Looking for a lifetime mill to buy

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I had to google world's largest mill....

DYKmtHi-1.jpg
That has even more on all three axis. only thing it is missing is multiple gantry's, the ability to run several projects at once... Wonder what the rapid speed is ??

My puny little mill with 610 inch X is from this company in Windsor....

Downwindtracker2

YoyaBota's Causing 8520 clone was my Idea of the perfect little mill. Rockwell built one ,too. I was going to check out Grizzly scratch and dent tent sale for one, but I ended up finding a rare used RF-45. The RF-45 takes the same amount of floorspace and has more grunt. Used, it was less than 1/4 the tent sale price. I'm into it for that again with parts and repairs. Still that is less than 1/3 new.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Grizzly's 8x30 is about as close as I can find to the mill I have, not inexpensive either.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Grizzly's 8x30 is about as close as I can find to the mill I have, not inexpensive either.

I believe KBC has (or had a couple of years ago) the equivalent for sale as does BusyBee. I like them (I have the smaller 6x26 version) but think they that are over priced now compared to other alternatives that are available.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Trying to future proof can be a never ending battle, like buying a boat (twofootitis).

Is the bench mill going to do everything you need now and in the future?

Knee mills can be more work to get into the basement but are still manageable in pieces. Taking it apart also lets you inspect all the parts for wear (if buying used).

My older 8x30 KBC is just over 6' tall with the lid open so height shouldn't be an issue and I don't foresee needing anything bigger for what I do. No electronics or no relays just an magnetic on/off switch.

View attachment 30573

The knee on the mill is like having a QCGB on the lathe, once you get one you'll never go back.
Unless you need the mill now I would try and wait for a used machine, you are in the machinery heartland so it shouldn't take to long for something to come around.
Just my 2cents.
Really have to come out one day for a shop tour.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
How about waiting and building a shop/garage before retiring. Wish I had. Relieves a lot of stress with regard to shoe horning stuff into the basement that you know has to be removed eventually. Also, allows the option for acquiring larger machines that you wouldn't consider now.

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
How about waiting and building a shop/garage before retiring. Wish I had. Relieves a lot of stress with regard to shoe horning stuff into the basement that you know has to be removed eventually. Also, allows the option for acquiring larger machines that you wouldn't consider now.
Make sure the door is about 100 inches. and ceiling is 110. Height is a big consideration when you decide to go CNC.

Proxule

Ultra Member

6k usd, OUCH
Back to PM prices...