• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Our Motorcycles - Post What You Got

Do any of those Companies actually have a clear lineage back to their namesakes? Or are they like the likes of Triumph, Norton, or Indian (or South Bend Lathes, for that matter), where they are simply the result of trying to cash in on a bought name?
Honestly, I kinda respect Enfield India a bit, as they actually bought and carried off, the entire Enfi4eld factory, and carried on making the same technology level, right up until they couldn't any more, and upgraded, if grudgingly! 🙂

KTM Group kept buying up smaller outfits, yet not learning anything from what they had acquired. Kinda hard to feel bad about that...
Triumph absolutely traces its lineage back to the original company.
IMG_1801.png
 
Last edited:
IMO - trevj you are getting close to the edge (language and comments) of what’s acceptable on this Forum
 
Triumph absolutely traces its lineage back to the original company.
View attachment 54700
So, essentially, Triumph, as a modern "Brand" has about exactly as much of a lineage, as South Bend (now Grizzly) does as a machine tool.

Just another outfit that bought the name, and cashed in on it. "bought the name and Manufacturing rights", is not the same as being the Company that built the Brand! The Company died. Someone came along and bought the supposed 'rights' to use the same name. Not even close to being the same as a continuous history!

While I respect that the outfit that bought the entire Enfield Line and moved it's production to India, kept it's production (at least for a while) oriented towards the same product that the line originally produced, it is still always going to be Enfield India, rather than "Royal Enfield".
 
Last edited:
I just put a $500 deposit on this:
fxrwd.jpeg
A 1995 Dyna Wide Glide. Other than the Corbin seat it looks to be mostly original with 27800 miles on it. Like any 30 year old motorcycle its bound to have some issues. Its winter in Canada's north and it will be four to five months before the motorcycles will be on the road again. I needed a winter project. Check the date and condition of the tires replace if required. Remove the carb and clean it. Inspect the drive belt replace all the fluids lube the wheel bearings and what ever else I find.

Soon to be three bikes in the shop now.

2017 KLR650
2018 DL1000
1995 Harley
 
Little late to the party, but then my bike is also a little.

1982 Yamaha SR 185. Badging said 250 when I got it, but the side covers must have come off a different bike.

It was in really bad shape when I got it. (for free) I did a frame up restoration on it, and it ran like a top for 10 years. Even took it not he highway a couple of times, but all she could do to make 60 mph. Passed it onto a new rider. Then I went from a bike big enough for one and exposed to the rains on the Island, to a 370Z with room for 2 and a roof.

1766186937245.png

(EXACTLY like my bike, but I can't find a photo of my actual bike. On a disk somewhere)
 
The new bike was delivered this morning. I am amazed at the condition its in for 31 years old. There is a plackard on the frame that says it was manufactured on 01/95. I'm going to replace all the fluids and the carb needs a good cleaning.
IMG_3713.JPG
 
I spent the last few evenings going over the new bike and changing the fluids. I tightened all the spokes last night.
I found a new take off seat and a pair of OEM mufflers for it that are in excellent condition for not a lot of money. The drive belt looks like new. There is some damage to the chrome on the right mirror, I found a like new replacement mirror on Ebay for $44 US. The carb kit should be here early next week. Once that's done I am going to apply for collector plates for it. I was expecting more of a project but I'm not finding much wrong with it.
 
Congrats, good looking machine.

How are the rubber hoses? 30+ years, the rubber inside any stainless jackets could be degraded as well.
 
The new bike was delivered this morning. I am amazed at the condition its in for 31 years old. There is a plackard on the frame that says it was manufactured on 01/95. I'm going to replace all the fluids and the carb needs a good cleaning.
View attachment 77251
I'm not a fan of Harley's in general. This one however looks great. I really like it. The looks reminds me of bikes from an earlier time.
 
I'm not a fan of Harley's in general. This one however looks great. I really like it. The looks reminds me of bikes from an earlier time.
The Wide Glides always had classic, retro lines. I looked long & hard at a good used '83 years ago. Decided against it. Other priorities.
 
The Wide Glides always had classic, retro lines. I looked long & hard at a good used '83 years ago. Decided against it. Other priorities.
If I could get any Harley I wanted it would the one a friends father had. There were a few war Harleys in my home town. They sold them off right after WW2 and my home town had both an Army and Airforce base. His dad rode that bike up until the 1990's. I don't know what happened to the bike after he passed away.
 
I remember that uncomfortable looking seat.
Years ago an acquaintance owned one. He rode it to one of the local watering holes, got a snootful & didn't want to ride it home. I'd just arrived & he asked me it I'd take it home for him. It was a short ride across town. I'd never ridden a jockey shift before & jumped at the opportunity.

Long story longer, he had the big ol' saddle on his sled. On such a short ride on city streets & speed limits I couldn't get a real feel for the comfort factor, but it wasn't terrible. Front of the seat pivoted, there was a spring under the seat post (rigid rear suspension) and there was a helluva lot more butt coverage than on the '74 Sportster I owned at the time.
 
I received the letter from the insurance company saying that the collector status was approved and plate was sent to the insurance company I deal with. I insured it till November 1st. I got out for a ride on it a few minutes ago. Its 8* and there is sand all over the roads and it was threatening to rain.
I'm impressed it has more power than I expected and it runs really nice. The forward controls will take some getting used to as well as the handlebar controls.
It has self cancelling signal lights, they shut off as soon as you start to accelerate. Why don't all motorcycle have self cancelling signal lights? If Harley could do it in 1995?
hd.jpg
 
I received the letter from the insurance company saying that the collector status was approved and plate was sent to the insurance company I deal with. I insured it till November 1st. I got out for a ride on it a few minutes ago. Its 8* and there is sand all over the roads and it was threatening to rain.
I'm impressed it has more power than I expected and it runs really nice. The forward controls will take some getting used to as well as the handlebar controls.
It has self cancelling signal lights, they shut off as soon as you start to accelerate. Why don't all motorcycle have self cancelling signal lights? If Harley could do it in 1995?
View attachment 79000

How does a bike get collector status and what are the benefits? Is this from the government/plate side or the insurance side?
 
My motorcycle instructor had a 1972 Yamaha with self canceling signals. And my new transalp also has self canceling signals - they are configurable in the dash computer.
 
Back
Top