• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Maker Faire 2015 - Meetup?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I am glad we have you as an organizer @Jwest7788 you really are taking care of everything your efforts are appreciated. I like the captive nut project so I'll write a program for that. I would like to make a few of these. It
exhaust-turbo-whistle-air-valve.jpg is a novelty whistle that you put into your tailpipe and it makes it sound like you have a turbo charger. If they are worried about hot chips I have programs to manufacture polyurithane bushings for cars. That is a low risk low mess job. I should be making a large batch of those bushings anyways.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
@Alexander I'm happy to help. Frankly, I'm looking forward to participating in the maker faire regardless. :)

They haven't gotten back to be about limitations on chips etc. It's more my concern then theirs at this point.

Would it make sense to have a program or two that is complex and takes awhile to produce, and also have simpler programs for trinkets to sell?

If we plan it right we can have a "show" once or twice during the day (large complex program), and run simpler trinket programs like the captive nut on demand in between?

Do plan out what I owe you for raw materials as we move forward. Not sure how much I can help with programs, but am keen to help beyond planning the event if possible.

Do you feel that an engine hoist and truck is sufficient to move your lathe, or should we be looking into alternative transport?

We still need another set of hands or two to move the lathe I feel, anyone else free that weekend?

Tom O

Ultra Member
Back in the 60's we put a whistle like that in our dads tailpipe right after he did a valve job lol he wasn't too happy and took it probably to use on one of his mates!

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Just lying in bed and had a though. A simple steel egg is another model that should be downloaded pretty readily.

Sent from my iPhone.

Kris Jensen

@Alexander I'm happy to help. Frankly, I'm looking forward to participating in the maker faire regardless. :)

They haven't gotten back to be about limitations on chips etc. It's more my concern then theirs at this point.

Would it make sense to have a program or two that is complex and takes awhile to produce, and also have simpler programs for trinkets to sell?

If we plan it right we can have a "show" once or twice during the day (large complex program), and run simpler trinket programs like the captive nut on demand in between?

Do plan out what I owe you for raw materials as we move forward. Not sure how much I can help with programs, but am keen to help beyond planning the event if possible.

Do you feel that an engine hoist and truck is sufficient to move your lathe, or should we be looking into alternative transport?

We still need another set of hands or two to move the lathe I feel, anyone else free that weekend?
I don't mind lending a hand if you need it

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
@Kris Jensen yes please we need all the help we can get. I think for the maker fair I will borrow a specialty cart to roll my machine in and out of the event. I have access to a truck with a power tailgate so I think that will be easier and safer than the engine hoist, but rngine hoist is plan B. We need to let our contact at maker fair know I need 220v 1ph power for the lathe. It shouldn't be a problem because I have seen CNC machining tellus science center before.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Thanks @Kris Jensen It will be good to have you on board.

I already got a reply back from the event organizer:
Event Oganizer said:
Hi Josh,

First, let me respond to your earlier questions, and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Yes, I can allow you to sell for the purpose of cost recovery plus a little for your Society. I would ask however that the items not be presented in a way that makes it look like a craft fair or vendor booth. A tent-fold sign near the items letting people know they can be purchased to support your organization would be appropriate. Regarding debit machine, that is fine, but I would really prefer no credit card or debit logos. Again, trying to keep the craft fair and trade show feel out of this event.

Regarding safety. Please do find something to protect onlookers from flying metal chips. :) Protospace might be a good group to hit up for a piece of clear scrap acrylic to use as a chip shield.

Also i will need you can fashion something into stanchions to help keep people physically apart from the machines. It doesn’t need to look fancy. No red carpets at this event, but if you can make them stylized in some way that speaks to what your organization is all about then all the better.

For power, there are a few places where I can access 220. Maybe you and I should visit Spark sometime soon to walk around and explore a few placement options. If it works for you I will be there this Saturday around 1:30pm.

-Jason

Event Oganizer said:
I would ask however that the items not be presented in a way that makes it look like a craft fair or vendor booth.
In this regard, I picture having a "display" of several items, a captive nut, steel egg, whatever else we come up with, etc. Showing off "Look what can be done with this machine" with a "want to see this CNC lathe in action? You can purchase any of these models to be produced on demand, just ask!" type thing.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
That's great, just awesome. I am looking forward to this. If you get an idea of how long of a cord I will need on my lathe let me know. It is hard wired to my garage right now but if you take a picture of the receptacle and tell me how long the cord needs to be I will get that ready.

Tom O

Ultra Member
@Kris Jensen yes please we need all the help we can get. I think for the maker fair I will borrow a specialty cart to roll my machine in and out of the event. I have access to a truck with a power tailgate so I think that will be easier and safer than the engine hoist, but rngine hoist is plan B. We need to let our contact at maker fair know I need 220v 1ph power for the lathe. It shouldn't be a problem because I have seen CNC machining tellus science center before.

What is the footprint of your lathe I have a cart big enough to hold the cab of a 52 chev truck cab.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'm thinking about putting together some of the commonly used odds and ends I have lying around (maybe). Things like a couple of end mills, reamers maybe?

Not sure if this type of display is a good idea, or if I'm just liable to end the weekend with missing tools. Thoughts?

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well it would be good to show some things that someone starting out might make also it might be worthwhile pointing them towards protospace or other resources as some may not have the means or space to pursue this hobby. I'm sure they would supply some cards or pamphlet.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey Team, only Three weeks till D-date.

I'm just trying to keep organized with all this:
Transport of @Alexander 's CNC --> Truck with a power tailgate or as backup: Truck with an engine hoist.
--> Cart to move CNC into Faire, @Tom O has a cart, is that good for your @Alexander ?

