• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Our Motorcycles - Post What You Got

How does a bike get collector status and what are the benefits? Is this from the government/plate side or the insurance side?
In Sask a collector plate is just a vanity plate telling people you like cars. Just a fundraiser for SGI.
An antique plate has restrictions on mileage and a maximum of 800 bucks insurable payout as well as 200,000 liability. It's cheap but kinda useless in terms of actually insuring a valuable vehicle.
I'm sure it varies from province to province.
 
I looked into it for Ontario and MTO will provide a "historic plate" for an almost all original vehicle over 30 years old. But the usage is narrowed to only car show or maintenance limited activities, so no personal use at all. Insurance (at least mine) will provide a lower quote based on this reduced usage and historic plate.

There's a car meet at my Princess Auto parking lot every summer month and I get how their cars are road legal now.
 
I looked into it for Ontario and MTO will provide a "historic plate" for an almost all original vehicle over 30 years old. But the usage is narrowed to only car show or maintenance limited activities, so no personal use at all. Insurance (at least mine) will provide a lower quote based on this reduced usage and historic plate.

There's a car meet at my Princess Auto parking lot every summer month and I get how their cars are road legal now.
I was just talking to a friend of mine today about this, trying to "nudge" him into at least driving his project to a car show or cruise night
 
I was talking with a friend the other day and she told me that her dad's trail bike was still parked in her mother's garage. It had been forgotten about. She said they dusted it off and tried to start it but the gas in the tank was over forty years old and it would not fire.
Its a 1976 Montesa Cota 247-T it looks to be in good condition for 50 years old.
I believe I will have the opportunity to buy this bike. I would bring it back to life as a winter project. Does anyone here know anything about old Montesa motorcycles?
IMG_6618.jpeg

The speedometer is mounted on the right fork slider. I doubt it is still working it would have a rough life located there.
speedo.jpeg
 
I was talking with a friend the other day and she told me that her dad's trail bike was still parked in her mother's garage. It had been forgotten about. She said they dusted it off and tried to start it but the gas in the tank was over forty years old and it would not fire.
Its a 1976 Montesa Cota 247-T it looks to be in good condition for 50 years old.
I believe I will have the opportunity to buy this bike. I would bring it back to life as a winter project. Does anyone here know anything about old Montesa motorcycles?
View attachment 87576

The speedometer is mounted on the right fork slider. I doubt it is still working it would have a rough life located there.
View attachment 87577
Sweet bike. According to various web sources, these bikes are bulletproof. 21hp in a 200lb bike makes for some rapid movement. There is an active Facebook page with 1300 members, Montesa Cota 247 Owners Club
 
I was talking with a friend the other day and she told me that her dad's trail bike was still parked in her mother's garage. It had been forgotten about. She said they dusted it off and tried to start it but the gas in the tank was over forty years old and it would not fire.
Its a 1976 Montesa Cota 247-T it looks to be in good condition for 50 years old.
I believe I will have the opportunity to buy this bike. I would bring it back to life as a winter project. Does anyone here know anything about old Montesa motorcycles?
What a neat bike!
 
Back
Top