• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

My first ever lathe is a Myford

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I joined the Forum because I wanted to get a mill. Didn’t need a mill but I thought it would be fun. It took many months, but with a lot of help (from the Forum) I eventually came home with a (1000 lb bench top) RF45 clone that I bought from Modern Tool. I’m very happy with that purchase. :)
After a while I started to think that the mill looked lonely and it needed a lathe to keep it company.
Back to the Forum for advise. Many thanks!
So I zeroed in on getting a 10x22 to a 12x28 - that size should do everything I want and fit into my tight work space. (Please keep in mind that I have never owned a lathe.) Top contenders were either a used North American built machine or doing a trip to Precision Matthews and trailering home one of their offerings.

At the Ontario Meetup I meet Stuart Samuel. We were talking about milling toe clamps and he mentioned that he was getting a new (used 16x40 Taiwan) lathe. I asked what lathe was it replacing and one thing lead to another. A few days ago his 1972 vintage Myford Super 7 was loaded into my trailer.
3D2F3341-FE60-4878-8C4E-39FF27C98DDA.jpeg
Can you see the tear in his eye as he waves goodbye?

It made it home safe and sound (below picture). Note that the motor had been remove and strapped to the stand. This made the lathe light enough that Stuart and I could man handle it into the trailer (yes it is a small lathe).
284C25CF-20A9-4840-ABB6-D4E751DB1048.jpeg

Here’s a pic using my little Kubota to get it slid back onto the stand:
D5ACB9F2-10D2-42B0-976F-C0267A03CEDD.jpeg

I gave it a thorough cleaning and check over. To my untrained eye, it appears to be in good condition with little measurable wear or any damage from abuse.
Here’s the front and side views:
D5264C02-0C95-47F0-A8DE-2925A9377016.jpeg A8950F79-D55D-45F8-8438-58E2238139F4.jpeg 1F49456E-AF9F-40BC-B92A-85BAB6A6DABE.jpeg

Yes this (7x19) is a lot smaller than the 10x22 I had arbitrarily set my sights on.
But WOW - double WOW - it has character.
- Made in England.
- Myford has a big following to call on for advice.
- Extremely capable for its compact size / it is punching way over its weight class.
- Parts and accessories are relatively easy to find and don’t need modifications to fit. (Try that with a 52 year old Chinese lathe)
- 14 spindle speeds (32 to 2500 rpm evenly spaced) enabled by an easy to engage back gear.
- No electronics. Just a simple on/off switch.
- Easy to use clutch. Love it!
- QCGB. Nice. Very nice.
- Belt changes are quick, easy and simple.
- It’s not JD green.

Here’s pics of the QCGB, and the spindle and carriage:
6F95B3A4-2DD4-4DEC-B23D-F83D4C70BCB5.jpeg 8D39A38E-6CD3-45FD-8D8C-1C8D8949744B.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the back side. F235D019-BEFB-4B1E-86C2-17C24857FFC2.jpeg

Here’s the accessories it came with (sitting on the floor in front of the Myford stand):
5FCB6057-06F3-4658-A735-0F83129A0B07.jpeg

A design thing I like, (in pic below) the clips on the cover engage these spring when the cover is closed. Secure and no rattling!
05E0E9AC-F3F0-4C61-8637-3267205A4758.jpeg

Here’s another design thing i really like (pic below) you can use your left hand on the QCGB lever while your right hand (on the lead screw wheel) can easily rotate the gears to make engagement simple. BTW - this wheel is indexed so that you can accurately control horizontal movement.
E040BE43-563A-4CB2-AD6F-8692B4FC0316.jpeg

Love using pictures to make things so easy to explain - as an aside - this Forum supports and allows us to attach pictures so easily- special thanks to J.

Next pic is the change gears. I don’t have metric gears but they are available - note the decal on the door shows gear selection for metric pitches
91D224F9-8BB9-4ED5-A4FB-CD0E23C1CBD0.jpeg

I’ve not made any chips yet.
Still getting acquainted. :)

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
PS - I have to move the work bench to the left and move a few other things to make room for the Myford here in line with the work bench.
6D0280A8-7FDD-4C5B-A978-186356905B5D.jpeg
When I figure out exactly where it fits into my work space - then the stand wheels will be replaced with blocking. The stand will be levelled and the bed will be shimmed to remove twisting so that it cuts with zero taper. (There’s a learning project for me).

Last edited:

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
why the electrical box on the side with the forward-reverse switch on the front?
I asked the same question:
“Main power” supply switch box on the side is more than an on / off switch. Kinda like an e-stop. Example - If there is a power outage and the lathe switch is in fwd and then the power comes back on. The lathe will not start until the “main power” switch has been reset.

Tecnico

(Dave)
I asked the same question:
“Main power” supply switch box on the side is more than an on / off switch. Kinda like an e-stop. Example - If there is a power outage and the lathe switch is in fwd and then the power comes back on. The lathe will not start until the “main power” switch has been reset.

Another welcome to the Myford club! Definitely speak up if there are questions and we’ll try to help. Nice machine & tooling.

Your second switch box sounds like it’s a magnetic switch or similar. You should be able to link the safety circuit into an E-STOP for added safety.

D :cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Can you see the tear in his eye as he waves goodbye?

Poor @Stuart Samuel . The mixed emotions are written all over his face. Must have been difficult to say goodbye. But WAAAAY better to go to a forum member who will love it as much as you did Stuart. Only a short drive down the highway to see it again.

Here’s a pic using my little Kubota to get it slid back onto the stand:

Another guy with a loader tractor! So convenient! Hard to beat for jobs like this. I put bolt-on chain hooks on mine. Best improvement I ever made.

Here’s the front and side views:

It has a tailstock!!! Woohoo!

It’s not JD green.

Nothing a little paint couldn't fix......

IMG_0485 (1).gif

The stand will be levelled and the bed will be shimmed to remove twisting so that it cuts with zero taper. (There’s a learning project for me).

No! First job is a lathe height standard!

Take your time with the alignment. It's too easy to do it wrong.

Don't seal the drip tray sandwich until you know how to best align it. You are lucky I live so far away.......

Nice acquisition @CWret . Mills are so lonely without a nice lathe.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Another guy with a loader tractor!
It was a struggle for Stuart and I to get it onto the back of the trailer, but sliding it forward was easy. At home it was easy to slide into the bucket (on a piece HD cardboard) and then slide onto the stand.
Nothing a little paint couldn't fix...
If it were to get a colour change - I don’t think JD green is on the option list.
Take your time with the alignment. It's too easy to do it wrong.
Yes - I will be asking - we’re miles apart but Forum PMs will narrow that gap. :)

motordr

Congratulations, looks clean, what’s the serial number? I have the same unit. The drip tray is a nice feature to have also. Did you get a taper turning attachment, that’s what I’m still looking for?
There is a Facebook Myford group based here in Ontario. Nice that you have the North American quick change gearbox too. I have an Elliott lathe for my bigger turning projects, but the Myford is so darn handy.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Don't seal the drip tray sandwich until you know how to best align it. You are lucky I live so far away.......

Speaking of sealing the chip tray, pay attention to the seal on the riser block/tray. Even with the original Myford seals (or maybe because of….) mine keeps making a puddle of oil on the shelf below.

I’m going to have to revisit this the next time I find a round tuit. It might also be a proud statement of the machine’s national origins……;)

D :cool: