• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

SM 9x24 metal lathe for sale $3500

I am picking up a new lathe at Modern Tool in Edmonton in the first week of June. Could deliver. Please email maxwelljames56@gmail.com.
Standard Modern 9x24 metal lathe #2331, Manual included, former high school lathe, owned for 25 years
160mm(6”) three jaw chuck, 1.5”-8tpi cast iron backplate
160mm(6”) four jaw independent chuck, 1.5”-8tpi cast iron backplate
ER40 collet chuck, 1.5”-8tpi cast iron backplate, wrenches
Aloris AXA toolpost, four toolholders KBC #1-531-1BS($1069.59 list )
Dorian D25AXA1 toolholder
Four copies Aloris AXA1/1018 steel
two copies Dorian D25AXA1/1018 steel
1.5”-8tpi Faceplate, Dog Driving plate, MT3 dead center, spindle adaptor/mount for 5C spindexer
Keyless drill chuck/MT2Arbor, MT2 live center, Carriage stop
South Bend Steady Rest, shop made follow rest, Original chip tray
MLA s-4382 T-Slot Cross Slide
Original Gryphon ½ HP motor wired 120v/ reversing drum switch
Lantern tool post/rocker
Lathe Stand included w/leveling feet, 38” floor to chip tray, 47” floor to Bedways
Square wrench for carriage lock, Tailstock wrench

Attachments

• SM 1.jpg
    SM 1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 90
  • All accessories.jpg
    All accessories.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Aloris.jpg
    Aloris.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 75
  • ER40 chuck.jpg
    ER40 chuck.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Chuck cradle.jpg
    Chuck cradle.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Feeds and Threads.jpg
    Feeds and Threads.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Tool holders.jpg
    Tool holders.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 77
  • index mount.jpg
    index mount.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Drive Spindle and feed gears.jpg
    Drive Spindle and feed gears.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Long and Cross select.jpg
    Long and Cross select.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Facing Chuck mount 2.jpg
    Facing Chuck mount 2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Tailstock.jpg
    Tailstock.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 60

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I do not think it is spam but lathe is expensive. King 10x22 brand new with similar tooling would be around 4000 plus your own stand.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well it's hard to tell if it's for sale or the guy just bought it himself, that's why I thought it might be spam. I guess in the title it does say "for sale"

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That follower rest doesn't look right to me and I'm not seeing a taper attachment?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The follow rest looks like it's shop built for a SB. There is a lot of nice tooling with the machine and it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, time will tell.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes given all the tooling, (and once I realized it wasn't click bait) I didn't think the price was WAY out of line if the lathe checks out decent.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well it's hard to tell if it's for sale or the guy just bought it himself, that's why I thought it might be spam. I guess in the title it does say "for sale"

He says he is picking up new one in June.

Follow rest is home made.

Most of the tooling is cheap Chinese same one you get with King. Also threaded spindle. If it was me I would spend $500 and not only get all 100% new but also more powerful and modern lathe. I say as is 2500 is OK price.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Jamie - This is the first I've seen of the t-slot cross slide, that's a good upgrade.
Are you getting another SM or a Modern?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Clever way of indexing the spindle - I like that idea a lot.
No kidding. I coule see doing this on my South Bend.
What do you think on inside the spindle to create the rigid connection?
Something like a split tube with an internal tapered arbor that is drawn up to expand the tube?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I also like it RobinHood, cleaver way of indexing the spindle although I'm completely lost as to how it connects internally from spin indexer into the spindle. The support stand is pretty much straight forward.

David_R8 you may very well have it solved, put up a drawing if you can so this old brain can work it out.

I have a new spin indexer barely used just like the one in the photo which would certainly do the trick.

The follow rest looks like it's shop built for a SB. There is a lot of nice tooling with the machine and it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, time will tell.
The follow rest is made from a
Jamie - This is the first I've seen of the t-slot cross slide, that's a good upgrade.
I ordered a GH 1440W from Modern Tool. I would have loved a SM1124 or 1324. We had 1124s at the high school I taught at. Still going strong.

That follower rest doesn't look right to me and I'm not seeing a taper attachment?
This lathe did not come with a taper attachment. The amazing thing is that the SB9 and the SM9 must have been really very similar in the bedways, carriage, cross slide etc. I had this steady rest for years and never realized that it was a SB. As you can see from the photo is fits just fine.
The T-slotted cross slide is a casting from Metal Lathe Accessories in the states. The casting is meant for a SB9 but it machined up just fine for a SM9. I really enjoyed the project as the plans and instructions were really good.

Attachments

• SB steady on SM9 2.jpg
    SB steady on SM9 2.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 13
I also like it RobinHood, cleaver way of indexing the spindle although I'm completely lost as to how it connects internally from spin indexer into the spindle. The support stand is pretty much straight forward.

David_R8 you may very well have it solved, put up a drawing if you can so this old brain can work it out.

I have a new spin indexer barely used just like the one in the photo which would certainly do the trick.

Attachments

• Spindle to index.jpg
    Spindle to index.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Spindle to index 2.jpg
    Spindle to index 2.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 29
  • spindle to index 3.jpg
    spindle to index 3.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 27
I posted some pictures above. The portion that is inside the spindle is just slit in two places with a bolt pulled wedge plug. The wedge plug has hex in case the whole affair needs a socket attached to aid untorqueing.The outside is 15/16 dia for a 5C collet. It is from a HSM article. I can look it up.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I posted some pictures above. The portion that is inside the spindle is just slit in two places with a bolt pulled wedge plug. The wedge plug has hex in case the whole affair needs a socket attached to aid untorqueing. The outside is 15/16 dia for a 5C collet. It is from a HSM article. I can look it up.

Jamie would appreciate reading that HSM article should you locate it. I'm sure others would too!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I posted some pictures above. The portion that is inside the spindle is just slit in two places with a bolt pulled wedge plug. The wedge plug has hex in case the whole affair needs a socket attached to aid untorqueing.The outside is 15/16 dia for a 5C collet. It is from a HSM article. I can look it up.

That is exactly how I imagined doing it.