Restoration/Repairs on a 10" LD Utilathe - Standard Modern

Brent H

Ultra Member
Woo Hoo - crazy day in the shop - lots on the go !

finished off the new cross slide screw for the lathe - a few flats on the mill and a #0 taper pin teamed hole and good to go. Some set up pics for @David_R8 I used the square block ER 32 holder with a 9/16 collet to hold the shaft.
659EB020-997C-4281-B3C3-DCFCFD329972.jpeg
New shaft on the bottom with the layout dye. Threaded 9/16- 8 ACME

55A856BD-8860-4763-9BCB-CB14C3D66C36.jpeg
DF19CDAB-3C46-498F-9925-B03CA264E7BE.jpeg
B84BD508-65ED-4393-934C-14AE01F2A184.jpeg
So after drilling the hole I thought I would take a pic of the various sizes of drill chucks floating around the shop :

E12A9F36-DD2B-462C-B3B9-B36D8EDFC7AB.jpeg
The new cross feed screw came out great!

85FD9469-601C-49F4-8ED8-4F744302B0D4.jpeg
Fit up was great and about 4 thou back lash Another job done - then it was time to make some gears ....

Brent H

Ultra Member
So for gearing - I have a way too big 12” rotary table fitted with an 8” chuck. Should look for an 8 or 10 bit it works! First gear up is the bronze 25 tooth gear. I have 3 of these - some practice ones just in case.
Set up was pretty straight forward and I lined the cutter up on centre. The dividing plate chosen has a 30 hole pattern and That works out to 3 turns plus 18 holes on a 90 turn/ rev rotary table.

I set the cutter to take a full 0.135” depth of cut and had at it - cut, rotate then cut

C26B1C61-20F4-4C03-BE50-AAEA8AB8A735.jpeg D7CC6446-9625-40A7-8A16-5CC5FA0EEB9E.jpeg 9289B5C4-A6B0-4A0D-B537-E85EDDE9806C.jpeg
So cool!!!

worked like a charm. Some cutters on Covid delay for a couple cast iron ones but will get another 3 or 4 made and then lathe is pretty much set!
@Marc Moreau pm me your address and I will mail you one of the bronze gears.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
So turning an ACME thread amounts to nothing more than using a tool with the correct profile?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHobbyMachinist - for the most part - yes! There is some additional pucker factor cutting the left hand ones as things are going backwards and the internal ones are a little added sweat. Biggest thing is that the cut profile takes some power as you are hogging out a trapezoid and not a triangle.

I bought some carbide cutters - but modified the 8tpi one as it was a right handed cutter and was trimming a bit early.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great work Brent.

Biggest thing is that the cut profile takes some power as you are hogging out a trapezoid and not a triangle.

You could always use a 60* thread cutter to take most of the material out. Then switch to the ACME for the finish. Reduces power requirements and saves the ACME tool.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Gear making was going along quite well until what I thought might be an issue did me in .... alas....

my holder for the cutters has a #2 Morse taper and I have it fit into a #2 to 30 taper adaptor. On my second cast iron gear (a 40 tooth) the cutter arbor spun- crap. That left me a fudged up gear. 313D0605-BF0F-4CF1-80A4-46D726D47150.jpeg
So the plan will be to “fix” the taper to a round profile and perhaps make a 30 taper to 18 mm gear cutter holder.
With that gear buying the farm I couldn’t finish off the inner gears and I needed the lathe so I put in my new bronze gear and new drive shaft and the old lathe is back in business!!

I will cut the remaining gears when some cutters come in and I also need to turn a few Blanks for the Cincinnati tool grinder repair.

Dutchmann64

So a few weeks ago I purchased a 10' LD Standard Modern Utilathe serial number U530. The serial number is a bit like a submarine so I hope this project stays afloat and the lathe doesn't become a dive site somewhere. I have not had much time to do anything with it, basically get it home to the shop and leave for work and so far I have been vicariously making plans and some parts by texting my son and getting him to send me pictures.

Research through all the Standard Modern sites and you tube videos has proven to be somewhat beneficial, however, the 10" Utilathe seems to be somewhat lacking of any accurate detailed description. I have the manual for the 12 x 30 and it has reference to the 10 x 20 - some specifics in the parts section and a few measurements.

