• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sourcing Metal | General Discussion

SparWeb

The reason I ask is because it's a "backburner" project I've wanted to finish for a really long time. I have always wanted an easy-reference chart of local or on-line suppliers of materials and processes to refer to. Mostly for work (aircraft specialty modifications) where we find ourselves needing to specify a lot of very different materials and processes, and call up a qualified supplier for each. I actually have purchasers here who have a better handle on it than me, but what they don't do is summarize what they know by writing it down. They just have it in their head!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome. I thing the thread (which started out in 2015) initially just attempted to pull together sources & leads for the local (meaning Calgary area) crowd. But a lot of time has since passed. Economy went through some fun times, some places no longer exist, pandemic made for a few more challenges, quite a few folks joined the forum from other regions who maybe have different resources. I guess I'm saying some of the info may well be dated & there has been no real effort to keep an active list per-se. Also people have different needs based on what they are building. It still might be worth skimming through just to get a feel.

If you have some information to contribute on this front, I'm sure it would be well received. From my own limited experience trying to source typical hobbyist quantities of lets say diverse but typical alloys, its a rather short & dismal list relative to my home town (Calgary). Lots of places in the USA like OnLine Metal, Speedy Metals, McMaster Carr who sell by inch or foot don't really exist to the same extent in Canada (aside from Metal Supermarkets). OLM will ship at slightly discounted UPS rates. Speedy is a UPS only shipper, so you really need a re-ship or border method to mitigate UPS dinger fees. McMaster is awesome, but technically only sells to CDN companies & institutions. Aircraft Spruce in Canada is pretty good for what they carry. Metal is heavy so we are at the mercy of shippers. Especially bigger quantities like full lengths of rod, pipe, bar, whatever usually shipping is the killer cross country. So 30% discount in one city or province gets gobbled up pretty quick to another region. Also, scrap yards seem to have changed over the years, region dependent. Maybe its liability or just extracting maximum value, half the places we used to frequent back in the day don't even want you on the property unless you are dropping off under supervision. Sometimes some Kijii deals or auctions have come up & the hobby metal ravens circled & scooped in, but not often.

Not sure if this provides overview but feel free to add any knowledge to the pile. There was also some talk of us just getting organized & maybe doing a group buy couple times per year so that a 12 footer of whatever could be divvied up. But it takes an organizer & effort. Mostly I think people are just driven by their own project needs & get what they need when they need it more or less.

SparWeb

Thanks Peter, my experience is much the same.
For example, Atlas became Ideal Metals, then became Ryerson. I haven't been in contact with them for almost 10 years, so I'm quite out of touch.
Recently, there's a new supplier named Calgary Metal Market on 41st Avenue NE. I've been meaning to check them out.
I used to have a list of suppliers that I maintained a long time ago. I seem to have left that behind when I left that workplace.

Once I was in Windsor Plywood, or maybe Black Forest, and as I was talking to the guy at the desk, he consulted a list of names and phone numbers under the transparent plexi on his desk. I asked him for a copy of it and that turned out to be a useful list of local (Calgary) suppliers of materials, fasteners, tools and other supplies, that still keep handy.

It sounds like you folks would like to see a copy of that, and bring it up to date.

buckbrush

The reason I ask is because it's a "backburner" project I've wanted to finish for a really long time. I have always wanted an easy-reference chart of local or on-line suppliers of materials and processes to refer to. Mostly for work (aircraft specialty modifications) where we find ourselves needing to specify a lot of very different materials and processes, and call up a qualified supplier for each. I actually have purchasers here who have a better handle on it than me, but what they don't do is summarize what they know by writing it down. They just have it in their head!
Are you aware of Aircraft Spruce?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
new supplier named Calgary Metal Market
They are nice guys, but you have to watch their prices. Great prices on used welding equipment. I bought a rod oven from them for 50 bucks.

When they get metal at auction their prices are very good, and they try to keep near Federal metals prices but with better quality stock.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought a rod oven from them for 50 bucks.

What is a rod oven? Is that something designed to restore old rods when the flux gets full of water? (ie sort of like drying out old dessicant)???

If so, any idea what temp it operates at? And how well does it work?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
What is a rod oven? Is that something designed to restore old rods when the flux gets full of water? (ie sort of like drying out old dessicant)???

If so, any idea what temp it operates at? And how well does it work?
It’s more designed to store them, and keep them dry from the get go. Much like a cigar humidor. Rednecks just use an old fridge that’s broken but the lightbulb gets changed to stay on constant

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It’s more designed to store them, and keep them dry from the get go. Much like a cigar humidor. Rednecks just use an old fridge that’s broken but the lightbulb gets changed to stay on constant

I see. So is that better than the sealed plastic tubes I keep mine in? I do have an old fridge I could use....... I was saving it for the kids, but apparently they don't want my old junk so I have been planning to scrap it as soon as I have time (otherwise known as making it a "priority") to load it into the trailer and get it out of here.

