• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Parker Majestic refurb

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I thought I’d start a thread to document the general clean up of the Parker Majestic.
I wrestled it into place this morning.
I don’t have any in progress pics as I was too busy trying to keep it blocked amd level.
Edit: I used my 2-ton engine hoist to lift and position the machine.

All in all it went well. I used two 10’ long straps each rated for 2600lbs in cradle configuration (12 footers would have been better) and ran a chain rated for 5 tons through the loops of the straps and connected the ends with a 2 ton connector.

The hook was just above the spindle so I had clearance to the beam in my shop.
Once the hoist was bearing the weight I pushed and turned it into place.
Went well actually.
0fa013f716fc5d9e6c367e99296c3168.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Took some time tonight to start cleaning up the P-M.
Pulled the chuck so I could see the condition of the bed. It looks awful but it’s just dried oil.
1607489049438.png
1607489085622.png
The chuck has a funky actuation shaft so I wanted to investigate that and take pictures for the Walker folks so they can ID what’s required for a proper handle.
1607489132822.png
The chuck came apart very easily. The inside is coated in petrified grease.
There’s virtually no wear on the internals or the lever, the fit on the stub on the chuck and the pin on the shaft is nice and snug. Just need to figure out how to remove the heaps of goo.
1607489237314.png
1607489256847.png
1607489276674.png
1607489294501.png
Also pulled the table stops and middle limit thing (no idea what it’s actual name is), gave it a good wire brushing and vacuuming.
I don't plan on repainting it but this top surface will get painted so it's easier to clean.
1607489363222.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This is going to be fun to watch. Do you have any parts/manual documentation to reference as you dismantle?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
This is going to be fun to watch. Do you have any parts/manual documentation to reference as you dismantle?
Parker Majestic sent me a copy of the service and parts manual. It's not a huge benefit as there are no disassembly instructions just some random cross section line drawings. For example, I have no idea how to remove the table. I know that it's a controlled by steel tapes but no idea how it's arranged.

francist

Super User
know that it's a controlled by steel tapes but no idea how it's arranged.

Must be like one of the old-style cable drafting machines that uses a continuous loop to pull the one side as you push on the other. It will be interesting to see the guts.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Must be like one of the old-style cable drafting machines that uses a continuous loop to pull the one side as you push on the other. It will be interesting to see the guts.
Indeed. I expect it is something like that.
There's precious little information about these machines. B & S, and Harig seem to be the most common even though Parker Majestic is hailed as a 'Cadillac' of grinders.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I heard from the Walker chuck folks today.
The chuck has somewhat mysterious provenance. The block on the side must be a shop-made addition as is the square actuation drive.
Advice is to clean all the goo out of the inside but to not separate the magnetic pack due to the risk of injury and damage to the components.
.25" of 90w gear oil is to be added to the base.
I'll have to either make a handle or re-make the square drive because it's a wobble-fest now.
One minor question...how do I measure a hole to size a roll pin?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Perhaps the original folding handle interfered with the table edges - so they took it off and made an extension and just used a square drive handle they had kicking around?

A5236FA3-172B-4D60-8028-2DB51A0CEDC1.png

the folding handle on my mag chuck is a really tight fit with the table.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Perhaps the original folding handle interfered with the table edges - so they took it off and made an extension and just used a square drive handle they had kicking around?

View attachment 12119

the folding handle on my mag chuck is a really tight fit with the table.
That's a possibility. The odd thing is that the handle in the middle of the chuck. I've not seen another like it.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The handle location does look factory, no? Ah, so Walker is not entirely sure about the location of the handle.... I wonder if someone just used a Walker label on a “no-name” chuck?

Once it is all clean and functioning, then it really does not matter.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That handle attachment looks even bigger that the newer, flex handle ones. Maybe it came off (and the extension built) as soon as the chuck was installed as it never really fit the table properly.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That handle attachment looks even bigger that the newer, flex handle ones. Maybe it came off (and the extension built) as soon as the chuck was installed as it never really fit the table properly.

That’s a very good assumption I think.
I may just make a new one and use a wrench. Seems like a pretty easy solution.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yup.
The rectangular block and the square drive thing are not original.
Underneath the square drive there is this round shaft and similar circular wear pattern which I suspect is from the original lever.
728d8d4164fa93e6753b6e3ea727eb51.jpg

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That is good detective work @David_R8. I bet it got sloppy over time and they improved it by adding the rectangular bushing bolted to the outside. I would agree with you that making a new, better fitting bushing and using a square drive will work just fine.