If all goes as per plan, I hope to create my own manual for the unit with accurate description and proper parts - with sources. So far I have been able to track down the Gits Oil cups and have those ordered and on the way and I have gone through the bearings (according to the manual) and have been able to find the Oilite bushings, needle bearings, and the SKF roller bearings.

If anyone out there has worked on this particular model, perhaps they can let me know if the bearing list in the manual is accurate - is the Timkin 18720&18790 the "as fitted" bearing/race or is it different - the 12 x 30 is listed with a threaded spindle where as the 10" I have has a D1-3 . Also there is a bearing fitted to the change gearbox upper shaft listed as a 6202-ZZ but this is crossed out and someone penciled in 3204....hmmmm

I am also converting (very slowly) some of the drawings of the 1120 1324 models into autocad so I can possibly machine a few of the parts that are the same. Bigger projects will include making a taper attachment, steady rest and other items :)

So far I have made up a new cast Iron 2 step drive pulley for the unit and will getting the original 1 hp, 220 volt 3 phase motor cleaned up and ready for action.

I am planning to use a VFD to convert the shop power for 3 phase. I have one on my mill and it works great. The VFD is a 3 Hp rated one so I should also be able to program the ramping to allow for some dynamic breaking when stopping the motor.

There is some minor damage at the face of the compound - will try a repair there and I will be making a new cast iron gib for the cross feed (brass one fitted right now).

If anyone has any advice/knowledge/documentation/parts It would be great!

Here is a couple pictures as set into the shop - nothing done at all

View attachment 5339

View attachment 5340View attachment 5341
Good morning,
I was searching for information on the same lathe and came across your forum. Just signed up. I have a copy of the manual from Racer Machine in Camebridge Ontario. They were very helpful. The guy told me this lathe was not made in 50 years!! Made me smile. The lathe we have came from our local high school and I can remember learing to thread on it many years ago. My son went to the same school and was asked if he wanted it as they were going to remove it. So long story short we have the lathe.
Hi Brent, have you tried to contact SM to get an electronic manual from them? I have had good success in the past. Just give them the serial number and they should usually be able to send you documents for your specific model and even give you possibly the year of manufacture/shipping year to the first owner of the lathe.

I used to own a 9” Utilathe.

Now I have a SM1120 and a SM1340. The bearings listed in the parts section of the 1340 manual has been accurate.

I completely disassembled and reassembled these three lathes to get years of grime off them in order to bring them back to life. The 9” Utilathe has since been beautifully restored by its current owner.
So a few weeks ago I purchased a 10' LD Standard Modern Utilathe serial number U530. The serial number is a bit like a submarine so I hope this project stays afloat and the lathe doesn't become a dive site somewhere. I have not had much time to do anything with it, basically get it home to the shop and leave for work and so far I have been vicariously making plans and some parts by texting my son and getting him to send me pictures.

Research through all the Standard Modern sites and you tube videos has proven to be somewhat beneficial, however, the 10" Utilathe seems to be somewhat lacking of any accurate detailed description. I have the manual for the 12 x 30 and it has reference to the 10 x 20 - some specifics in the parts section and a few measurements.

If all goes as per plan, I hope to create my own manual for the unit with accurate description and proper parts - with sources. So far I have been able to track down the Gits Oil cups and have those ordered and on the way and I have gone through the bearings (according to the manual) and have been able to find the Oilite bushings, needle bearings, and the SKF roller bearings.

If anyone out there has worked on this particular model, perhaps they can let me know if the bearing list in the manual is accurate - is the Timkin 18720&18790 the "as fitted" bearing/race or is it different - the 12 x 30 is listed with a threaded spindle where as the 10" I have has a D1-3 . Also there is a bearing fitted to the change gearbox upper shaft listed as a 6202-ZZ but this is crossed out and someone penciled in 3204....hmmmm

I am also converting (very slowly) some of the drawings of the 1120 1324 models into autocad so I can possibly machine a few of the parts that are the same. Bigger projects will include making a taper attachment, steady rest and other items :)

So far I have made up a new cast Iron 2 step drive pulley for the unit and will getting the original 1 hp, 220 volt 3 phase motor cleaned up and ready for action.

I am planning to use a VFD to convert the shop power for 3 phase. I have one on my mill and it works great. The VFD is a 3 Hp rated one so I should also be able to program the ramping to allow for some dynamic breaking when stopping the motor.

There is some minor damage at the face of the compound - will try a repair there and I will be making a new cast iron gib for the cross feed (brass one fitted right now).

