• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Maker Faire 2015 - Meetup?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey All,

See below attachements, things my designer friend came up with for logo variations that can actually be cut out of steel. (without portions of letters falling out etc.)
There is one more traditional "logo" but the gradients and details in it weren't suitable to a sign, but kept here so you can get a feel for the process the designer went through. (Black and white is due to sign usage too)

There are 5 "logo" type things while we got the bugs worked out about how it would look cut from steel, below showing the order of events from left to right. (I wont go into too much detail)
logo1.jpg logo2.png logo3.png logo4.png logo5.png

For an actual sign, we will likely need some input as to what to include, but my colleague threw together a backup plan sign if we don't get something figured out in time for me.
potential-sign.png
(sorry about the background on this, pretend it's white like the rest)
--> I had requested he avoid a "square" sign, and got this egg shape back, was more hoping for something like this in shape:
2015-09-02_1359.png

@Kris Jensen find an .ai file at:
http://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/logo-sheet-design-3.ai
--> Here are the filetypes I can export to if .ai doesn't work: http://screencast.com/t/1rBFcZlzltA

@Kris Jensen Did you want to try your earlier idea of adding some metal working machines around to come up with an actual "sign" instead of a bunch of boring square text logos?

Anyone else have design skills willing to lend a hand here?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Here is another Sign concept (5X3 Aspect ratio):
sign5x3-flat.png

Looking for input team!

@Kris Jensen what is the latest date we can plan to have this cutout? Just so I know how much time we have to get designs finalized?
Did you have any thoughts?

Anyone else have any input? This a good direction?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Here is another Sign concept (5X3 Aspect ratio):
View attachment 154

Looking for input team!

@Kris Jensen what is the latest date we can plan to have this cutout? Just so I know how much time we have to get designs finalized?
Did you have any thoughts?

Anyone else have any input? This a good direction?

I like the design. Will the swishing dots above the letters look ok with the plasma cutter cut out? Maybe Kris you could cut out a small one to see what it looks like? Perhaps one with the simple text only version and another with the swishing dots. Another possibility is to laser etch with the protospace laser cnc.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I like the design. Will the swishing dots above the letters look ok with the plasma cutter cut out? Maybe Kris you could cut out a small one to see what it looks like? Perhaps one with the simple text only version and another with the swishing dots. Another possibility is to laser etch with the protospace laser cnc.
Good though, Here's a mock-up of the little pieces after they fall out:
filledindots.png

I think it still looks okay, but open to discussion.

Kris Jensen

sorry guys for the delay been really busy, I can have the sign ready Wednesday night if I have the final design by tuesday

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
No worries @Kris Jensen

If no one has any input we'll just love forward with what we have. Let's confirm the design no later than Monday at noon (in case anyone hasn't seen the thread here)

If you're still open to it, I would love to come by when the cutter is running to grab video footage.

Does .AI file type work? I can look into conversion to svd if needed.

JW

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Great seeing you at the walkthrough today @Alexander

@Kris Jensen See a new .AI file at: http://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/logo-sheet-design-4-1.ai
I left some material available in the above design. Hoping you can help me to make a separate sign from the same piece of steel that includes nothing but the forum URL: CanadianHobbyMetalWorkers.com (We have an 8' table, so wide is fine)
--> Should I get an AI of this made too?
-----> Alex helped me to realize that we should have at least one reference to the site URL somewhere, haha.
@Kris Jensen I'm still keen to be present with a video camera when the CNC is running, shoot me a note and we can confirm a time if that's still ok with you?
Also, That mockup looks perfect to me!

Here are my notes from today Alex:
Find egg model: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:789857
Video editing no later than Thursday end of day.
Measure acrylic sheet as backup
Reach out to protospace members X2 (Matt - Acrylic // Jim - aluminum)
Reach out for passes. (Complete, look in your email)
Alex is on hot rolled, will text me if help is needed.
The organizer committed to having finalized details on power before end of day Monday, follow up if needed.
Josh to grab a bunch of 1/2 X 13 nuts (50 or more)

Thought: Should we have different size captive nut projects?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Alex, the poly will be 30"X30". It has a crack down one side that needs to be cleaned up. Will work on it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
2015-09-10 17.35.33.jpg
Styling and profiling.

2015-09-10 16.35.14.jpg
Trucking @Alexander 's lathe to the faire

Modern Tool kindly let us borrow their 4 axis cnc mill
2015-09-10 16.36.29.jpg

Early start tomorrow to get the actual booth setup. Pretty exciting!