• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Rifle Action Truing

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Well we kind'a "sideways" this thread a bit ....but damn its been interesting & informative.
Chicken, your "football" concept is one of the oldest and most re-engineered concepts of barrel making & shooting since spiral rifling was first introduced into the quotient....the trial & errors of different rifling forms & twist rates have been re-engineered every time a new caliber is introduced and then again for every different bullet ever produced ( the "sectional density" thing that Susq mentioned) and we aint never gonna get all that rehashed in this liftime.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
the trial & errors of different rifling forms & twist rates have been re-engineered every time a new caliber is introduced

I smell an absolutely wonderful discussion/debate/fight here about the black magic of the 6.5CM...... definitely a terrific hunt camp discussion! LOL!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Ever wonder why the trigger isn’t on a angle or be able to float a little side to side to compensate for the arc movement of the finger

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Tom O you haven't shot a worn out cooey or you wouldn't ask about side to side trigger float. :):)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ever wonder why the trigger isn’t on a angle or be able to float a little side to side to compensate for the arc movement of the finger

Don't know which model you mean, but can say that a trigger made by Trigger Tech in Canada will make you smile from ear to ear. They are expensive but totally worth every penny. The design is insensitive to side thrust - and darn near every other trigger curse I know of.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tom O you haven't shot a worn out cooey or you wouldn't ask about side to side trigger float. :):)

My very first two guns almost 70 years ago were Cooeys. They were horrid things but as a young boy I loved them. They also taught me some good habits that have lasted a lifetime.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Have a look at any Olympic Match Rifle, or target pistol by Anshutz, Hammerli, Walther, Feinwerkbau.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Jewell Triggers for Remington actions.

I bet you have not tried Trigger Tech....... For obvious reasons, they started out with triggers for Remington. They must have a half dozen different ones now just for Remington.

Almost all my old triggers are Jewell. All my new ones are Trigger Tech.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy man--- from turbulence to twist to triggers...all in one page... Ime going on 68 yrs old and aint got enough "lifetime" left in me to come close to covering 60 yrs of shooting & all the above--but you guys keep on I'll enjoy the ride as long as I can.

I agree with that! At mid 70s, the biggest risk is falling asleep in the middle of typing.

The problem isn't really not being able to type long notes or even cover lots of ground. It's the width, length, and depth of the subject.

Best to come over to chat and kick me when I doze off.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But I will agree with Degen wholeheartedly , without first conquering the human frailties of shooting, the very best-most expensive equipment in the world will not make a person a "shooter" of the first degree.

A game I like to play with the young shooters (old shooters are too stubborn) who claim I only shoot well because I have competition equipment is to load up 20 rounds, let them pick 10 rounds and give me the other 10, and then we both take turns to shoot 2 five shot groups. If they complain that the wind was in my favour, I'll do a round Robin with them for the last pair of groups.

There is no question that a nice bench rifle makes them a better shooter so I'll often repeat that with a hunting rifle to make it real for them. It's funny how much better they listen to advice after that. It's also amazing how quickly a young shooter improves when they are open to suggestions.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
A game I like to play with the young shooters (old shooters are too stubborn) who claim I only shoot well because I have competition equipment is to load up 20 rounds, let them pick 10 rounds and give me the other 10, and then we both take turns to shoot 2 five shot groups. If they complain that the wind was in my favour, I'll do a round Robin with them for the last pair of groups.

There is no question that a nice bench rifle makes them a better shooter so I'll often repeat that with a hunting rifle to make it real for them. It's funny how much better they listen to advice after that. It's also amazing how quickly a young shooter improves when they are open to suggestions.
I’m always open for suggestions, but the trick is knowing if the person giving advice is worth listening to. That’s in general, in my opinion, not just related to shooting.

Then there’s the old buggers who yell at you to do it “properly” (their way) and will rap your knuckles if you don’t :D

Luckily they nap a lot LOL