Sourcing Metal | General Discussion

BMW Rider

Super User
The only times I bought there I got full lengths but they cut it into manageable lengths.
I've only been there once just recently, but bought less than a full length and cut to fit into my truck. Very good price too, I'll certainly patronize them more.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Full length = 20ft or 24ft, half length = 10ft or 12ft. Usually no one sells less then half length unless you go to Metal Supermarket. Places that need minimum purchase may only sell full lengths of 20 or 24.

I feel multiple users interchange full length and half lengths - including myself - making it confusing as to what is actually meant by what.

Generally places with minimum purchase are the cheapest but least friendly as far as cutting stuff to length is concerned - you may also be stuck behind someone picking up order for $20000. This is followed by Federal Metals in Calgary which sells half lengths but at least to my knowledge will not cut shorter even for just transport. Next is Steel Inc. which is measurable amount more then Federal but they will do few more cuts. Finally its MS which will cut for a price into as many pieces you want - they may for larger orders of structural steel be cheaper then Steel Inc. and may even touch Federal prices.

Only MS offers some specialty metals.

You can also get special metals online, through shipping in Canada is ultra expensive. Online is mostly domain of people living in US or maybe Europe.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I bought myself a portable 20v battery powered bandsaw :) it’s ok if they don’t cut stuff.
Great idea. I did similarly years ago, but got a PortABand 110VAC. I just bring my Honda generator when I go to those places and cut it in the parking lot. Haven't been there in years, but last time I went there were two other guys in the lot I ended up cutting stock for.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm looking for a small piece of tool steel to make a forming tool. Maybe 3/16" thick by .75 wide by 3" long.
Anyone have a piece to spare?

trlvn

Ultra Member
I'm looking for a small piece of tool steel to make a forming tool. Maybe 3/16" thick by .75 wide by 3" long.
Anyone have a piece to spare?
I've got a stick of 1/8 X 3/4...believe it is O1 so you would have to harden and temper it. Is that too thin?

Craig

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've got a stick of 1/8 X 3/4...believe it is O1 so you would have to harden and temper it. Is that too thin?

Craig
I need to make a form tool to turn a 5/16" radius so a pretty hefty bite, it could work if I go slooooow.....

trlvn

Ultra Member
I need to make a form tool to turn a 5/16" radius so a pretty hefty bite, it could work if I go slooooow.....
I don't think my 1/8" O1 would be stiff enough...likely chatter city!

Why not just grind it out of a cheap 3/8 X 3/8 HSS blank? Or even 1/4 X 1/4?

Craig

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think my 1/8" O1 would be stiff enough...likely chatter city!

Why not just grind it out of a cheap 3/8 X 3/8 HSS blank? Or even 1/4 X 1/4?

Craig
Yeah, I'm going to try that first. Just not confident in my ability to make a nice profile.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Do you have a 5/8” ball nose end mill? If yes, (or something close), you just need to hold it in a round boring bar holder and use the one cutting edge. Done. Works like a charm - especially if you nibble from both z and the x direction and only engage the whole radius for the final clean-up pass of a few tenths.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Go @David_R8 go!! You can do eeet!!

if you lived closer I have lots of tool steel you could try- small pieces - old end mills!? I have a piece of 3/16 x 1/2” wide about 12” long ?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Do you have a 5/8” ball nose end mill? If yes, (or something close), you just need to hold it in a round boring bar holder and use the one cutting edge. Done. Works like a charm - especially if you nibble from both z and the x direction and only engage the whole radius for the final clean-up pass of a few tenths.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean.
Do you have a video to a similar process?
Edit: I think I know what you mean now after thinking about it.