• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Quick survey on Foundries

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I have a "gentleman's" foundry lol, I thought to call it that because its in the basement so compared to the guys with roaring big oil and gas fired furnaces in the backyard its rather diminutive, prim and proper. (I have riged ventilation as some melts can omit same nasties) Everything is investment cast using either wax, 3D resin or 3D filament patterns, nothing much bigger than your fist. The set up is a 3kg electric melter, burn out oven and a vacuum caster. I've cast AL, silver and bronze.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
In case anyone is interested in the mixing of 3D print technologies with green sand core based casting here is what I'm trying to make:
TSlot-Faceplate.jpg
I thought it would be interesting to make T-Slot cores so I 3D printed the core box.
TSlot-CoreBox.jpg

Now the core mixture gets packed into this and then the core box is split and the compressed part laid on a metal plate destined for baking in the oven.
TSlot-Cores.jpg

One baked. Three yet to hit the oven. To avoid having to drill a hole and since the pattern (unfinished here) has a hole in the center I need a core for it too.
BlankWithEars.jpg
I still had the core box from the Gingery Lathe TailStock:
Core0.625.jpg
So I made a short core and baked that too. The cast aluminum core holder was to help keep the core round in the oven.

I've yet to put glossy paint on the pattern and although the primed version pulled nicely from sand I think I have possibly made the draft backwards on the cores.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I just hate taking a nice piece of 3” round and turning 70% of it into swarf. Depending on how precise your pattern is this can drop to 10% swarf.
One of the more satisfying things is if you decide to change your design or screwed up when machining, you just remelt and start over.
Ditto.

Take my pattern for making levelling feet. I can make 4 of them in an hour that need 5 mines of cleanup. Minimum swarf. Plus, you can easily cast a rough version of something that would be timely in cnc