• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Looking for a lifetime mill to buy

I’m probably going to buy new because the used market is insane. I have it down to a Baileigh VMD-15 and a Craftex cx611. I want a tool to last until I die and never be stuck without replacement parts so I lean towards the Baileigh as it’s a mill drill style. I want to know how much accuracy difference is there in a mill drill to a cx611?? I want your opinions and thoughts on the matter…

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I want a tool to last until I die and never be stuck without replacement parts
Hmnnn how long do you plan on living? And how much use is the mill going to see? Parts in the long term for any machinery is a gamble but remember that you're a machinist and you can make many parts!
As far as accuracy, I suspect you would learn how to use either machine with similar accuracy. Skills of the operator are almost as important as the capabilities of the machine when it comes to achieving accuracy.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Where are you located? How much room do you have? How much are you willing to spend?

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
The round column is the simplest, no boards, no controllers, no gears, and they have been made/imported by a whole bunch of resellers for many years, if you want dead nuts simple, easy to fix, that's the one

I would spend max 4K and I need a smaller unit that can be disassembled to go in a basement. Electronics scare me especially in 10-15 years when you can’t source replacement boards or proprietary size motors which aren’t mounted on the exterior rather inside the cast housing.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The VMD15 is simple (as is its twin the King PDM-30 from KBC). It is solid and less expensive than the CX611 but IMO I'd avoid the round column of the PDM30 type mill.
I believe that the CX611 style mill (with the Z-axis wheel at the front is discontinued or about to be discontinued. The (more traditional) Z-axis handle at the back is less convenient but also simpler. The CX601 would be (IMO) a better choice over the CX611. It is $100 more but it is a bit heavier & has a bigger table (both good things in the long run). Any of these choices (PDM, 611 or 601) are a handful to get downstairs but the difference here is not significant. A case of beer + a few friends (and a trip to a moving equipment rental shop) can solve a lot of moving issues.
I'll help - with or without the beer.

Downwindtracker2

Mills take more tooling than lathes. Even Chinese is expensive. Precision costs real money no matter where it is made.

When I looked, I wanted something with roughly a 8"x32" work envelope . A baby Bridgeport style like the rare Clausing 8520 or one of the clones would have been perfect . Second choice would have been a RF-45 or one of it's clones. They both would have roughly the same footprint. I ended up with a well used RF-45. You can read about my journey on RF-45 Mill/Drill Done.

Perry

Ultra Member
Any of these choices (PDM, 611 or 601) are a handful to get downstairs but the difference here is not significant. A case of beer + a few friends (and a trip to a moving equipment rental shop) can solve a lot of moving issues.
I'll help - with or without the beer.
Just for reference the weights on the X3 (Similar to the 611)

X3 head weights 50 lbs with out the motor
X3 base 70 lbs
X3 column 100 lbs.
(I used a bathroom scale well holding the part.)

X3-parts.JPG

Easy enough by yourself.