• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Spend my money!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well, I ordered the Bambu X1 Carbon with the AMS and some filament. Its getting shipped to my address on the other side of the border.

I'm guessing its probably best to stick with Bambu filament since its qr coded? or can I refill with cheaper stuff?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Well, I ordered the Bambu X1 Carbon with the AMS and some filament. Its getting shipped to my address on the other side of the border.

I'm guessing its probably best to stick with Bambu filament since its qr coded? or can I refill with cheaper stuff?
Hopefully you won't be restricted to one suppliers filament. That's like being told your MSM mill is ready to use but you can only use metal from Metal Supermarkets. The MSM mill won't function otherwise.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member

Using generic filament is no problem. You can tweak all the settings for any particular filament in the AMS settings. All the usual problems with generic filaments apply such as somewhat random diameters and bad spooling. I had a bunch of filaments from 3D Printing Canada that were crosswound and wouldn't feed properly until I respooled them. They gave me credit for one or two but I was on my own for the rest. Beware of filament on cardboard spools as they can spread over time and then the crosswinding problem happens again. The Bambu filament also comes in rolls with no spools for a bit less. You just insert a 2 piece spool into the winding and you are good to go. The AMS is nice for super long prints or for using up the last few bits from different spools. It will just change to the next spool in the lineup as long as it is the same material. No regrets so far. The app will tell you if there is a problem with the print at anytime and it does an inspection of the first layer before proceeding. Fail fast, lather, rinse, repeat.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member

congrats, its a whole new world adding an amazing abilitiy and utility in the support of shop activities. Then you can add add a resin printer. Entirely different uses. I've had some much fun with both I'd not want to be out them, they are constantly being used.

You must be able to use any filament, I can't see it working any other way as I'd think that would be deal breaker for most.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Congrats. You dove right in the deep end, and I'm curious to hear your impressions of it, and the uses you find for it. I have both FDM and resin printers, and they each have their merits and special uses.

I hope you love it, but if you hate it, and want to unload it (they depreciate %50 the minute you drive them off the lot...) then let me know, and I'll help you out ;).

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I really hope I have the same experience with it as the many review videos I watched. Seems like a solid unit. Print speed and flexibility are really what got me. I watched one video where he had a lower end printer making a very simple part and it took 2.5 hours, and another video where a guy made a much more complex part on the X1 and it was done in 15 minutes, and the print quality difference was obvious.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Yeah, as someone with traditional printers, When I first saw the print speed of them, it almost seemed fake. They really are that fast. That's the reason My next one will be corexy, speed. The filament changer will be very handy too. You're skipping to the front of the line, and bypassing all the annoying stuff that we've all had to do and put up with over the years. :D I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious.

I really do hope you enjoy it. I think everybody should have one. Especially people that make and repair stuff. Once you get into CAD and are able to model parts yourself, you really start unlocking their true potential.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Being a mechanic probably gives me a bit of insight into the perils of cheaping out. Tools, parts, shop equipment, Fords, etc are all examples i deal with . Skipping to the front of the line made sense to me on this purchase.

One of the uses I see myself using the printer is convenience items to make my job easier. Multi compartment trays for engine bolts with built in labels, other various tool organizers. Etc. All the stuff i'll never have time to build. I can probably make them much faster in Fusion and let the printer do the work. Ready to use right out of the printer.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I really hope I have the same experience with it as the many review videos I watched. Seems like a solid unit. Print speed and flexibility are really what got me. I watched one video where he had a lower end printer making a very simple part and it took 2.5 hours, and another video where a guy made a much more complex part on the X1 and it was done in 15 minutes, and the print quality difference was obvious.

Then there are the REALLY LUCKY GUYS like me who get to watch your nooby swim and see if the gators get you before we tiptoe our way into the deep water too...... Please do keep us posted Darren. And please spare us no details.

Some quick questions for the swim team:

Can this thing be put in the shop and run off WiFi or does it have to be next to a computer?

