Tool My most hated tool

Tool

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for Caswell link. I keep forgetting they have a Canadian outlet & lots of goodies.

Interesting for their black oxide they say to mix a water solution as opposed to direct application. The blue solution visibly looks the same as other brands I've tried, but that doesn't mean it is of course. I wonder if its a different (higher) concentration or different application methodology? Who knows, maybe I tried it diluted once upon a time, didn't like the results & reverted to direct swabbing.

gerritv

Gerrit
I use Caswell for black oxide, bought direct since its in Canada. Works great as long as your part is spotless. I generally glass bead blast, wipe/wash with isopropyl, and dump it in the water/chemical mix. I might do it 2-4 times or just leave it in for 5-8 minutes. Both seem to work. Oil promptly once you rinse with water and dry. Any oil or grease will result in uneven blackening. I think all of the brands have that same rule.

gerritv

Gerrit
Not tried with swabbing, so far my parts have fit in a flat container or in the 1l jar that I keep the diluted liquid in. Personally I like the convenience of just submerging. I bought some steam tray inserts at Costco Business Centre, stainless, and a variety of sizes at low cost.

So far done about 20 parts without topping up with concentrate, I think it will last me quite a while at this rate.

If/when my current project is succesful I will post before/after photos.