• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Micro-controller controlled Pneumatic Power Draw Bar

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Math is the answer to life, the universe and everything. At least according to "The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy".
And the question, apparently is "what is 6 x 9?" The implication, then, is that god has 13 fingers.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Anyway back to the draw bar...
Using the Alibre CAD I can create the parts and make sure there isn't any interference.
Then take those parts, remove the holes, change a few dimensions and add taper so it will pull out of the sand for casting.
They are now 3D printed. Next step is sand off the rough parts of the tapered posts. Add filler and primer and make them smooth enough to pull.
Then cast. Each plate is only just a tad thicker than 1/4"

Attachments

• PTB_Assembly.jpg
    PTB_Assembly.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 4
  • RawPatterns.jpg
    RawPatterns.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 4

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Found this video on a tool changer for a PCB drilling operation. It's an upside down version of what I'm trying to do and has other features that don't apply to a draw bar.

But overall the same idea that I'm pursuing now with the stepper motor and planetary drive for tightening/loosening. And like his my plan is to change the amount of current to the stepper motor to change the torque so there is more for loosening and less for tightening.

John

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Yahoo. My tool height setter arrived. Not directly related to the drawbar project but for tool changing those few times where I need to use R8 instead of a TTS holder or if I put a different tool into a TTS holder and need to get the height of that into the LinuxCNC tool table.

ToolHeightSetter-1.jpg

Now to figure out where to wire it.

ToolHeightSetter-2.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Needless to say I almost dropped everything just so I could play with it. Sensitivity is good. The over travel N/C switch opens and could be put in series with the Z travel limit switch.

Here's it sitting on the mill table at the tool change position which is almost at the X and Y limit switches.

If I mount it there permanently I can see it will be constantly in the way. Going to have to figure out some sort of fast attach method.