I keep my barn just above freezing for the winter. Is the printer temperature sensitive? Would I have to keep the barn warm all winter or could i just turn up the temperature out in the barn each time I use it, or will it work fine when its cold?

I've heard they have to be levelled. Does that rule out a rolling cart? Or can I place the cart, level the printer, and then press go?

My wife has an amazing nose. If I get I could get her to do it, she could track rabbits like a beagle. Do these things stink when they print? Are some wires more stinky than others?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I kept mine in the sunroom for the longest time sitting on an old glass top Kitchen Aid Stove. It wasn't so much that it was level but it was solid. My new SOVAL sits on the granite sink cutout. A friend has his sitting on a slab of concrete paving block.

PLA is fairly forgiving. The rest not so much. ABS requires an enclosed cabinet and a bit of warming. My Best ABS prints were in the summer when the sunroom hit 30C. Three good prints, one not so much because although the temperature was still about the same a breeze picked up and with the patio door open the breeze cooled it enough to make a difference.

I ran off WiFi into a Raspberry Pi running OctoPi OS. Access is via a web page like this:
1701920872334.png

I drag the .gcode files onto the web page and they are uploaded to the Pi. I then select what I want to print and press print. Then I can watch the temperature go up and switch to the screen with the camera which is plugged into the Raspberry Pi too.

The Slicer program takes care of converting the STL file into G-Code for your particular printer. OctoPrint only needs to know some printer parameters like max size etc. It can control relays too so you can turn on a light or even a heater.

And yes they all smell a bit.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Oh and you can connect them directly to your PC without the Pi. Then you use the slicer software or software that comes with the printer to talk to it. Or if not near your PC then you can do sneaker-net with a MicroSD card that holds the gcode. Use the user interface to select which print you want done. From the front panel you can change filament and level the bed with the probe etc.

If you do have a place in the barn for it, where it's cold, build an insulated box around it and heat it up to room temp during the time you are using it. Let it stabilize. But it's nice to have a camera on it so you can watch remotely what it's doing.

Here I went down to my office since the camera that was watching couldn't see any of the first two layers. Had to use flash to illuminate the clear material.

1701922086916.png

Edit. Clean up sentence stukture and speling

Last edited:

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Then there are the REALLY LUCKY GUYS like me who get to watch your nooby swim and see if the gators get you before we tiptoe our way into the deep water too...... Please do keep us posted Darren. And please spare us no details.

Can this thing be put in the shop and run off WiFi or does it have to be next to a computer?

I keep my barn just above freezing for the winter. Is the printer temperature sensitive? Would I have to keep the barn warm all winter or could i just turn up the temperature out in the barn each time I use it, or will it work fine when its cold?

I've heard they have to be levelled. Does that rule out a rolling cart? Or can I place the cart, level the printer, and then press go?

My wife has an amazing nose. If I get I could get her to do it, she could track rabbits like a beagle. Do these things stink when they print? Are some wires more stinky than others?
The Carbon X1 is in an enclosed cabinet. I keep mine in the shop and the shop stays around 12 to 15C. It prints just fine at that temperature. Not sure how it would be at freezing or colder. With the enclosed cabinet the heating of the bed warms the cabinet to some degree. I haven't noticed much of a smell when printing PLA or PETG. It connects to wifi, no need for a wired connection. While the printer should be kept fairly level, the leveling talked about refers to the relationship between the print head and the bed that the print sits on. The Carbon X1 does the bed leveling automatically at the start of every print by default. The Bambu Labs slicer program and the phone app both allow remote viewing of the printing progress and the app will notify you if things go wrong. The printer has a built in camera so no need to hook one up to monitor things.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member

PLA is a plastic made out of plants. I kind of smells sweet when printing. If you buy one, you could have it in the house unless you want to print exotics like ABS. Leveling is within the machine. It needs a stable platform or table to sit on as there is fast movement within that can cause vibration if not on a solid surface..