Spend my money!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
IMO temperature is pretty critical for good results. It's one of the reasons my printers don't see much use in the winter. I normally bring my little side arm kingroon upstairs and run it on the kitchen table, but downstairs is much colder and I get too many print fails. Resin printing is a non starter down there in the winter. When I get around to moving my workbench into the utility room, I am building a heated and vented enclosure for them all, with a nice stable granite top so I don't have to keep jacking with level etc.

A fully enclosed core xy printer like that one solves a lot of the issues that plague the old I3 style printers. I'm not convinced you could stick it anywhere and be successful though.

I have a few different type heater projects in various stages of completion for the resin printer that I could probably wrap up in a weekend, but they've been sitting there for almost 2 years lol. I bought a hair straightener from a thrift store, and fixed the heating elements to the side of a resin vat, and it works great, But it's a spaghetti mess and I need to clean it all up and sort out a better thermostat and control. Then I thought casting my own resin vats in aluminum, with a space for a cartridge heater would be better and cleaner (and perhaps marketable.....), so I got started down that path......but halfway down I stumbled on a small standalone heater project that just sits inside the enclosure and ordered those parts to build it instead, and that's where I sit......It's on the workbench somewhere.....

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Resin printing is a non starter down there in the winter.

I agree on temps overall. With resin, it makes a massive difference as it direct affects the viscosity of the resin. A lot the resins (specially ones like the castable) work best at 32C. On the cheap I built an "environmental chamber" around the printer. Foam board and duct tape with a themostat controlled AC switch and a mini space heater plugged into the switch. I put the resin bottle in the chamber and keep it a temp for a few hours before printing. It works really well, I could not get as good a result without the higher temps

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I used to leave the bottle of resin on the floor register prior to printing, and I'd put the printer on the floor with a cardboard box over it, and a oil filled space heater inside lol. It worked, but too much of a jackaround everytime I wanted to print something. I want to build something a bit more controlled......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My summary of what you swimming coaches said is:

Smells, but not usually horrible. ABS is bad. (Even a clothes dryer stinks to my wife - she is a beagle - printer is going to the barn.)

Can print from computer via WiFi home network. (Barn is 300m from house but I have a long range WiFi Bridge between them and a WiFi access point in the barn.)

Bamboo has a built in camera so I can monitor progress on my android phone app. (Good feature. But even if not, I have Arlo web cams in the barn that are battery operated and even have IR illumination in the dark so I can easily put one someplace to watch the printer.)

Needs a really solid surface to minimize vibrations. (It's actually easier to arrange for that in the barn than in the house. I might make a special stand for it with shelves under it for consumables and stuff.)

Unit self levels. (I gather that 3D printer levelling isn't what I thought it was. It's not like levelling a foundation, it's more like levelling a lathe. Its all about alignment not really gravitational level.)

Some materials are more temperature sensitive than others, but none are really horrible. The printer can be safely stored at lower temperatures. ( I can just set the target temperature of the barn to a comfortable level that supports printing when needed and run lower temp when not printing.)

A Raspberry Pie or similar can be used as a Print Server. (I don't really want that. I'd really rather use my desktop in the house to run Fusion 3D and control the printer in the barn via Wi-Fi. But if the connection isn't solid enough, I could setup a raspberry pie or older laptop to do the slicing and drive the printer.)

Did I understand correctly?

When do you get your Printer @Darren ? I can't wait to watch your first swim!

Another question after scanning the comments that is somewhat startling. These things can do resin too???? That is amazing! Or am I missing something?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Can print from computer via WiFi home network. (Barn is 300m from house but I have a long range WiFi Bridge between them and a WiFi access point in the barn.)
The Bambu can only use 2.4ghz wifi. Probably won't be an issue as I believe 5G routers are backwards compatible.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
It worked, but too much of a jackaround everytime I wanted to print something. I want to build something a bit more controlled......

This was a little more than $100 in total a year ago, higher today., One way of getting control of the temp....it all packs away and was fairly inexpensive.

heater is amazon basics. was $34 a year ago, now is 42. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07V6M4MSN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The thermostat is a Petuivcor Thermostat Outlet Plug which was $43, now not listed as available :(
There was also some creative accounting around not adding the whole foam board purchase price as I used about 1/2 of it).
Foam board was $60 a year ago.

20220722_143148-1300x631.jpg
20220723_063630-1300x631.jpg

20220722_142840-1300x631.jpg

20220723_061945-1300x631.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
After a quick chat with Dabbler, I now understand @Darren's cloud concerns a bit better. My home network is prolly 20Mb or maybe faster. (Mostly 100M for hardwire Ethernet and mostly 10MBit for WiFi. In other words, zero problem doing anything within my home and barn.

But...... my connection to the Web (my provider connection) is abysmal. Maybe 5k on a bad day and 500k on a really good day when all the kids are in school and their parents are at work. Thats download. Uploads are only 10% of that.

If my printer can't be controlled directly within my home network and has to go to the cloud and back first, then I'm going to have a problem. Apparently, the latest Bamboo fixes that but the bigger ones are locked to the Bamboo ecosystem.

Comments and advice from the swimming coaches?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
This was a little more than $100 in total a year ago, higher today., One way of getting control of the temp....it all packs away and was fairly inexpensive.

heater is amazon basics. was $34 a year ago, now is 42. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07V6M4MSN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The thermostat is a Petuivcor Thermostat Outlet Plug which was $43, now not listed as available :(
There was also some creative accounting around not adding the whole foam board purchase price as I used about 1/2 of it).
Foam board was $60 a year ago.

View attachment 41341
View attachment 41340

View attachment 41342

View attachment 41343
Similar solution to what I had, but a bit more elegant!. And elevated. I like it. I bought a thermostat like that for the hair straightener. It "worked" but was a pretty janky setup..... It was a simple enough proof of concept that led me down other avenues towards the cartridge heater and custom vats. Looking that up made me realize it's been 3 years since I bought it.... Didn't seem like that long ago.... I liked the oil radiator because it didn't blow the air around, but it quit working and I tossed it :(. My plan for the new workbench area will be a station similar to yours, but with a fully enclosed fume hood style I can close off with an insulated panel to keep the heat in. I also want it to function as a spray booth for airbrushing too, and maybe an extractor for a burnout oven..... So many hobbies......lol

My printer use is sporadic and project based. I haven't touched them in months, and the resin printer in years apparently, but I have a few ideas for things I want to make (new fishing lures, and some casting patterns), so getting them setup again and finishing the heater projects will become a priority over the christmas break. As the weather turns colder, I turn more towards indoor projects like this, and less machining fab related stuff outside. Eventually I'll have everything all setup and ready to use so I can just hop around from project to project without so much fooling around. Getting there...

Last edited:

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
After a quick chat with Dabbler, I now understand @Darren's cloud concerns a bit better. My home network is prolly 20Mb or maybe faster. (Mostly 100M for hardwire Ethernet and mostly 10MBit for WiFi. In other words, zero problem doing anything within my home and barn.

But...... my connection to the Web (my provider connection) is abysmal. Maybe 5k on a bad day and 500k on a really good day when all the kids are in school and their parents are at work. Thats download. Uploads are only 10% of that.

If my printer can't be controlled directly within my home network and has to go to the cloud and back first, then I'm going to have a problem. Apparently, the latest Bamboo fixes that but the bigger ones are locked to the Bamboo ecosystem.

A crap internet connection may be a problem. File size is obviously a factor as well but simple parts usually have small files.
I think F360 uses the cloud to convert a 360 file to STL as well, doesn't it?
And who do you use for an ISP? That connection sounds pretty bad.

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
That's the thing that pisses me off about the cloud stuff. I'm not so concerned about the security aspect, but as a rural cave dweller with a limited internet connection, I don't see the need to send useless data back and forth constantly. Until we got starlink a few years ago, our only other option was cellular based. All the home school BS from covid was costing me about $3-500 month from streaming 2 kids all day.... Even though we are much cheaper and better now with Starlink, I still don't see the need for it, other than as a way to hold you hostage. I simply refuse to participate with that nonsense and will always choose an option that I own and control 100% whenever I can.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member

You could consider a printer that does not require a connection. I will NOT buy into any cloud BS. I do confidential work and so will not store or let any manufacturer have control of my printer. Also, does cloud mean it updates automatically? I have read more people having problems with automatic updates on Flashforge printers than is worth it... Why can it just not be controlled on board by the printer and programs delivered by USB stick|? no connection required. I strongly suggest going with something like a Craftbot that is not on a cloud. They are on sale for like 50 % off. I have had Craftbot for years and they are almost plug and play. I am linking my vendor who is selling them for 1/2 off...

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The Bambu doesn't require an internet connection, except for updates. May be able to update it via sd card as well, but I don't know. Files can be transferred via SD, that I do know. Without an internet connection, you do lose the remote camera option though. You may be able to turn cloud services off but keep the internet connection? Not sure on that just yet.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A crap internet connection may be a problem. File size is obviously a factor as well but simple parts usually have small files.
I think F360 uses the cloud to convert a 360 file to STL as well, doesn't it?
And who do you use for an ISP? That connection sounds pretty bad.

My problem is like @Dan Dubeau . I live on a farm. No high speed here.

The fastest is star link but they don't cover my area yet. It is rumoured to be coming soon. But they want $700 for the hardware, and $150 monthly. Not impressed. And if Russia starts shooting down satellites like they have threatened to do, I am cooked.

There are only 3 other real options. A bell cellular connection at huge dollars and lousy speed - much worse than I have. Xplornet that is a God awful company ill never do business with again, and TekSavvy who I have. TekSavvy & Xplornet are both point to point wireless with similar speeds but vastly different support and pricing. TekSavvy is cheaper, faster, and better service. Bell is cellular rape for totally unreliable snail speed service. They actually have a nearby 5G tower but deliberately block the signal in my direction. My phone fades in and out let alone a data connection.

So ya, my internet sucks.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You could consider a printer that does not require a connection. I will NOT buy into any cloud BS. I do confidential work and so will not store or let any manufacturer have control of my printer. Also, does cloud mean it updates automatically? I have read more people having problems with automatic updates on Flashforge printers than is worth it... Why can it just not be controlled on board by the printer and programs delivered by USB stick|? no connection required. I strongly suggest going with something like a Craftbot that is not on a cloud. They are on sale for like 50 % off. I have had Craftbot for years and they are almost plug and play. I am linking my vendor who is selling them for 1/2 off...

That's basically why I don't have anything yet. At my age, I want plug and play. No fiddling, no tuning, just plug it on, download a file, print, and get my finished part a short while later. If I can't have that, I don't want it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The Bambu doesn't require an internet connection, except for updates. May be able to update it via sd card as well, but I don't know. Files can be transferred via SD, that I do know. Without an internet connection, you do lose the remote camera option though. You may be able to turn cloud services off but keep the internet connection? Not sure on that just yet.

That's what Dabbler said too. But only for their latest model. The older ones need the cloud. Maybe new updates will fix that.

My own cameras will work on my network. They work better on the cloud, but I don't need better.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That's the thing that pisses me off about the cloud stuff. I'm not so concerned about the security aspect, but as a rural cave dweller with a limited internet connection, I don't see the need to send useless data back and forth constantly. Until we got starlink a few years ago, our only other option was cellular based. All the home school BS from covid was costing me about $3-500 month from streaming 2 kids all day.... Even though we are much cheaper and better now with Starlink, I still don't see the need for it, other than as a way to hold you hostage. I simply refuse to participate with that nonsense and will always choose an option that I own and control 100% whenever I can.

Ya, me too. Security is much less an issue to me than self contained operation. Even Fusion has to talk to home before it let's me do anything. Wtf!

Nothing I will ever make matters to anyone anymore. If it does, they can have it with my blessings.

I just want to print from Fusion 3D in the house to the 3D Printer in the barn.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I think the problem with the higher end printers is that they are turnkey for the amateur and they benefit from cloud based operation. At the local hobby shop they often have a print underway that is large and beautiful. However I think to get there is a lot harder than they let on.

I do use my 3D printer as I use my band saw. Turn it on. Use it. Turn it off. Like the band saw edge which isn't smooth to the level of 600 grit paper I don't expect a lot from my 3D printer. As a result I'm rarely disappointed. The work and time to get to those beautiful prints, IMHO, takes way more hours and meters of filament then I'm willing to put int.

Really all about expectations.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
My problem is like @Dan Dubeau . I live on a farm. No high speed here.

The fastest is star link but they don't cover my area yet. It is rumoured to be coming soon. But they want $700 for the hardware, and $150 monthly. Not impressed. And if Russia starts shooting down satellites like they have threatened to do, I am cooked.

There are only 3 other real options. A bell cellular connection at huge dollars and lousy speed - much worse than I have. Xplornet that is a God awful company ill never do business with again, and TekSavvy who I have. TekSavvy & Xplornet are both point to point wireless with similar speeds but vastly different support and pricing. TekSavvy is cheaper, faster, and better service. Bell is cellular rape for totally unreliable snail speed service. They actually have a nearby 5G tower but deliberately block the signal in my direction. My phone fades in and out let alone a data connection.

So ya, my internet sucks.
I had the same options as you, minus point to point. I live in a gully, and would have needed a very large tower to "see" the nearest transmitter. Starlink was a game changer, and I waited a very long time with a deposit down to get it. Ended up getting the RV version when it became available, then eventually switched my service to residential. It is a very small price to pay for what has been flawless service since I first stuck it on the roof. Worth every single penny.

I gave a lot of money to Bell over the years for cellular internet. The phone call to cancel the service was amazing. :D. Still have bell cellular phones, as it's the only provider that has coverage, but my house is an intermittent dead zone due to topography. Even on their online coverage maps show a tiny blocked out area, and my house is smack in the middle of it lol. Barn and back field, great service.