Looking for a lifetime mill to buy

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If someone would just tell me when my time will be up I'd be able to budget machine purchases better. lol
Ya that would be helpful sometimes wouldn't it? I retired a few years ago and j wish someone would have told me how things would turn out. The market losses mean I either retired 10 years too soon or I need to die 10 years sooner! Ya if I knew my time was coming up in the near future I might have some nicer equipment in my shop. But on the other hand...who wants to know they only have x days left.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I think this machine would be big enough that I would never need to upsize in my life... (except the Z could be taller)..........

Zim-5-vertical.jpg

1676076277700.png

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As @Downwindtracker2 said above - i suggest you have a look at “RF-45 mill/drill done”
Maybe you should up the initial investment if it is to be for life.
Easy for me to spend your $

I spent 5K on my mill and 4K so far on tools & accessories.
I’d have spent the 4K even if i had bought a different mill (likely a PM) - so it makes the initial investment look not as important. Especially if you value putting a grin on your face every time you push the start button.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Trying to future proof can be a never ending battle, like buying a boat (twofootitis).

Is the bench mill going to do everything you need now and in the future?

Knee mills can be more work to get into the basement but are still manageable in pieces. Taking it apart also lets you inspect all the parts for wear (if buying used).

My older 8x30 KBC is just over 6' tall with the lid open so height shouldn't be an issue and I don't foresee needing anything bigger for what I do. No electronics or no relays just an magnetic on/off switch.

P1010571.JPG

The knee on the mill is like having a QCGB on the lathe, once you get one you'll never go back.
Unless you need the mill now I would try and wait for a used machine, you are in the machinery heartland so it shouldn't take to long for something to come around.
Just my 2cents.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Also, knife making involves hard steel.
bigger & heavier = more rigid
which is a good thing

and the foot print for the heavier RF 45 clone is pretty much the same. Ditto for getting it moved to the basement- just takes a bit more time for making it into smaller pieces

Trying to future proof can be a never ending battle, like buying a boat (twofootitis).

Is the bench mill going to do everything you need now and in the future?

Knee mills can be more work to get into the basement but are still manageable in pieces. Taking it apart also lets you inspect all the parts for wear (if buying used).

My older 8x30 KBC is just over 6' tall with the lid open so height shouldn't be an issue and I don't foresee needing anything bigger for what I do. No electronics or no relays just an magnetic on/off switch.

View attachment 30573

The knee on the mill is like having a QCGB on the lathe, once you get one you'll never go back.
Unless you need the mill now I would try and wait for a used machine, you are in the machinery heartland so it shouldn't take to long for something to come around.
Just my 2cents.
I think you’re right, I am going to be patient…

Tecnico

(Dave)
I think you’re right, I am going to be patient…
Patience is good, it allows you to look at options and what-ifs for free.

@Brent H makes a good point.
BRIDGEPORT MILLING MACHINE on Kijiji https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-busin...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

They don’t take up as much space as you would think - parts are readily available- same with clones …

While we're on BPs & BP pattern clones there is a ton of maintenance info available on the web for these machines, starting with H & W Machine Repair, including tear down and assembly videos on youtube. I've used these as reference for my First Mill.

If I read correctly, you're looking for a smaller benchtop/mill/drill but while you're shopping it doesn't cost to look at "experienced" full size BP or BP pattern clones. Why? When the right one comes up it's often less costly than a new smaller benchtop/mill/drill and you have full size capability. Maybe not as convenient if you have to get it down basement stairs but that's another detail to think through in case it turns into that.

Using me as an example, I considered the capability/cost tradeoff and concluded that if I could find a good (enough) BP/BP clone then I was ahead on a few counts. First, the price would be less than a less capable new smaller machine, second, buying pre-owned I would avoid the depreciation & tax of a new purchase, third, if I decided to sell the machine I could probably get about what I paid for it because the availability here is thin and last it's a full size machine.

I found a nice, good condition First LC1-1/2TM, 1987 vintage from a one man machine shop about 30 minutes drive from me and managed to negotiate a fair (to me and the seller) price. There is a CDN dealer for the First, it's still in production and parts are available.

To put in perspective, in my neck of the woods, about a half dozen machines of various qualities come up in the run of a year and I got lucky but I also did my homework and had competitive pricing documented plus I had researched enough to know how to get it back to my shop. That homework investment is valuable while you are being patient waiting for the right machine to pop up.

I don't know your circumstance but for me it would be convenient to have it in the basement but after having it for a while I think that the High Council of Gowron would have vetoed it based on how much noise it makes and the aroma of smoking cutting oil that comes off it on occasion. I think it's better off in the detached shop. The lathe is in the basement though and slides under the radar. ;)

Good luck with the hunt, the right machine will land in your lap!

D :cool:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I think this machine would be big enough that I would never need to upsize in my life... (except the Z could be taller)..........

Zim-5-vertical.jpg

View attachment 30561

I had to google world's largest mill....

DYKmtHi-1.jpg