Peerless Shaper Basement Install

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Some pics from the southbend, I have replaced the clapper box

952b9218fea865f662692ff5ef7738da.jpg

Here is the clapper
5e234c08bc5b5718079386d580c83067.jpg

And on the big shaper, the boring bars I got with it were all homemade, and welded solid

6c78ea89dc58dbcb38e8f248e818d084.jpg

The clapper on the big shaper had a hole for a locking bolt on the clapper but the casting was blown out on the clapper box
8e219dd8ae4d14dbb39ae9607ca94ee6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
I don’t like my south end setup, I’ll be making solid (welded) boring blocks for it too for rigidity

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Added an ESD to the shaper today...…

ESD.JPG

Could no longer use this NC switch for the mill so I repurposed it on the shaper.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Changed out the casters on my shaper stand with HD industrial leveling casters today......

ChainFall.JPG

Man these chain falls are the cats a.s for lifting stuff. I was so impressed with the one @Tom O lent me that I picked up a 1 ton at PA on sale for $50. They are in the current flyer.

New.JPG

This is what the new casters look like. Way way better than what was on it. Put the levelers down and she's rock solid now.

Old.JPG

These are what I replaced. They have some play in the swivel bearing so even with the swivel and wheels locked there was some rocking.

Last edited:

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Ok. I have a beam in my garage that supports the exterior wall of the house above. I want to talk to a structural engineer about if I can attach something to it, at some point. Was just wondering how you had done it.

Thanks.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Changed out the casters on my shaper stand with HD industrial leveling casters today......

View attachment 14843

Man these chain falls are the cats a.s for lifting stuff. I was so impressed with the one @Tom O lent that me I picked up a 1 ton at PA on sale for $50. They are in the current flyer.

View attachment 14844

This is what the new casters look like. Way way better than what was on it. Put the levelers down and she's rock solid now.

View attachment 14845

These are what I replaced. They have some play in the swivel bearing so even with the swivel and wheels locked there was some rocking.

Smart move Craig really great add on!

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Ok. I have a beam in my garage that supports the exterior wall of the house above. I want to talk to a structural engineer about if I can attach something to it, at some point. Was just wondering how you had done it.

Thanks.

If u watch enough YouTube you’ll realize we have a safety factor of 50 built into our North American thinking.

Just watch videos from Taiwan or Vietnam , those guys will suspend 3 ton from anything that can support the rope

Seriously though, beams are one thing , roof trusses are another. I used to throw 2x6s across trusses in the attic until I measured the deflection...... I no longer do so

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
To make a beam to lift things vs lifting on the trusses alone (span multiple trusses)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@kevin.decelles I am about to do something similar, but my load spreading is being carefully engineered. I only want 450 lbs max load anyway, and I am only allowing .067 deflection anywhere in the system...

My initial test with my 475 lb compressor on 2 trusses yielded less than .080 deflection, so I'm sure I'm on the right track.

-- built up beams are way better!