• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Need Some 8" Round Stock Cut - Calgary

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have a line on some 8" round cast iron that I need a 2" slice cut from. The piece is 10" long and weighs in at 140 lbs. Might need an engine hoist to unload/load it. If you have the equipment to do this please PM me. Looking to do this mid Sept.

Thanks,

Craig

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Try a machine shop or you could even Call metal supermarket they would probably cut it for a fee.

I was thinking MSM might be an option. I'll have to check what they would charge. I'll need three cuts in order to get a 8" slice down to something 6" wide, then I can do the rest on my bandsaw.

Brent H

Ultra Member
See what it takes to cut that cast iron - our 7" on the ship wouldn't touch it without a lot of force, a special hard material chop saw blade took me 1/2 hour for 2". The boys at the base with the hydraulic "set it and forget it" band saw was the answer.... it is hard stuff to saw.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
See what it takes to cut that cast iron - our 7" on the ship wouldn't touch it without a lot of force, a special hard material chop saw blade took me 1/2 hour for 2". The boys at the base with the hydraulic "set it and forget it" band saw was the answer.... it is hard stuff to saw.

Really??? It drills, taps and machines easy enough.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
MSM doesn't cut externally sourced materials. Suggested FUSE33 Makerspace as a potential option.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This piece of CI is almost the perfect size, and it cut real nice in the bandsaw......

CISHOE1.JPG

I have to knock close to 3/4" off the sides though....

CISHOE2.JPG

Is this a viable option or is it asking for trouble?

Also, what kind of end mill to use for overall shaping? Fly cutter, 2 flt, 4 flt? What size?

I need to take this down to 3-1/4" X 2" X 1-1/8"

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yeah I make a square out of round that way in the band saw but it may be inaccurate - so be very careful - you do not want to mess things up by cutting too much.

If you need large piece cut I also have a large band-saw. Cast cuts very quick and smooth in the band saw - same for milling operations. Main issue is the dirt.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I'd clamp it between the flat ends if you can, much more contact area than the 2 tangent lines of the diameter

I figured the blade would tend to slide/glance away from where you intended the cut to be doing it that way?

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yeah, that's a risk too now that I see how little of the sidewall you are removing. Maybe upright like you have it is better from that perspective as long as it doesn't slip. Choose your poison I guess. I would do some felt pen layout lines so you can judge how the cut is proceeding. And if there is a skinny side, maybe do that one first so you still have material.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I had two bars I wanted flat on two parallel sides one time. I did that sideways cut peter suggested in my saw on the first bar but it was a slow process to get the cut started, but after you get a small slice started the blade will just follow that slot the same as a longitudinal cut.

You have to clamp the piece in the saw then while holding the saw bar up, start the saw. now very slowly manually let the saw down to just lightly start the cut...more or less it just wears a small notch in the work to begin with. It worked but for the second bar I found a much better way to start the cut.
I pinched the bare in the mill vise and just quickly cut two parallel notches down the bar sides with a endmill...now when I clamped it in the saw vise with the notches straight upright, I had a perfect flat spot for the blade to bite in.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You described it well. That's exactly what I've had to do, kind of baby the initial blade entering so it doesn't glance off. The less rigid and/or narrower the blade is, the more chance it can go off track. Upright position might present a better surface for the blade to enter the cut, but there still are no guarantee of drift as it proceeds on the typical little saws. Hence the suggestion for layout lines for insurance.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I certainly found cutting was a lot more reliable, straight, when I upgraded to a saw with a 0.75" wide blade.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I chickened out of the bandsaw approach and went this route......

CISHOE4.JPG

Man.... I have a long ways to go LOL. There is swarf from one end of the shop to the other.

Hmmm.... maybe after I have a rectangular piece roughed out I can employ the saw? This is going to end up being a 1/2" too tall.

Last edited: