• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool My most hated tool

Tool

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for Caswell link. I keep forgetting they have a Canadian outlet & lots of goodies.

Interesting for their black oxide they say to mix a water solution as opposed to direct application. The blue solution visibly looks the same as other brands I've tried, but that doesn't mean it is of course. I wonder if its a different (higher) concentration or different application methodology? Who knows, maybe I tried it diluted once upon a time, didn't like the results & reverted to direct swabbing.

gerritv

Gerrit
I use Caswell for black oxide, bought direct since its in Canada. Works great as long as your part is spotless. I generally glass bead blast, wipe/wash with isopropyl, and dump it in the water/chemical mix. I might do it 2-4 times or just leave it in for 5-8 minutes. Both seem to work. Oil promptly once you rinse with water and dry. Any oil or grease will result in uneven blackening. I think all of the brands have that same rule.

gerritv

Gerrit
Not tried with swabbing, so far my parts have fit in a flat container or in the 1l jar that I keep the diluted liquid in. Personally I like the convenience of just submerging. I bought some steam tray inserts at Costco Business Centre, stainless, and a variety of sizes at low cost.

So far done about 20 parts without topping up with concentrate, I think it will last me quite a while at this rate.

If/when my current project is succesful I will post before/after photos.