiet... Sure made some pretty welds, and laid down a lot of wire!

Didn't know enough about he process to know even, that a different gas mix was available, so ran what we had...
Makes sense. I think c25 is capable to spray. But well above the 32v area.
Was it a controlled weld ?
Or flip floppy every where ?

trevj

Ultra Member
Makes sense. I think c25 is capable to spray. But well above the 32v area.
Was it a controlled weld ?
Or flip floppy every where ?
Laid down nice even beads, else we would not have gone beyond the initial experiment.

Like I said, mostly working in ignorance. Had the capability from the power supply, so just dialed it up and up and up until it all went smooth....

Whiskers31

Premium Member
I have a small excavating company I do a lot of repair welding, so I burn a lot of 7018. Sometimes I would need 6011 for certain things. if I can’t get a good clean weld, I might burn 6011 as a root and then finish with a 7018. 7018 is for dissimilar metals. I find that in all position , 7018 larger than 1/8 inch gives me trouble, but I’m sure someone experienced could burn, larger ones with no problem.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
In a nice warm shop, 7018 is great, for nice clean metal. So is 6013,7014,7024 and just about every other rod.

Out in the hot windy dusty frozen field, 7018 is great, 6010/6011 fast freeze is ok if you need to dig, otherwise 7018. For most utility work under most condition's, 7018 will get er done.

Hard to beat spray mig though, for deposition rates and overall speed, but it'll never replace 7018 in the field for repair work.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I think they'd be afraid he'd soil those lily white paws...
I think the issue would the Woof and white flash as all the hair lit up.:p
I have always loved 7018 and DC. It makes me look good. As I age, I was proud of my welds and spray welding with wire. Now I have trouble being steady and seeing where to start with wire. 7018 still makes me look good though.