• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Need Some 8" Round Stock Cut - Calgary

Tom O

Ultra Member
Easy fix I use a magnetic broom with the pull to release handle they work a charm but the always magnetic ones are a pain though. PA has them on sale every once in a while.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Getting close now.....

CISHOE6.JPG

This is where I screwed up last time. I need to open that slot up 3/16" or less. Enough for today.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Now what to do????

CISHOE7.JPG

This is so close to the tolerance I was hoping for that I'm afraid to put it in the mill for one more pass.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Craig- do not put it in the mill - put some 1000 grit on a straight edge or similar and just clean it up - break edges etc and check fits

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Actually check the channel for squareness too. Cast iron shouldn't stress relieve much if any (as in the lips came in a couple thou). But kind of depends on the material, heat aging, material removal profile etc.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I can measure it up tomorrow with the corresponding dimension of the bar it rides on. I screwed up the bolt hole /
It is 0.050” off centre due to not compensating for the edge finder - ugh! Works fine though.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I can measure it up tomorrow with the corresponding dimension of the bar it rides on. I screwed up the bolt hole /
It is 0.050” off centre due to not compensating for the edge finder - ugh! Works fine though.

Should be the same size as my bar. Yours came from a 9" Utilathe. Just curios as neither looks like the image in the manual, which looks to be a casting with machined surfaces.

Brent H

Ultra Member
I took my “block” from a 16” utilathe that had the block at work. Just “guessing” on the scale -but seemed to work well. Will send you off measures

Brent H

Ultra Member
Some dimensions- just with the verniers

00BDCBB3-E333-4472-88A2-486B3F7A5FCF.jpeg

EF6FE59D-582C-4F63-804E-720AB89A5B2C.jpeg

BCE03966-449A-4015-957F-38C703C51696.jpeg

2800A38E-FCC6-47DA-A33C-5D4ADC1D068F.jpeg

9C0D2A5C-6555-4CA7-86B4-23A805B13082.jpeg

DB491B81-40AA-4EFC-9864-01BBF36BE676.jpeg

looks like 1.5 thou clearance on the bar - no movement so may be a bit tighter than that - slides nice.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hahaha!!

about the same.

the bar was pretty rusty when I got it so perhaps some wastage. What width are you looking at?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
My bar appears to be 1.186" wide by 0.693" high. I'm starting to think I don't know how to measure things properly. Neither of those values makes sense even in metric?

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
IIRC, the bar was ground. So if they cast the slider block and machine the U-shape to 1 3/16”(1.1875) and take nominal cold rolled 1 3/16” bar (which would measure a bit oversize) and surface grind the bar, they could end up with a bar width of 1.186” for a nice sliding fit in the block.

Brent H

Ultra Member
There will be some clearance needed once the block is bolted to the cross slide extension- the slot in the block has the side grooves for oil/gunk.

my bar measures 1.374 x 12.000 and 0.694 thick

here are the block dimensions:

CD4FFA58-C367-413A-9F4A-396B4CD6D2D7.jpeg

It is a snug fit under the cross slide extension:

5252DB35-FC28-43AD-B6E1-4D3B6F09C78F.jpeg

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hi Craig, following your thread with lots of interest nice work however, somewhere along the way I missed out on what your project is.

From your latest photos I assume you're making a taper turning attachment for you lathe so you can reproduce tapers?

Thanks for hitting the like button, appreciate that.