I assume that this trick works by keep the fridge above ambient and therefore at lower relative humidity.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I see. So is that better than the sealed plastic tubes I keep mine in? I do have an old fridge I could use....... I was saving it for the kids, but apparently they don't want my old junk so I have been planning to scrap it as soon as I have time (otherwise known as making it a "priority") to load it into the trailer and get it out of here.

I assume that this trick works by keep the fridge above ambient and therefore at lower relative humidity.
If you are having problems welding then low hydrogen rods that may not be dry certainly won't be helpful to your welding skills. If you don't already have some 7014 I'd suggest to try some.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver

Just like a desiccant pack, rods will pick up moisture. The fridge or a rod oven will mitigate that. “Wet” rods don’t weld well

Aliva

Super User
The ideal temperature for low hydrogen rods is around 150F. A light bulb in a refrigerator will never achieve this.
I don't have a rod oven so I store all my rods if opened from the original packaging, in a cardboard document shipping tube. The tube is wrapped in clear packing tape to prevent moisture from penetrating.
I found the plastic rod tubes way too expensive at $15 each, I'd need about a dozen. The shipping tubes are about $ 3 for a 36" tube.
Before I do any serious welding I throw the rods in a toaster oven at 150F for a 45 minutes, this drives any moisture out.
At work we put all rod types in the rod oven, not just low hydrogen.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The ideal temperature for low hydrogen rods is around 150F. A light bulb in a refrigerator will never achieve this.
I don't have a rod oven so I store all my rods if opened from the original packaging, in a cardboard document shipping tube. The tube is wrapped in clear packing tape to prevent moisture from penetrating.
I found the plastic rod tubes way too expensive at $15 each, I'd need about a dozen. The shipping tubes are about $ 3 for a 36" tube.
Before I do any serious welding I throw the rods in a toaster oven at 150F for a 45 minutes, this drives any moisture out.
At work we put all rod types in the rod oven, not just low hydrogen.

Plastic Tubes 12 x 15 = $180

Rod Oven gotta be $200 plus

Hmmmmm. I think you should go buy the plastic weld tubes!

I don't need a dozen. Think I have 6.

Aliva

Super User
Plastic Tubes 12 x 15 = $180

Rod Oven gotta be $200 plus

Hmmmmm. I think you should go buy the plastic weld tubes!

I don't need a dozen. Think I have 6.
6 full length mailing tubes will yield 12 rod tubes 3x6 $18. saved $162. And yes a rod oven well north of $200. I already have a toaster oven. The plastic rod tubes are great for storage but I still have to heat the rods to remove moisture

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
6 full length mailing tubes will yield 12 rod tubes 3x6 $18. saved $100. And yes a rod oven well north of $200. I already have a toaster oven. The plastic rod tubes are great for storage but I still have to heat the rods to remove moisture

I'm just not convinced that those mailing tubes stop water very well even if wrapped in tape. But I have no data to support that gutt instinct.

But you answered a question I had. Glad to hear you can pop em in the oven and dry them out.

Anybody have thoughts about the square plastic sleeves some rods come in?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If you are having problems welding then low hydrogen rods that may not be dry certainly won't be helpful to your welding skills. If you don't already have some 7014 I'd suggest to try some.

Is 7014 low hydrogen or just easy to weld with?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is 7014 low hydrogen or just easy to weld with?
No dry storage requirement for 7014 as they are not like low hydrogen 7018 rods. My welding instructors referred to 7014 as "farmers electrode" and I think he meant it as a " jack of all trades, master of none" sort of statement.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Most 7000 series rods are low hydrogen. If you like easy welding try 7024 but it's only designed for flat welding not like 7018 which is all position

All my best welding is flat.

Usually sound asleep dreaming about nice welds.

You said 7024 here but 7014 earlier...... Is one of them a thumb slip?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No dry storage requirement for 7014 as they are not like low hydrogen 7018 rods. My welding instructors referred to 7014 as "farmers electrode" and I think he meant it as a " jack of all trades, master of none" sort of statement.

Sounds perfect for me here on the farm. I've only really ever used 6011. And a bit of hard face (no idea what number) for plow points.

Prolly doesn't much matter though. All my welding looks like the mud nest of a barn swallow. Complete with grass and straw.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Back to Sourcing Metal Stock (LOL)....
Would there be any appetite organizing a bulk combined order from one of the larger USA suppliers like below, maybe if some logistics could be worked out? For example
- everyone has a wish list in the que, these would be assembled into an order, spreadsheet easy-peasy
- select a mutually acceptable date, ideally coinciding with the perpetual 10-20% off deals that comes along, maybe a 1-2 times per year spring/fall thing?
- place order, drop ship to favorable USA border depot (it all arrives ~ same time)
- the potentially tricky but not insurmountable bit: a dedicated mule with makes a run to border, reimbursed fuel & expenses etc.
- divide the load back in Calgary, everybody gets their drops of unobtanium bronze, brass, cast iron... etc