• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sourcing Metal | General Discussion

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't:confused: Explain it to me now please. I probably don't appreciate what kind of tool you need.
I need a form tool that cuts this shape in the end of a 5/8" rod.
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 6.57.05 PM.png
@RobinHood is suggesting that I put a ball nose endmill in a boring bar holder and use it to form the radius on the rod by moving the Z and X axis

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
It's for the floating vise handle.
I need to put the radius on the part with the pin.
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.12.05 PM.png

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well it ain't a precise way of doing it but... I have put a nice round end on lots of rod by chucking it in a hand drill and then taking it to the belt sander or grinding stone. It sounds crude but it actually can turn out well.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't have a ton of experience with those large radii tools but I find them fiddly to make & more-so to make cut properly without rubbing. A ball turning tool is really the weapon of choice, but if you just have the occasional part & its not crucial to have perfect geometry, you can just do a series of in-feed cuts, blue it, then round it smooth with abrasive until the blue is gone. That's how I did the nose case for my radial. So you could similarly do custom profiles for which you will never find a cutter. It does help if you have a CAD program to compute the X-Y intercepts, but circular steps can be done with a hand calculator.

Attachments

• IMG_0509_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0509_edited-1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0510_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0510_edited-1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7156_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7156_edited-1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7157_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7157_edited-1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7158_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7158_edited-1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7161_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7161_edited-1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7173_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7173_edited-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 7

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
David I don't think you need a special tool. call me. it is very easy to do on your mill, not your lathe.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks gents, as always the group comes through with a raft of awesome ideas!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I was thinking aof a version of rotate-around the pin technique with a normal milling cutter. easy, quick.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
This short piece of brass showed up at my work in a box labeled Fragile handle with care. I had a good laugh. I don't think this could get damaged in shipping. Even Canada post couldn't break this.
IMG_20211004_165627_328.jpg

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
But Canada post could probably ship that across Canada and back by mistake….. don’t underestimate their true strengths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey guys, I didn't read the whole thread but I have a suggestion for buying "rod" and "bar".

There is a farm supply shop near me where I can get bolts in a plethora of sizes real cheap. I buy bolts (and sometimes nuts) there of various grades (stainless too), chop the heads off, turn off the threads and voila - real cheap bar for my projects.

Gotta be lots of farm supply shops near Calgary. Farm equipment wrecking yards also have plate. It might be a chore to cut out what you need but it's often times available for less than the cost of scrap metal.

SparWeb

Hello,
I'm still new here, so I will start reading this thread for its long history.
I'm having a TLDR moment with this thread, but I'll get over it because there's probably some gems hiding in here.

Before I dive into reading this whole (long) thread, is there a summary somewhere that I can use?
For work, I need to source materials and processes as well (laser cutting, anodizing, composite bonding, etc) and I 'd like to find out when new players enter or leave the field (in Alberta especially).

Suggestion: Anybody compiling a Google sheet? Does on already exist? Looks like a big enough audience here for that to be very valuable.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hello,
I'm still new here, so I will start reading this thread for its long history.
I'm having a TLDR moment with this thread, but I'll get over it because there's probably some gems hiding in here.

Before I dive into reading this whole (long) thread, is there a summary somewhere that I can use?
For work, I need to source materials and processes as well (laser cutting, anodizing, composite bonding, etc) and I 'd like to find out when new players enter or leave the field (in Alberta especially).

Suggestion: Anybody compiling a Google sheet? Does on already exist? Looks like a big enough audience here for that to be very valuable.

Lots of opportunities here and elsewhere in other threads here on the forum for that. Haven't seen anything though.

I earmark threads I want to reference in future by sending myself an email with a link to the thread and a subject that I can search.