• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

SM 9x24 metal lathe for sale $3500

John Conroy

Premium Member
The follow rest is made from a

I ordered a GH 1440W from Modern Tool. I would have loved a SM1124 or 1324. We had 1124s at the high school I taught at. Still going strong.

Jamie I bought a GH1440W from Modern in 2019. I posted about my experience with the new machine and if you are interested you can read about it here.

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.c...s-or-a-pm1440hd-from-precision-matthews.1229/

Last year I had trouble with the single phase motor, the start capacitor failed. I used that as an excuse to convert the machine to 3 phase with a VFD to enable variable speed operation. This was a huge improvement in the smoothness and versatility of the lathe and I'm super happy with it. I posted about that here.

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.c...hase-conversion-on-modern-gh1440w-lathe.1990/

I have PDF copies of the Precision Matthews 1440HD and Jet GH1440W manuals (on Google Drive) which are both far superior to the one that came from Modern with my machine, let me know if your would like access to them.

I am in St. Albert so if you would like to check out my machine you are welcome to visit.

It was Home Shop Machinist. I buy the anthologies so I do not have a date or year. A Simple Indexing Attachment for your lathe. Don Titus author.

Attachments

• index arbour.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
This lathe has sold to a gunsmith in Crooked Creek Alberta. He wanted a smaller lathe for other jobs. It sold for $3750 because he took the custom drawer sets that I had built for the stand.

Attachments

• Lathe stand.jpg
    Lathe stand.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 29