• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Maker Faire 2015 - Meetup?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Are we doing a demo booth at the mini maker fair to promote the forum? Entry cut off is July 31. I am volunteering my time and equipment if I can get help. Who is interested?

Thanks to Alex for keeping this top of mind, I would've totally forgotten about it.

I'm happy to volunteer my time too, frankly I just like explaining this stuff to people. Is anyone else interested in either volunteering to hangout and talk shop at maker fair? Maybe we could plan to grab a beer after?

Alternative to actually manning the booth, should we set a date and time for anyone who wants to drop in and say high as a mini meetup?

Last edited:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Great thanks for putting this together. We should find out from the event organizers what kind of power hookups we can get.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
@Alexander, our application has been approved. Our contact is working on getting specifics on the tables we'll be using.

Have you put any thought into our display? I've been pondering the idea of having an ongoing project being worked on while we are there.
I get the impression they will have some basic signage for us by default. Not sure if we wanted to organize something else too? (probably a fun project in the mean time!)

What should we plan to bring?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Lathe milling machine welders ha! A bit heavy.... How about a looping video of demos....?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I was thinking my micro mill would be good, as I can lift and move it myself (with quite a bit of effort).

Looping video is a good idea too. Mind you, if we can get the CNC lathe there, we could potentially put together a few different models and produce them on the spot.
Maybe if we model something novel that can be sold, and produce them as purchased on demand? Kinda like, buy a [trinket] and watch it be made too!

Is there a liability issue with letting people play with tools that can rip limbs off? :rolleyes:

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
First off I want to say thanks for completing the application and I'm glad we got approved. I think some sort of live interactive demo is a great idea. During a demo we need 2 people from the form in the booth. One to run the machine and one to do crowd control, otherwise someone could potentially put themselves in harms way. With that said I am willing to bring my little CNC lathe and show people how it all works and what it can make. Moving the cnc isn't something I want to do by myself. It weighs about 450lbs. I can borrow a truck with a power tailgate or something to move it with but I need at least 2 people to help slide it around. I like the idea of people buying a trinket and seeing it come off the machine. Even if they are only paying for the materials that sounds fun.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Agreed. I can bring my truck, it doesn't have a powered tail gate, but I have an engine hoist, as an option.

Also agree about covering cost of supplies with trinkets, maybe enough margin to buy lunch would be good.

Yeah, don't want anyone getting hurt. I'll ask them if they have some of those rope crowd control wall things. Maybe we could use "do not pass this line" tape, or a plexiglass barrier or something.
Actually a barrier might be good regardless.

Any thoughts on a trinket?

Sent from my iPhone.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Well since we are planning on selling stuff I arranged to bring an interac machine. As for trinkits, I think that's going to take some thought and planning. If someone can scetch an idea we will try it. I do plan on bringing my functional steam engine kits in various states of completion for sale at various price levels. We could use another project that can be built on site. But I haven't thought of anything yet.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
We could try simple captive nuts maybe?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438744172.307695.jpg

Rings, Keychain dongle things.

I'll spend some time on thingiverse tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
A pen! An aluminum pen made from 3/8 bar stock. Could have the lathe make pretty bands.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
And I have this for crowd control. 3' high and 5-10' long, adjustable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 5

Tom O

Ultra Member
Will they let you machine there? I'm just wondering about the chips getting tracked about the building.
I belive Kms has pen kits/workings.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I've reached out to the organizers again to confirm their stance on interac machines, flying hot chips, minimum safe area, and table strength.

JW