Crowd Control - @Janger 's handy fence thing! (what are those called?)

Models to be CNC - @Alexander can I help with this process in any way?
Captive nut, Rings, Key-chain dongle (decorative bar thing, Bottle opener (with mini mill usage?) Or this type?, Pens?, A steel egg, Tailpipe whistle, and finally, a complex model that will take awhile to run as a "show".
---> Cost of Materials: What's the plan here? I don't want you to be forced into covering this if you don't want to!

Signage - We get a boring paper sign by default, but the Maker Faire contact let me know that we can put together our own signage. @Kris Jensen could we use your nice new CNC to put something together? Maybe send me a quote for consideration?

@Janger 's idea of looping video - This is good, I want to move forward with it. I can organize a computer and monitor etc. Can everyone help me to gather up footage of us in action?
---> @Kris Jensen if we do end up making a sign, I could come over and film the process, that would be awesome. -- Maybe we could design the sign to have be ornate (i.e. impressive for the crowd, and more video footage)
Footage of the tailpipe whistle would be good too.

Plexiglas shield to reduce risk of chips flying into crowd.

I'll bring my mini mill, as it's light enough for one man to move. Maybe a "display" of end mills, lathe tools, odds and ends, not sure about this portion though.
Let's remember to bring Goggles for ourselves. haha

Pending confirmation:
Proximity of our display to the 220V (how long a cord do we need?)
What type of 220V outlet is used?
Confirmation of the tables they're giving us. (Do we need to bring something sturdier for @Alexander 's CNC?)

Man, feels good to put all the info in one place. Can everyone confirm that I am on the right track with this all? (Never organized anything like this before, so I'm very open to ideas, suggestions, and recommendations.

Thank you all for your help and willingness to participate, none of this is possible without all those involved.

JW

Kris Jensen

Hey Team, only Three weeks till D-date.

I'm just trying to keep organized with all this:
Transport of @Alexander 's CNC --> Truck with a power tailgate or as backup: Truck with an engine hoist.
--> Cart to move CNC into Faire, @Tom O has a cart, is that good for your @Alexander ?

Crowd Control - @Janger 's handy fence thing! (what are those called?)

Models to be CNC - @Alexander can I help with this process in any way?
Captive nut, Rings, Key-chain dongle (decorative bar thing, Bottle opener (with mini mill usage?) Or this type?, Pens?, A steel egg, Tailpipe whistle, and finally, a complex model that will take awhile to run as a "show".
---> Cost of Materials: What's the plan here? I don't want you to be forced into covering this if you don't want to!

Signage - We get a boring paper sign by default, but the Maker Faire contact let me know that we can put together our own signage. @Kris Jensen could we use your nice new CNC to put something together? Maybe send me a quote for consideration?

@Janger 's idea of looping video - This is good, I want to move forward with it. I can organize a computer and monitor etc. Can everyone help me to gather up footage of us in action?
---> @Kris Jensen if we do end up making a sign, I could come over and film the process, that would be awesome. -- Maybe we could design the sign to have be ornate (i.e. impressive for the crowd, and more video footage)
Footage of the tailpipe whistle would be good too.

Plexiglas shield to reduce risk of chips flying into crowd.

I'll bring my mini mill, as it's light enough for one man to move. Maybe a "display" of end mills, lathe tools, odds and ends, not sure about this portion though.
Let's remember to bring Goggles for ourselves. haha

Pending confirmation:
Proximity of our display to the 220V (how long a cord do we need?)
What type of 220V outlet is used?
Confirmation of the tables they're giving us. (Do we need to bring something sturdier for @Alexander 's CNC?)

Man, feels good to put all the info in one place. Can everyone confirm that I am on the right track with this all? (Never organized anything like this before, so I'm very open to ideas, suggestions, and recommendations.

Thank you all for your help and willingness to participate, none of this is possible without all those involved.

JW
I have a 5' x 4' sheet of 16 gauge steel we can use for the sign i will cover the cost ( it will be my contribution to the group ) Just give me some ideas on what to cut out.

Kris Jensen

When I'm ready to cut you can come over and film it and anyone else who wants to come from the group can come too

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Hey! I will start with the biggest problem first, the cost of material. I do not have the money to buy enough material to run this machine steady for 2 days unless I can offset the cost by selling the completed parts. I did reach out to one potential corporate sponsor who I thought may be interested in donating some small bar stock that I can run through my lathe and give away the completed parts with there business card during maker fair. They didn't even respond so ill take that as a no. I am continuing to work on the material issue. If anyone has ideas post them and ill consider the options.

Kris Jensen

How much bar stock would we need and what type? I got access to tons of mild steel but I guess we would want something that wont rust. I also have a business associate who can get a discounted rate from Russell metals.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
@Kris Jensen I really appreciate that, a metal sign will really pull the display together. I'll work on some mockups on my end, but I am definitely open to everyone's contribution on the final design!

For cost of material, I can come up with $100-$200 before the event, depending on "how things go" around the house, and if life doesn't get in the way.

Should we put a primary focus on using cheap hot rolled bar stock from federal metals? It's very inexpensive, but you know, hot rolled. Thoughts?
---> This makes sense to me, as its cheaper to acquire, and will also keep the cost of the trinkets lower. It only comes in 10' lengths, but I can opt to piece it all down to working sizes before then?

Brass is nice, we could invest in some, but I don't imagine we will move too much, considering the price difference. We could buy a little, but sell the trinkets at a premium maybe?

If there are three+ of us at the event, we could always buy a little of everything, and actually send a runner out for more if we run out? (Because then we will have money available from the sales already made?)

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Josh, post your email in a form spammers can't read and we can send you video content.