If anyone has any advice/knowledge/documentation/parts It would be great!

Here is a couple pictures as set into the shop - nothing done at all

View attachment 5339

View attachment 5340View attachment 5341
Good morning,
Just found this forum while searching up the same machine. My son was gifted the lathe from our local high school machine shop. It was one of 13 that were once used to teach students the fine art of machining ( my self included ) many years ago. I was able to get a PDF of the manual and will up load later. I need to create smaller files.

Attachments

• IMG_6931.jpg
    IMG_6931.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6932.jpg
    IMG_6932.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6933.jpg
    IMG_6933.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0

Brent H

Ultra Member
That is awesome!!!! Do you have all the parts? The cross feed and compound and tail stock etc?

I have mine running super great after lots of new part fabrication as you can see throughout the thread. They are great machines and lots of power in a small package.

getting gifted the lathe is so amazing!!! WOW!!

Have a read through the thread and ask any questions - Welcome to the best forum going - lots of smart folks here!

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
Good morning,
I was searching for information on the same lathe and came across your forum. Just signed up. I have a copy of the manual from Racer Machine in Camebridge Ontario. They were very helpful. The guy told me this lathe was not made in 50 years!! Made me smile. The lathe we have came from our local high school and I can remember learing to thread on it many years ago. My son went to the same school and was asked if he wanted it as they were going to remove it. So long story short we have the lathe.

Good morning,
Just found this forum while searching up the same machine. My son was gifted the lathe from our local high school machine shop. It was one of 13 that were once used to teach students the fine art of machining ( my self included ) many years ago. I was able to get a PDF of the manual and will up load later. I need to create smaller files.
Exactly the same I have.

Dutchmann64

That is awesome!!!! Do you have all the parts? The cross feed and compound and tail stock etc?

I have mine running super great after lots of new part fabrication as you can see throughout the thread. They are great machines and lots of power in a small package.

getting gifted the lathe is so amazing!!! WOW!!

Have a read through the thread and ask any questions - Welcome to the best forum going - lots of smart folks here!

Yes it has brought back some good memories;....glad my son was given the opportunity. When I has in highschool back in the late 70's I was given the chance to earn extra creditis and teach the younger kids how to run the lathe;...basic set-up with four jaw chuck , turning and threading. You get the picture!! Very cool to have that history . I have attached a copy of the Operators Handbook and part list. Hope this is helpful as it is quite rare. Have a great day.
Dutch

Attachments

• 10in UTILATHE INDES.pdf
    706.8 KB · Views: 0
  • page 1 thru 4.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • page 5 thru 8.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • page 9 thru 12.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • page 13 thru 15.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Brent H

Ultra Member
That is amazing!

if you have any extra steady or follow rests I would be very interested. So far I have made all the parts I was missing or re-made parts to new standards. I am currently making gears for the inner workings.

I made up a compilation manual amalgamating manuals from the 11 and 13 as some parts of the 10 and 12 transitioned as the machines were produced later in time. Mostly the parts manual will help with identifying things. I have received parts quotes back from Racer and they are quite high. Justified buying the tooling to build them myself. - LOL. It is nice that they will still support the product.

I believe the manual you put up (yes it is downloadable and legible ) pre-dates the merger of Standard and Modern as a company. This being indicated by the “MODERN” cast into the headstock. Your and my lathes have the orange “standard modern” plate fitted - what is your serial number?

Dutchmann64

Sorry;....no spares at this time;.....I will check and update on SRN later today. I have a name plate ;..see picture.

Attachments

• IMG_6948.jpg
    IMG_6948.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 0

Brent H

Ultra Member
Yes,

AR Williams was the distributer used when the British company bought out Standard and modern and combined them. I have the same plate. My lathe is using a 1 HP motor - I think it is original to the machine and would have been an “option”. Reason I believe it is original is that I peeled the same design of motor off a similar circa 9” Utilathe.

Here is mine:

C2130BF6-D1D3-4A62-B46A-2238A7FCD972.jpeg

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
Yes,

AR Williams was the distributer used when the British company bought out Standard and modern and combined them. I have the same plate. My lathe is using a 1 HP motor - I think it is original to the machine and would have been an “option”. Reason I believe it is original is that I peeled the same design of motor off a similar circa 9” Utilathe.

Here is mine:

View attachment 10116