• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Parker Majestic refurb

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Probably just paranoid that it would rust.

I won't machine until 1am and leave the shop without cleaning up any liquid either -- same paranoia.

I use a soluble oil solution, as well as the 'kool-mist' stuff. I have had very very minor rust but suspect it was not mixed sufficiently strong.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm a fan of the spritzer technique. Doesn't work for a SG... Low flow pump with a nozzle directed at the work. the lower the flow, the better....

francist

Super User
A parts washer pump would be ideal!
It may, but you might want to pay attention to what they’re rated for pumping — either aqueous or solvent-based solutions. Some may work with both but not all, and I’ll always remember my old burner mechanic pal warning me to never use an oil-rated pump for water (or biodiesel) solutions. He said the seals weren’t compatible and it’d kill the pump right quick.

-frank

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
It may, but you might want to pay attention to what they’re rated for pumping — either aqueous or solvent-based solutions. Some may work with both but not all, and I’ll always remember my old burner mechanic pal warning me to never use an oil-rated pump for water (or biodiesel) solutions. He said the seals weren’t compatible and it’d kill the pump right quick.

-frank

Thanks Frank, that’s sage advice. If I go the synthetic route I wonder if that qualifies as aqueous?

francist

Super User
Good question, I don’t know. Some of the mixes and combinations that are around now can be quite interesting though and just because it’s water borne doesn’t necessarily mean it’s water based. Hybrid floor finish is one example that comes to mind — easy water cleanup but it’ll shrivel a foam paint roller down to the size of a peanut in a matter of minutes. Pretty impressive, really.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Good question, I don’t know. Some of the mixes and combinations that are around now can be quite interesting though and just because it’s water borne doesn’t necessarily mean it’s water based. Hybrid floor finish is one example that comes to mind — easy water cleanup but it’ll shrivel a foam paint roller down to the size of a peanut in a matter of minutes. Pretty impressive, really.

Nope, never happened to me. Not once. :D

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Me either,,,,,I'd never do anything silly,,, lol.
I was thinking the same about the pump innards being affected by the the different fluids. Even the pump on my tile saw would probably be to much. The pump out of one of those little zen water fountains would could be enough if compatible with the coolant fluid.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Tried grinding the same piece again.
Slower feed and lighter cut.
Made a difference.
c8ebf932ec48095b61bb3f2f09dbaddd.jpg

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Dressed the wheel with my new diamond dresser.
Slowish passes, .050 step over.
Big difference! This one is glass smooth.
0675c95a77c1983462039407af1a77fb.jpg

This is with an undressed wheel. I can feel the ridges on this one.
acf3f148765ecc94cba62ec12b2ec34f.jpg