• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Mystery Shaper rejuvenation

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I'll be using this thread as documentation of my journey to rejuvenate a shaper that came into my collection this summer. I am using the word rejuvenate vs. restore as my goal is to have it 'functional' vs. having it 'museum' quality. I've come to enjoy the 'natural-cammo' paint job.

This machine came out of an estate where it sat outside (literally) for maybe 10+ years. I paid scrap price for it, and took it as a potential project, or perhaps a lawn ornament if it was roached. Once I had it it in the shop, initial assessment pointed towards this being able to be a functional machine again. It will be an exercise in de-rusting, de-tarring (yes, tar, more on this to come) and re-assembly.

Here are some of the 'before' pics.

IMG_5196.JPEG

IMG_5208.JPEG

IMG_5207.JPEG
IMG_5204.JPEG

Everett

Super User
This will be interesting to follow, mine was beaten and neglected but yours is certainly a taller challenge than mine was. I went for the functional route vs concourse restoration as well. It will be cool seeing chip-slinging pics of these after the pics of teardown, repairs, and coming back together!

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Initial assessment:
Ram is seized (assuming surface rust). Daily doses of AeroKroil penetrating oil was started
Cut/discarded the drive belts (x3).
Pulley on the motor turned pretty freely
Clutch mechanism is seized
Table screw/nut could be turned (barely)
Knee bevel/screen could be turned (barely)
Down feed seized
Clapper box seized
There was oil/sludge in the gearbox, doesn't look like water got in
Yoke is not seized, but is rusted
Bull gear/pinion gear appear to be in good shape
No motor plate on the motor, but is wired for 220V 3phase
Manufacturer tag on motor indicates Odense Denmark
All fasteners are metric

The positive:
It wasn't ever painted pink or red
A forum member (@johnnielsen ) has seen this running before
It isn't hydraulic, we're dealing with simple mechanisms.
All fasteners that I've tried do turn once oiled. Nothing broken yet

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Tar.

Well, rust cleanup is going well, but the Achilles heel of the work is a coating of what we surmise as 'tar' on almost every piece. In some ways it's been good because whatever there is tar on, there is no rust underneath. The downside is that this stuff is thick, and isn't dissolving easily in anything. Varsol/Gas seem to work best, and even that is a multiple step process of soak/wipe/scrape...

Either this machine was susceptible to tar in the work place before it went out to pasture, or it picked it up 'in the pasture' so to speak. It is possible that a roof was tarred in the vicinity.... I recall that the buildings did not have asphalt shingles but had the 'red scallop clay' type roofs. You can see it in the pictures I posted above. The down-feed handle is oblong due to the amount of tar on it.

1637865896660.png

I too will be following along. It looks like a worthy project for sure. It looks to be a fair size, what is it? 24" stroke?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Fun project. Looks like a load of work not necessarily a bad thing tho.

My go to tar remover is gasoline. Ya gotta be careful obviously, but I think it is likely cheaper than most other commercial removers and just as effective in my opinion.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
This shaper shares a lot with my shaper - it looks bigger then mine so maybe it is the 18". Mine is 13" it is prema #2. See images online and see how similar it is. maybe you have #3 / 4.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Disassembly and Derusting - Drive pulley and Clutch

Before:

IMG_5353.JPEG

Assessment: Clutch is seized. Bearings on clutch/pulley need replacing. One of the prawls in the clutch is broken (I suspect this was my error on disassembly)

After pics (clutch)

IMG_5362.JPEG

Assessment: Clutch is in excellent shape (minus the prawl I broke -- second prawl shown in the picture above)

Clutch is a cone drive w/no-media (steel on steel). The prawl is levered against the inner busing to press cones apart.

I need a picture of the drive-pulley (that came out GREAT!)

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Repair: Make new Prawl (actually, make two so we have a spare)

Started with 3/8 piece of steel, machined thickness on CNC mill to 9mm thick.

Etch design, drill hole, band-saw + file for the win.

IMG_5379.jpeg

Assessment:

Original prawls are hardened (confirmed w/file on original)
Interesting design - the shape is not symetrical, and when in use will be rotating at drive RPM rate. The action on the clutch is all manual and the angle of the tapers on the end are at a soft-enough angle to prevent positive locking with the clutch-dogs

TBD: Pictures of the new prawls
TBD: Heat treating of the prawls.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Unseizing of the Ram and Gib

The ram and gib were seized on this machine. I started back in August with a daily spray of AreoKroil and kept this up for about 8 weeks. I would give it a couple of good whacks with a rubber dead blow hammer every day. After 7 weeks, I started to see bubbles and vibration in the oil when I tapped (success!)

with a little pressure she came apart

IMG_5342.JPEG

Picture of the ram, on the floor (upside down)
IMG_5345.JPEG

IMG_5346.JPEG

IMG_5343.JPEG

Assessment:

Well, it could be worse. There was quite a bit of rust on the non-precision side of the gib. The oil-paths in the gib were also full of rust/crud.

To soak the gib I used a piece of 2" PVC with a cap and evaporust

IMG_5347.JPEG

After pics of the GIB

IMG_5359.JPEG

IMG_5361.JPEG

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Derusting the Ram - Resizable coffin needed

In looking at the remaining pieces to derust - I lack a tub and quantity of evaporust to be successful at a full immersion. This is OK as I only want to target the business-surfaces, such as the ways on the Ram, the ways on the base (vertical knee + top). I really only need about 5" of evaporust, but will need to dip/soak the parts which will mean inverting/dipping the base. Cumbersome, but doable.

To avoid making separate boxes/forms for all pieces I went with a hinged design that allows me to resize my box for each piece. For a bladder I'm using standard 6mm vapor barrier.

Here is the coffin:

IMG_5380.JPEG

I didn't hinge the two 'ends', but the size that is hinged can be made smaller as required.

Another pic:
IMG_5381.JPEG

And the dipping candidate (a shout out to my 1-ton gantry crane from PA)

IMG_5382.JPEG

IMG_5383.JPEG

Add evaporust

IMG_5385.JPEG

Cook for 2 days, then flip..... (looking good!)

IMG_5390.jpeg
IMG_5391.jpeg

Last edited: