• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

New Hobby Machinist in Edmonton

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I got my belts at KMS, https://www.kmstools.com/a-1-2-link-belt-per-foot-134582, I used the "A" size belt as it was left over from another project.
When I'm done for the day I take the tension off the belt as well. I also remove the chuck, put all the controls to neutral and put the cover on but that's just me. I do woodworking as well in the same shop so I try to keep the sawdust of the machines.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Amazon is selling 5' for the price of 3' at KMS. The advantage to buying local is you know what your getting and you can have it now. The link belts are a bit noisier than one piece belts being able to get the size just right without having to buy another belt is so convenient.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’m thinking about swapping out the B size belts on my mill for link belts. I’m fairly confident the originals are what’s on there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The "B" size is what is supposed to be on the SM but I had the smaller belt on hand and it works fine for what I'm doing. I don't seem to lose any grip and I'd rather have the belt slip than break something.
My mill has the "B" belts as well.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I have the red belt from Lee Valley, bought it for my small drill press and then sold it before I ever used the belt. Just bought the 4' length to get the lower price.

I also cover my lathe with a moving blanket as I do woodworking in the same space (garage). If I am not using the lathe for a while I remove the chuck and put on a faceplate (loosely) to protect the threads. I have to work on making a thread on thread protector at some point. Or get one 3D printed. Don't have a printer myself but a friend has one.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I have to work on making a thread on thread protector at some point.
Here's an idea for you, when I was practicing threading I bought a couple of 1 1/2" to 1" plastic plumbing reducers and made a thread protector. The reducer is the perfect size for 1 1/2 internal threads and if you screw up it's cheap to replace.

Attachments

• P1010716.JPG
    P1010716.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 10

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Here's an idea for you, when I was practicing threading I bought a couple of 1 1/2" to 1" plastic plumbing reducers and made a thread protector. The reducer is the perfect size for 1 1/2 internal threads and if you screw up it's cheap to replace.
Great Idea thank you. Maybe I will try some threading over the christmas holidays.

ken holliday

novice - just learning
Hello Everyone,

I just picked up my first metal lathe which is a Standard Modern 9 Utilathe Model A.

I am very happy with it so far and everything seems to work as intended!!

I am brand new to the machining world but have experience in fabricating (welding mostly, Stick, Mig, Tig) and mechanics!

Right now I am giving my new lathe a good once over clean and will going to do head stock oil change / flush here shortly. What else would you guys recommend checking/cleaning while I am at it? This was literally and “barn find”.

I am also diving into the world of feeds and speeds for HSS and Carbide Insert tooling....wow there is a lot to learn =) (Any cheat sheets out there?) I’m sure it will be second nature shortly.

Also, where does everyone buy their metal stock from in Edmonton? - metal super market....?

Does anyone have the same model as me?!

I chose 30w compressor non detergent crank case gear oil. (Closest thing I could find to the recommended “SAE 30”)

Thanks for reading!
Hi from regina, I inherited that same lathe, had zero experience and ma learning by making mistakes, see my latest thread re drive box sticking problem, i never ever took mine apart or did mainainance just now found a need and took time to find handbook online. wish i had tacher here in our queen city

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
LinkBelt.JPG

Ha..... these things do run a bit smoother... Got figure? Amazon - 5' for $36.

Things get even better if I add a link and let the motor rest on the chip tray. What does that tell you?

Last edited: