Mystery Shaper rejuvenation

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
And more!

Transmission disassembled. The shaft that is sitting on top of the casting is crazy. It has 7 different diameters, is threaded in 3 places and has the gears cut into it..... Needless to say it only goes in one way

IMG_5518.jpeg

Prepping for paint

IMG_5517.jpeg

I'm a disciple of the @Brent H school of painting. To boil it down............ put a 2mm needle in 'er and give 'er hell!

IMG_5520.jpeg

I should mention, I'm not a fanatic on finish.... no bondo/filler on this unit.

The ram silently waiting its turn on the paint bench
IMG_5519.jpeg

deleted_user

Super User
That Sir is one awesome rejuvenation. It is great that you can save this from the scrap heap of time.

I keep a few cheap submersible fountain pumps on hand to pump evaporust continually over oversized items I can't completely get submerged. My pumps even came with fan attachment to fan out the flow for greater coverage. You do lose more to evaporation tho

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That Sir is one awesome rejuvenation. It is great that you can save this from the scrap heap of time.

I keep a few cheap submersible fountain pumps on hand to pump evaporust continually over oversized items I can't completely get submerged. My pumps even came with fan attachment to fan out the flow for greater coverage. You do lose more to evaporation tho

Sounds like a great solution. Can you provide a source for your pump & fan?

Brent H

Ultra Member
Nice job Kevin!! The Russian ghetto Graffiti gang would be proud!!! Looks like you got the correct blend of paint/vodka - excellent!!!

Your Andy Warhol on the back wall is fantastic!! Things are “shaping” up ;)

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
keep a few cheap submersible fountain pumps on hand to pump evaporust continually over oversized items I can't completely get submerged. My pumps even came with fan attachment to fan out the flow for greater coverage. You do lose more to evaporation tho

How well does that work? I never considered a flowing stream........ I may look into that. Thx for the tip!

deleted_user

Super User
Sounds like a great solution. Can you provide a source for your pump & fan?
I can't find the ones I ordered from amazon years ago that had the fan shaped nozzle but this is similar.

Those with a 3D printer can print any shape nozzle they want though. Or just search more on amazon and they should have something good. Just be mindful you dont want tons of flow or head pressure... you want a river of solution not a geyser

deleted_user

Super User
How well does that work? I never considered a flowing stream........ I may look into that. Thx for the tip!
I found that the moving evaporust works better than still, so I started putting a single pump in the tub I used for rust removal, it circulated the solution and seems to make the process go faster.

One day I could not submerge a part totally and I had an aha moment. I attached a length of vinyl tubing onto the pump and affixed the tube to point down onto the part to bath it in solution. I used a heavy old breaker stand with a clip to hold the tube in place and be able to move the placement around every so often.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I can't find the ones I ordered from amazon years ago that had the fan shaped nozzle but this is similar.

Those with a 3D printer can print any shape nozzle they want though. Or just search more on amazon and they should have something good. Just be mindful you dont want tons of flow or head pressure... you want a river of solution not a geyser

Thanks very much for the link.

Wondering about the fan nozzle. Is that like a flat spray?

deleted_user

Super User
Thanks very much for the link.

Wondering about the fan nozzle. Is that like a flat spray?
yes

It looked like this but was injection moulded plastic. It spreads the flow across a wider surface pretty well and when it comes with the pump it's a bonus

51l39uj+lXL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
yes

It looked like this but was injection moulded plastic. It spreads the flow across a wider surface pretty well and when it comes with the pump it's a bonus

Cool looking nozzle on its own merit!

I'm getting the picture I think. This is like one of those pumps for a backyard water garden tub.

I've never used Evaporust but I have a few jobs for it. I was planning to use a tub and a kitchen scrub cloth. But if it works without labour, bonus!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It looked like this but was injection moulded plastic.

I couldn't find anything like that made from plastic but I did find one quite similar on Amazon for $22. Too steep for the purpose. But I think I could probably make that out of brass or copper pipe pressed over a piece of flat stock acting as a mandrel in my shop press. I don't need the fancy spray pattern - just a nice bath.

I also have lots of flat spray nozzles for my field crop sprayer, but they are too small and are designed for high pressure. Maybe that would be ok in an enclosed chamber.....

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
yes

That is a thing of beauty and very “complicated” for what it does.

Look up “hydro shield“ fire nozzle. It does the same thing, only better and is dead simple to make. It consists of a plate at the end of an open hose. Make the distance the plate is from the opening adjustable, regulate the pressure/flow of the liquid in the pipe and you can create just about any pattern you desire. Make the size of plate/hose combo to fit your needs.

We used the hydro shield in our fire department to protect assets (both human and otherwise) against a flame front.

Here is a little video of one hooked up to what looks like a 4” line.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I also have lots of flat spray nozzles for my field crop sprayer, but they are too small and are designed for high pressure. Maybe that would be ok in an enclosed chamber.....

Take an old one and drill out the hole as required. The pressure will drop and the flat plate will control the spray pattern. Dirt cheap (as you already have it) and customizable in a few minutes.

deleted_user

Super User
Cool looking nozzle on its own merit!

I'm getting the picture I think. This is like one of those pumps for a backyard water garden tub.

I've never used Evaporust but I have a few jobs for it. I was planning to use a tub and a kitchen scrub cloth. But if it works without labour, bonus!

What I got was exactly those little container fountain pumps with low head pressure.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Take an old one and drill out the hole as required. The pressure will drop and the flat plate will control the spray pattern. Dirt cheap (as you already have it) and customizable in a few minutes.

Hmmmmm....... Here is a photo of one with a looney beside it....

Be a great test of my new micro drill chuck if that would actually work......

20220126_122712.jpg